HZJ77 Wheel Sizing Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, apologies if this was covered somewhere before but I've been reading searched posts all week without a great answer so I figured I would just ask. Pretty much a cruiser newb although I seemingly catapulted myself to the top of the truck pile in my area with this 70 series acquisition :D

I recently imported a '92 HZJ77 from BC into the States, and desperately need some new tires but don't want to mount them to the odd 16" alloys currently on the truck (previous owner indicated hating them and a constant battle to balance). Preferably I want to avoid using spacers, but if I have to, what are people running?

So far I have found from others' postings that I'm looking for a 3.5" backspace to clear the disc calipers. Elsewhere the OEM wheels are listed as 15" with a -20mm offset (weird). What's my hub bore size?

I would like to stick with 16" wheels preferably as down the road I want to rock 255/85s. For right now I have a quote for BFGoodies in 235/85r16 as that's the tire size on the truck currently. I saw Toyota OEM wheels linked in a few threads but the price for them has seemingly skyrocketed in the years since that was posted, they're hovering around $160/wheel from what I've found, which is a bit spendy for me on top of the tires.

Will these US Wheels fit? How about some cheaper wagon wheels or Mickey Thompsons (which I can only find listed with 3.6" or 4" backspacing)? Or these Visions, which only list offset? Are there other places I should be looking besides sites like Summit Racing, 4WP, etc.?

Sorry if this is a lot, but I'm reeling from all the options and seemingly strange needs of the truck and figured I would go to the community for some help.

Here's a glamour shot while I was in Nevada during the return trip:
1474972-786d6ed3fe960d013e6fb6ec5ff6218f.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys, apologies if this was covered somewhere before but I've been reading searched posts all week without a great answer so I figured I would just ask. Pretty much a cruiser newb although I seemingly catapulted myself to the top of the truck pile in my area with this 70 series acquisition :D

I recently imported a '92 HZJ77 from BC into the States, and desperately need some new tires but don't want to mount them to the odd 16" alloys currently on the truck (previous owner indicated hating them and a constant battle to balance). Preferably I want to avoid using spacers, but if I have to, what are people running?

So far I have found from others' postings that I'm looking for a 3.5" backspace to clear the disc calipers. Elsewhere the OEM wheels are listed as 15" with a -20mm offset (weird). What's my hub bore size?

I would like to stick with 16" wheels preferably as down the road I want to rock 255/85s. For right now I have a quote for BFGoodies in 235/85r16 as that's the tire size on the truck currently. I saw Toyota OEM wheels linked in a few threads but the price for them has seemingly skyrocketed in the years since that was posted, they're hovering around $160/wheel from what I've found, which is a bit spendy for me on top of the tires.

Will these US Wheels fit? How about some cheaper wagon wheels or Mickey Thompsons (which I can only find listed with 3.6" or 4" backspacing)? Or these Visions, which only list offset? Are there other places I should be looking besides sites like Summit Racing, 4WP, etc.?

Sorry if this is a lot, but I'm reeling from all the options and seemingly strange needs of the truck and figured I would go to the community for some help.

Get used to it. The feeding and care of this truck will only INCREASE as time goes by and 25+ year old deferred maintenance starts rearing it's ugly head.

At your earliest convenience ..... U.S. 70's Registration.
Thanks

The 70 series Toyota 16" OEM steel wheels are worth every penny at $160. You won't regret it.

I get that it is a bit spendy for some to accept for steel wheels.

Get used to it. The feeding and care of this truck will only INCREASE as time goes by and 25+ year old deferred maintenance starts rearing it's ugly head.

Harsh, but painfully true.

How much different are 80 series wheels? I thought there was something in the chev truck parts bin with 3.5" offset. Anything that fits a 60 series will fit a 7*
And the 1990s model Australian Hilux and Prado wheels are only 10mm less offset than the 7* series wheel, so something off a US 4runner or the Lexus 470 might be also be close.

The 70 series Toyota 16" OEM steel wheels are worth every penny at $160. You won't regret it.

I get that it is a bit spendy for some to accept for steel wheels.

Hello,

x2.

OEM steel wheels are easier to balance and can take a lot of punishment. Aftermarket wheels are not that easy to balance; I am not sure about the torture tolerance. Ask me how I know.

Juan

An OEM wheel engineer told me once it is better to stick with a wheel designed for a specific vehicle rather than a wheel designed for multiple applications.

How much different are 80 series wheels? I thought there was something in the chev truck parts bin with 3.5" offset. Anything that fits a 60 series will fit a 7*
And the 1990s model Australian Hilux and Prado wheels are only 10mm less offset than the 7* series wheel, so something off a US 4runner or the Lexus 470 might be also be close.

Good point on the 60 wheels but the 80's are 4.5" b/s.

Cheers

An OEM wheel engineer told me once it is better to stick with a wheel designed for a specific vehicle rather than a wheel designed for multiple applications.

As long as the wheel is within the load specs I cant see it making much difference. I have ROH heavy duty steel offroad rims, must be 10 years old now. Still balance easy, no rust. They were not cheap but in retrospect worth every cent.

Mickey Thompson classic III aluminum rims with 3 5/8" BS. Chose the rims for lower rolling resistance as they are aluminum and cut unsprung weight, easy to get locally, and cheap enough considering they fit without a hiccup. Tires are 255/85/16 Toyo MT.

Probably going to end up running spacers for more stability at some point.

IMG_2625.JPG

I think @joekatana has JUST posted a set of wheels for sale. Act fast, he has good stuff and
it doesn't seem to last. Nice rig, BTW, you'll be happy with that one.

Here are some comparison pics of my 77, procomp 15x8 7069 wheel 3.75 BS, 33x10.5 BFGs. First two pics are with 1.25" spacers, the next two are without the spacers. I also have an OME 2-3 lift springs. I think the wheel size and tire with the spacers is a perfect look, tires are flush with the fender sides and tire looks proportionate on the truck. I think a 15" tire best suits the truck. I am running without the spacers for the peace of mind. I tried hard to find a 2.5" BS wheel, but short of custom making some I could not find any so I gave up. I believe the stock wheels are somewhere around 3.5" BS, which is not much better.

Cheers

IMG_2818.JPG

IMG_2820.JPG

IMG_2828.JPG

IMG_2831.JPG

this is with the spacers

IMG_2759.JPG

By the way, without the spacers, the wheels clear the calipers by 1/8"

Mickey Thompson classic III aluminum rims with 3 5/8" BS. Chose the rims for lower rolling resistance as they are aluminum and cut unsprung weight, easy to get locally, and cheap enough considering they fit without a hiccup. Tires are 255/85/16 Toyo MT.

Probably going to end up running spacers for more stability at some point.

View attachment 1672727

Is that a Bigfoot baby in front of your 77 ?

I just recently went through the same thing buying wheels and tires for my PZJ77.

There are a few things to consider. First, does your truck have fender flares. In that tiny photo it looks like it does. In that case you can get by with less backspacing/more negative offset. Keep in mind though fender flares don't help with fender clearance if you are flexed and trying to tuck the tire in the fender. Too far out and you are going to hit the edge of the fender. Also keep in mind backspacing is very dependent on the wheel width for you to figure out where your tire will end up.

Backspacing generally doesn't have anything to do with caliper clearance. Sometimes with steel wheels for different backspacing they will flip the rim and weld the centers in the other direction and that is where you run into clearance issues most of the time relating to backspacing. I know my truck has 15" wheels on it. There might be some differences that I am unaware of between the HZJ77 and PZJ77, but if you can clear 15" wheels, 16s of most any flavor should be just fine. Occasionally you will hear of issues with caliper faces sticking out further then the wheel mounting surface and wheels with flat spokes radiating from the mounting surface, but that also wouldn't be backspacing dependent.

Your first two choices are 6" wide wheels and the second two are 8" wide. Most 255/85 have a recommended rim width range of 6.5-8.5". I would imagine you could squeeze them on a 6" wheel just fine, but just know it is not recommended.

I got my new wheels from TireRack. They had the best prices on wheels by a very small margin and the best prices on the tires I wanted by a pretty large margin so I went and got the package deal from them. Their system treats you like an infant so to get what I wanted I had to kind of trick it by saying I had an 88 4Runner and then kind of back out and add different tires to my package. Then they called me like 3 times telling me what I ordered wouldn't fit and I had to explain 3 different times what they were going on. I think the tech's head is still spinning.

On one of my past 4Runners I was running 35x12.50s on black steel rockcrawler rims and I actually bent on of them rock crawling (go figure). It was a little wobbly after that run and I swapped the spare on and the wobbly one was my spare from then on. After that, I no longer trust steelies.

Of the wheels you posted, I would pick the Mickey Thompsons because of my distrust of steel wheels. I found it more difficult to find wheels with the proper backspacing in 16". 15" wheel selection opens up a whole new world of choices. Like I said, I know my PZJ77 can fit 15" wheels, because it is running them right now. 15" wheels tend to be a little cheaper and the tires tend to be A LOT cheaper. Just something to think about.

Hopefully I actually cleared some things up and didn't make it worse. Happy hunting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom