HzJ76 ( 2007) with H151 box and permanent 4x4-Thoughts. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All
I have a HzJ 76 with 320000Km on the clock and I think the curse of the R151 is looming.
I have the chance to get a H151 box and transfer case from a FzJ80 and would like to fit it to my 76.

Good idea bad idea?
I know that the HZ would probally do better with a H150 but it should still manage with the slightly shorter 1st and 2nd, and there are always thoughts of a HD engine or turbo one day.

What am I in for:
Prop shaft lengthen shorten?
Georbox mounting modifications??
275 clutch plate with H151 spline pattern
HD bell housing?
Existing clutch and fork??
80 series hub plates in place of free wheeling hubs??
Fly wheel pilot bearing?

Any pannel beating of the floor and tunnel to get the bigger box to fit.

Any long term problems with the 76 front end and high pinion diff with permanent 4x4.
Be great to hear from anyone who has done this

G

Any pannel beating of the floor and tunnel to get the bigger box to fit.

I doubt it, the aussie HDJ78/79 series had these or H150 gearboxes and the underneath is the same. I'm not sure if the t/case shifter will line up with the current hole in the floor. Take some careful measurements , because there are some serious problems if you try and use a transmission from a 100 series, but I don't know about the 80 series.
In all honesty I would rebuild the R151. They go ok with a single driver who takes care of them. The bad name they have is mainly from the mining and car rental game. If you do want to upgrade to a 1HD, you can still sell the R151 as a going concern.

Any long term problems with the 76 front end and high pinion diff with permanent 4x4.

I doubt it because I think the 80 series is using a similar diff. But there are kits that convert it to a 2 wd. Not many go in this direction

H150 = 275mm / 21 splines
H151 = 300mm / 14 splines

both trannys are the same length, not sure if you can keep your R151 t-case ..

Be great to hear from anyone who has done this

G

Jan Slabber from Bethlehem has done it to his 76(and I understand a few others) but it was mated to a 1FZ-FE so give him a call ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom