HZJ71 Soft top vs. HZJ 73 FRP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
I am up in Canada and have finally saved enough to buy a used RHD cruiser from Japan. I used to have an FRP 4runner when I was younger and really enjoyed the removable top, that is what originally got me interested in the HZJ 73 frp. A tough, heavy duty, reliable, diesel Toyota with the FRP top seemed like the perfect vehicle.
After doing some research it looks like it may be a bit of a pain dealing with the FRP top on the 73, most do not have the half rear doors and not all have the roll bars. That means that I would have to leave the full doors on with the top off, (which I do not like the look of) or try and find/buy/make half doors for it. Also, it seems difficult or impossible to get a soft top kit for this truck.

Then I came across the HZJ 71 soft top. A few seemed to be sold in Japan and Europe. Looks like a good compromise, although, would be pretty cold driving in the winter. Also, not a huge fan of the shorter wheel base look.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with either putting a soft-top on the HZJ 73 or driving a soft-top HZJ71. Also, pros and cons of either vehicle? Model year I was looking at was 2000.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Dan

It has been discussed many times before but I have yet to see anyone actually convert a factory equipped FRP 73/74 to a soft top using OEM Toyota parts like my FJ73 soft top. It can be done but either the cost or the inability to just jump back and forth between soft top and FRP seems to scare them from actually doing it. Most aftermarket soft top kits for the 73/74 are ugly to me but your taste may vary. @joekatana may be working a nice aftermarket option for the 73/74 but not sure how far along he is on that.

I would just buy the HZJ71 soft top and be done with it. I am jealous you can get one of those already. ;)

I got my 73 thinking I might one day work through the FRP top removal bit. Every time I consider it, I scare myself off due to how invasive it is to the vehicle. I'm not sure I could ever get everything back together to a presentable level. If I did my thought was just removing the rear doors (and making sure nothing is loose in the cabin that could get sucked out the back).

2 cents: if running it topless is realistically a primary reason for getting one of these trucks (not sure how many weeks out of the year this is ideal in Canada either) then go with one that is already set up for that. Otherwise, I would sit myself down with a mirror and ask myself how big a priority it is. In my area (Texas) wheeling with the top off or a soft top is a recipe for a tree branch in the face + all manner of detritus in the vehicle (including mud sling) or a ripped soft top. It just wasn't worth the reality, and like you, I favored the medium wheel base. Haven't regretted it, especially with the abnormally cold winter this year.

I have a FRP BJ74. In the summer I remove the top and go convertible. The longer wheelbase is a bit
of an advantage in ride and cargo room. The 71 series is same length as a 40 series, about 4'.
73/74 series are 5' from rear of seat to rear doors.

To clarify, all FRP tops have a steel hoop inside of them. In order to remove the FRP top fiberglass portion you
can leave the steel hoop on the truck, as well as the spreader bars from the steel hoop to the windshield frame.
This leaves an open roof and if you leave the front doors on, the window frame on the doors disappears so it's not
so noticeable. The fiberglass top is pretty easy to remove and isn't all that heavy. I do mine by myself. Just have
a outdoor shelf to slide it onto.

As far as rear doors with removable frames. Rear convertible doors can be bought for a huge price. I can attest that
there are some 73/74's hitting the end of their lives in Canada and finding a set from a parts truck is possible.
I've been lucky and have found two parts trucks in the last few years.

My recommend would be to get the FRP 73 is you can find one. Its Canada, a hardtop in winter is nice to have.
Making a convertible in summer isn't too hard to do.

Here's a couple of shots of mine while being restored. It has just the hoop and spreader bars on. It looks ok.
A simple bikini top using Bestop FJ40 brackets on the windshield frame can be installed for less than $100.
I got lucky and came across a pair of convertible doors for the rear. But I also have a couple of sets of junkers
that can and will be cut for summer use for some friends rigs here.

IMG_1331.JPG
IMG_1333.JPG

Here is a pic in full convertible mode. My truck loses the top in April until October.

IMG_3207.JPG

If I was choosing between short wheelbase and medium, and was shopping. I'd go medium wheelbase for ride, cargo and versatility.

BTW, I'm kind of curious since I just noticed. Do 71 Series come with HZ motors or just B / 3B / PZ motors?
Hey Dan, which end of this country you from?

The 73/74 series are a much nicer vehicle to ride in. The 70/71 is probably better in a tight spot offroad, but apart from that I never really saw the point of them. The extra cargo space in the MWB is also a plus.

BTW, I'm kind of curious since I just noticed. Do 71 Series come with HZ motors or just B / 3B / PZ motors?
Hey Dan, which end of this country you from?
Thanks for all the advise everyone, I will mull all that over. Cruiserpilot, for your 2 questions, the 71 does come in an HZJ, atleast in Japan and i'm from a farm near Kingston, Ontario, just a quick 40 hour drive down the road from you!

In addition, does anyone have an easy way of telling from photos if the rear doors have the removable tops? It seems like on the 71's the tops are often painted a different color to the rest of the vehicle, but on the 73's its difficult to tell.
Thanks!

Unless the owner paints the upper frames...OEM rear doors with removable tops will have black frames around the window area regardless if it is on a SWB 70/71 or MWB 73/74.

It has been my observation that every 70/71 factory soft top has the OEM rear doors with removable tops though. Not the case for 73 soft tops though.

Even some FRP top 73/74 have the removable top doors as well but that seems to be more of a market specific thing.

Thanks for all the advise everyone, I will mull all that over. Cruiserpilot, for your 2 questions, the 71 does come in an HZJ, atleast in Japan and i'm from a farm near Kingston, Ontario, just a quick 40 hour drive down the road from you!
I have another couple of Cruiser Head friends out your way - TO and Peterborough. I'm hopefully working right in
that area this summer. Try to connect when I'm there. BTW as well, check out the club pages for Eastern Canada. There are a few guys trying to keep a network going in Ontario.

In addition, does anyone have an easy way of telling from photos if the rear doors have the removable tops? It seems like on the 71's the tops are often painted a different color to the rest of the vehicle, but on the 73's its difficult to tell.
Thanks!
There are rubber grommets in the backside of the doors if you look that indicate the bolt positions that hold
the window frame on. So on the smaller door, there are the three on the left side, one on the right side.
On the larger door, only one grommet is visible on the left side, the other go in through the jamb.
These are from a 1989 BJ71 that had a 3B and was in fact a factory convertible vehicle.

IMG_1080.JPG

Unless the owner paints the upper frames...OEM rear doors with removable tops will have black frames around the window area regardless if it is on a SWB 70/71 or MWB 73/74.

It has been my observation that every 70/71 factory soft top has the OEM rear doors with removable tops though. Not the case for 73 soft tops though.

Even some FRP top 73/74 have the removable top doors as well but that seems to be more of a market specific thing.

Hello,

From what I have seen, 73/74 removable top doors are a market specific thing. JDM 70/71s usually have them; other markets vary.

The roll bar varies. Present on ZX grade models, it may or may not be there in LX or standard trucks.

Being in Canada, you can source these doors from one of the many Cruisers ending their days there. Same thing for the roll bar.

A mid wheelbase truck makes a great project rig. It is a good balance between off road mobility and inner space. Removing the rear inner panels to unbolt the FRP top may be awkward for some but it is no big deal. Make sure you have a place for the top once you remove it. It is good to have someone to help. If you look enough, you can find an OEM soft top; however, you need a soft top windshield to fit it.

The 15 year rule allows you to get an HZJ74, available in the JDM between 1999 and 2004, with coil springs on the front axle. Or an HZJ71 if you opt for the short wheelbase model.

Juan

Last edited:
The 15 year rule allows you to get an HZJ74, available in the JDM between 1999 and 2004, with coil springs on the front axle. Or an HZJ71 if you opt for the short wheelbase model.

Juan

I can't wait for these trucks to be legal in the States. :)

Hello,

From what I have seen, 73/74 removable top doors are a market specific thing. JDM 70/71s usually have them; other markets vary.

The roll bar varies. Present on ZX grade models, it may or may not be there in LX or standard trucks.

Being in Canada, you can source these doors from one of the many Cruisers ending their days there. Same thing for the roll bar.

A mid wheelbase truck makes a great project rig. It is a good balance between off road mobility and inner space. Removing the rear inner panels to unbolt the FRP top may be awkward for some but it is no big deal. Make sure you have a place for the top once you remove it. It is good to have someone to help. If you look enough, you can find an OEM soft top; however, you need a soft top windshield to fit it.

Juan
Thanks Juan,
What were the big differences between the ZX, LX and Standard trucks? I am guess some bells and whistles, but is there anything specific? Also, any info on how the HZJ74 and HZJ73 compare driving/durability wise? Or are they basically just the same truck with the front leaf springs changed to coils?

Thanks!
Dan,

Hello,

Juan

Juan,

I figured it was a market specific thing but I wasn't sure. What I wrote in this thread is of my own observation and is not fact. There is a lot of good and bad info on this forum so I don't want to pass off bad info as factual information.

You are going to need a lot more than just the proper channel fitted windshield frame to fit a OEM soft top to a 73/74 that currently has a FRP top but I won't get into the specifics of that. Simply put, it is just not a simple "Remove the soft top and slap on the FRP"...but that has been discussed here before several times already.

All the JDM ZX trim 70's I've seen have power door locks/windows and power lumbar. Most seem to have fender flares but not all.

Thanks Juan,
What were the big differences between the ZX, LX and Standard trucks? I am guess some bells and whistles, but is there anything specific? Also, any info on how the HZJ74 and HZJ73 compare driving/durability wise? Or are they basically just the same truck with the front leaf springs changed to coils?

Thanks!
Dan,

Hello Dan,

Regarding grades, from what I have seen:
  1. Standard grade Cruisers have mechanical windows, semi-floating rear axles, black front grill, black windshield and rear windows weatherstrips.
  2. LX grade Cruisers have power windows and power locks, as well as chrome windshield and rear windows weatherstrips. They also have fabric seats. Sometimes a floating rear axle is available.
  3. ZX grade Cruisers have LX features and full floating rear axles and front/rear lockers. An upper stop light, mounted above the rear doors, is also present. An additional roll bar is also present.
Pre-1999 Cruisers have suspension seats in the LX/ZX grade, as well as electric locking hubs in the front axle.

Driving/Durability wise, all 70 Series Cruisers are similar. Keep in mind that the 70 Series are designed to work reliably with little, if any, maintenance. Post-1999 70 Series models are just as tough; coil springs at the front axle improve off road handling a bit, because they are less bulky than leaf springs.

From experience, a front axle with coil spring is a little less prone to get stuck than a front axle with leaf springs. On the other hand, when upgrading the suspension, you just need two spring leaf packs in a post-1999 truck; in a pre-1999 model you need four.

If you are under a budget, I would recommend an HZJ73, preferably LX or ZX. Otherwise, go for an LX/ZX HZJ74.

Hope this helps.

Juan

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom