HZJ77 suspension seat repair? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
I’ve got a 1990 JDM HZJ77 EX that came with the factory suspension seats in front. Between the car being 30+ years old and my butt being a bit more than the 100kg (220#) max setting on the spring adjustment, the suspension shocks are starting to leak & bottom out on bumps.
I’ve searched here and asked Dr. Google for advice but I’ve come up dry on anything that addresses repairing the suspension on my seats.
Does anyone have experience with fixing these that could give me some advice and counsel? I’m really not interested in replacing them, I just want to get them back up and running, and I wouldn’t hate being able to adjust them for more than 100kg.

It does not appear to be a serviceable part. If you look it up, you can buy the whole suspension unit, but not parts of it. You actually use yours? I don't use mine and leave it in locked position.

It does not appear to be a serviceable part. If you look it up, you can buy the whole suspension unit, but not parts of it. You actually use yours? I don't use mine and leave it in locked position.
Really ? I only lock em while offroading otherwise I leave them to do their actual job.

Really ? I only lock em while offroading otherwise I leave them to do their actual job.

Maybe I have the same problem as the OP and they don't really "bounce" either due to my fat ass exceeding what is normally built for Japanese body weight or shock is worn out so I just leave it locked. Since this thread has been started, I should take a closer look at my own.

I wonder if a supplier like McMaster-Carr would have small shock absorbers that could be made to fit? I really enjoyed the suspension seats in my first Prado and kept them unlocked all the time unless traveling over very bumpy terrain.

I always leave my suspension seats unlocked, even on the trails. They are a fantastic upgrade for a leaf spring Cruiser.

Last edited:
Maybe I have the same problem as the OP and they don't really "bounce" either due to my fat ass exceeding what is normally built for Japanese body weight or shock is worn out so I just leave it locked. Since this thread has been started, I should take a closer look at my own.
Come on your pretty much a lightweight compared to me 😂
I always leave my suspension seats, even on the trails. They are a fantastic upgrade for a leaf spring Cruiser.
Well Larry once you pass that 200lb mark you will need to lock them offroad or your back and kidneys will object every time you bottom out on it ;)

Come on your pretty much a lightweight compared to me 😂

Well Larry once you pass that 200lb mark you will need to lock them offroad or your back and kidneys will object every time you bottom out on it ;)

Even though I am a fat boy, I have not encountered back or kidney objections. Also, I don't recall my seat bottoming out hard or frequently.

Hello,

x2.

I remember reading that a member replaced the shocks in his suspension seats with generic ones from truck suspension seats. He had the springs custom fabricated as well.

Juan

I'll be watching this discussion. I've wanted to refurbish my own suspension seats for a while now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom