Hysteer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have not bent a single tie-rod since I moved my rod up and behind the axle. As far as ackerman is concerned these babys rock. My turning radius improved enough that the guys following me noticed. When they couldn't make the turns I did they asked. Anyway, my rig is SOA and with tie-rod relocated I don't need to be as careful and it has opened up a few new lines that I couldn't use before.

Honestly, given that my drag link and tie rod are nearly parallel, running mine behind the axle would be little benefit, since the drag is still exposed.

I did finally bend a tie rod this year tho....first one ever. Ran it on a double arm below the springs and never one problem. Hi-steer it and it bends...lol

.250 wall DOM too...now she's sleeved and about .375 wall...outta hold up ;)

I'd be curious on hydro assist fitment with the rear-mount rod as well...

You're SOA right Woody? Certianly putting the tie rod behind the axle will not work in all situtions and for some set-ups. It appears to be a nice alternative for some though.

I do know he has made some arms for a RHD BJ7* series, that has been SOA.

gb

yeppers, SOA for now (grinder/torch attacking the rear tomorrow tho!)...and I'm quite sure Luke has something for my application...I happened to hear of his arms tho AFTER my AllPro's were installed...

Honestly, I had zero complaints with my initial welded double arm tho...but wanted to upgrade knuckles to minitruck, slap on some aisins, and doing histeer just seemed part of the natural progression...plus, it put my tie rod up where hydro assist brackets would work much easier.

Anyone with pics of hydro assist on Luke's arms??

(or maybe, just get off my buttkiss and search his site...hhhmmmm)

Holy Crap Woody, your progression sounds eerily like what I am doing right now. Should get my Hy-steer kit in the next couple of days. The Hy-Steer seemed a must after I destroyed my drag link. Okay, so the drag link was stock. It didn't last too long.

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=8412;start=msg71631#msg71631 date=1070628163]

[/quote]

Funny you should say this....

Going to be installing a RAMROD with this(AGR kit) Should be a fun time!

-Steve

My apologies Poser, I was not attempting to make this into a SU vs. SO debate.

Make sure you give us a review on the 4x4 labs steering, I have been looking into that alot lately.

Dan

No reason to apologize man, this is an open forum last time I checked, and if you have an idea, get it out here, related or not. This is about sharing info, throwing ideas around, etc. While I have done some things, there are far more people out here that have done more. Further, if we can all gain insight to their knowledge, hopefully some of us will not have to pay the same tuition in this game that others already have! Saving money and doing things once, well, sometimes you can not save cash, because that is what something costs, but only doing something once, and being able to read a little about the pitfalls that others have had, certainly proves to be a great help to not only the new people with their first truck, but to the folks that have been around this for a while.

Good luck!

-Steve

Recieved my steering arms and ends from 4X4labs today. I do not own a camera, and hope that the one that has shot all the pictures of things at the shop, shows up again on Saturday. Then we will have some for ya!
They look pleanty beefy, I am very excited about installing this!

Talked with Luke for a while again, specifically about hydro-assisting this. He made a dual arm for the drivers side, that the rod would bolt to, and then mounts to the axle, so it would assist right to the knuckle, opposed to the tie rod. May have to look into this more....

-Steve

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=8412;start=msg71631#msg71631 date=1070628163]
[/quote]
I borrowed a ram from a friend who is mid project and hasn't installed it yet for a fit check on my rig (can't afford my own yet). Looks like it'll be a piece of cake. I'll need to weld up a mount on the pumpkin area of the axle housing for one end of the ram and the other end bolted to the tie-rod.

[quote author=rusty40 link=board=1;threadid=8412;start=msg76194#msg76194 date=1071536155]
run dual tie rods!!
[/quote]
I was thinkin about this just the other night...
makes sense doesn't it?
One arm for RAM assist, and the other with the drag link.

I've seen it at a crawling event on a D60 but not on a toy.
Drag link to the right.
Tie-rod above and behind axle.
Hyd assist to the left.

I did finally bend a tie rod this year tho....first one ever.

Hey Woody, aren't you forgetting about that earlier tie rod -- you know the one made from a somewhat less dense metal than steel :D :D If I were you I would forget about it too ;)

Lukes arms are nicely engineered and made. The would be a good upgrade on any Cruiser. For big tires and hydro-assist steering, I think it is helpful to spread out the forces acting on the steering arms. For this reason, on my truggy I have double arms on both D60 knuckles. The tie rod is mounted on the rear of the arms (behind the axle), the front passenger's arm receives the drag link from the power steering box and the driver's side front arm receives the input from the hydro cylinder. Pics are here http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~jrice/cruiser/FJ45/Steering.html. You may note that my steering arms make no attempt to achieve correct Ackerman geometry -- they are absolutely straight (no offset between the front and rear). Since this rig is strictly for off road use, I saw no need to address the Ackerman geometry. That philosophy may be wrong, however.

The correct ackerman angle improved the turning radius of my FJ40 enough that others noticed I could out turn them. Makes a big difference in the slickrock especially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom