HZJ79 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After wrecking my LS2 80 with all the gear, i decided it was time to step into a 70 series. VDJ series are terrible motors, plus the diff issues made me steer clear of those, hdj79 would of been ideal, but attract a premium price, so the trusty 1hz powered ute will do the job just fine :)

The day i picked it up. 1HZ with a DTS turbo, 33in muddies, an alloy tray plus some cheap LED spotties.
49895791_10156853542121308_48522925602504704_n.jpg

Since then all ive done has been a good service, wire in boost/egt guages supplied by VDO, fit a 12v aux fuse box in the engine bay, a 3 in side exit exhaust, and ordered a canopy setep.

So, how many years until it is 25 years old?

Nice looking truck, even if the steering wheel is on the wrong side :steer:

We have to wait until a vehicle is 25 years old to import them into the US. We miss out on a lot of nice Toyota's.

Nice ute. This will serve you well.

BTW nothing wrong with the 1vd. I've had 3 1hz's, 2 1hd fte's, and 2 1vd's. 1vd are very reliable if maintained to a standard.

1.2 million is on this one

20190129_182921.png

So, how many years until it is 25 years old?

Nice looking truck, even if the steering wheel is on the wrong side :steer:

We have to wait until a vehicle is 25 years old to import them into the US. We miss out on a lot of nice Toyota's.

Its an '06 so you do the maths :p our import laws are pretty terrible too, but we do get 70 series so its not all bad :)

Nice ute. This will serve you well.

BTW nothing wrong with the 1vd. I've had 3 1hz's, 2 1hd fte's, and 2 1vd's. 1vd are very reliable if maintained to a standard.

1.2 million is on this one

View attachment 1896254

They arent too bad to drive, but not for me, i6 ftw

Got the canopy on the other day, bought an AGM battery to mount inside, now just to wire it all up. Will have camp lights, a fridge, some cigarette plugs, solar panel and some other stuff permanently mounted

Changed a bit since last time.. note the rear suspension.

Hey mate, is that a superior kit? What do ya reckon, do it again? I'm considering it for my hdj79. Thanks

Hey mate, yeah it is. I would do it again for sure. I did mine for comfort reasons, ive always found leaf springs to be too harsh for my liking, I'm sure there is ways around it but i prefer coils so thats what i did. It definitely drives like a linked 4x4 now but, a bit boaty so ill investigate some new shocks to fix that.

Now tell me if I’m correct, but laws in Aus are strict, that kit needs govt engineering certification?

Its has pre approval from the manufacturer, it says so in the first sentence.
VSB14 Approved = vehicle standards bulletin 14

Just about every product in Australia must comply to Australian Design Rules which are part of the Australian Standards. If they dont and someone gets injured, you dont have a leg to stand on. The AS are in line with ISO

but laws in Aus are strict

I wouldnt call them strict, just different to the US. You cant have diesel landcruisers until they are 25 years old and in some states , not at all. I can import virtually any vehicle made in the US or anywhere if I choose to do so as long as its not already available here.

Last edited:
Yep, got the mod plate done already, easy as pie.

The manufacturers of these things have their own engineers sign off on them and then that gives all the units approval.

Made up a little board to house all my 12V gear. Easy to add accessories now

power board.png

@Pat80 ..... "VDJ series are terrible motors, plus the diff issues made me steer clear of those."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not that we'll ever see that engine in the U.S. but what are these reliability issues you speak of?

@Pat80 ..... "VDJ series are terrible motors, plus the diff issues made me steer clear of those."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not that we'll ever see that engine in the U.S. but what are these reliability issues you speak of?
Ppf can be a cause of issues on the new motors and the injectors are known to give issues, especially if a second fuel filter is not fitted. Injectors can't be had for much cheaper than $750 an injector so it's really expensive. Being a common rail diesel it can also be vulnerable to issues with poor quality diesel which is actually quite wide spread in aus. Other than that, with the correct treatment, which all diesels should have, the 1vd-ftv has actually proven to be a very solid motor with many examples raking up huge kms. Maybe pat80 can say what he feels on it?

Not sure on the diff issues, only thing that I can think is the wheel track, other than that components wise they are mostly the same as the eailer cruisers.

Its just a personal prefereance really, any toyota v8 is a pain to work on. Starter motors in the vallley, low slung alternators plus sensitive to fuel, there are many getting around that have lots of K's and no issues, but for me a 1hz/dt/ft is the way to go. And the track correction in the rear axle is just dumb

1577846935850.png

Picked up a warn highmount for cheap the other day. Will be moving the old winch to the rear end eventually.

PLans for it include a 6hp motor, brakeshaft mod, change the wire to rope, new solenoid pack and drain/fill plugs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom