hydrolic suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i'm no where near this field, but just asking if you guys in the states see much in the way of hydrolic (sp.) controlled coil overs, height ujustable.

there are a couple of 40's in aus that run them in comps.

I've read that some people do have it...but it's hasn't appeared as a "common" mod since the competitions don't allow forced articulation. cruiserrg considered it on his current rig, and I bet researched it pretty well.

I like the concept, but the added weight is a killer. Personally, airbags would be the route I'd take...

Yeah I have tossed around the idea a bunch for my new rig. As woody said the weight of the added cylinders and fluid would be a lot. Plus you would need another pump in addition to steering.

I think mounting the cylinders would take some doing just because of packaging concerns. Beauty of coilovers is their small size around the wheel. I would look at mounting the upper coilovers to a bellcrank that is controlled by the cylinder. This would allow the coilovers to still allow dampening, and have the cylinder just adjust height.

I do think you have to look at what you want to achieve with the hydraulics. Being able to adjust all corners would be nice, but I think priorities would be to dive th front in climbs, and lift the body if high centered. For me I have decided to use the winch to snug the front end down, and air bags to raise the body. Since I want to run low CG I will place ride height as low as possible and use the air bags to raise only in highcenter situations.

i got a mag article, a FJ45 that gets 30 inches of forced lift......

looks huge, and absolutely dwarfs his 44's.

he also has a setting where they sit at a relatively low (clear 44's still) setting, and they just have like 30 inches of droop

looks killer though

a friend of mine did an airbag setup on a D44 for his tacoma, and says it works incrediblly well. It's only on the front, but can really keep the body more upright, enhancing his stability. He *did* have to mount the bags far inboard, since they only have about 10" of travel.

There was a picture in this month's Peterson's, of some guys creation that used hydraulic forced articulation at all 4 corners. His front swingarms were the opposite of standard IFS arms, they rotated at the midsection and were long. I'll try to scan in a picture. Looked very heavy and cumbersome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom