Hydro steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rascal said:
I have always set mine to 90lbs. Is that too high?

I always just crank on them untill I can't tighten them anymore....what does that translate to in ft/lbs :D

TxCruzr said:
I always just crank on them untill I can't tighten them anymore....what does that translate to in ft/lbs :D

Depends on the size of your nads, and the length of the ratchet... :flipoff2:

cali-cruiser said:
hey eskimo how do you have a 12 valve in a 98. did you swap it in.
Since Rich missed this, I'll take the liberty and answer.
98 dodge cummins where 12 valves, 98.5's are 24 valve. I have a 98.5, rich has a 98 and is missing half his valves. :)

woody said:
lol...the top studs which attach the arms to the knuckles are notorious for loosening....mine have been once or twice in a few years, and it's rare, but it's cheap insurance to check them in the morning and lessen any chance that TODAY was your unlucky day...

79 ftlbs, 17mm, and my torquewrench is always handy.

Not intending to hijack this thread, but I am a little concerned about my knuckles now. I am preparing to do my spring over, and have just finished upgrading my 78' knuckles to mini units for my Marlin hi-steer. My QUESTION is, what is the right torque setting for the knuckle and steering arm? My "landcruiser" manual (Haynes) says this should be torqued to 49 lb ft. My final torque ended up around 60 lb ft, as I assumed the knuckles needed a little more pre-load for the high steer. According to this thread, I am still way shy of where i need to be.
Also, now that I have mini truck knuckles, should I then be torquing them to mini truck standards, which again is different than cruiser standards....?
What I am getting at is if you talk to 10 guys, you get 9 different answers? So who's right?

Atlas43 said:
My "landcruiser" manual (Haynes) says this should be torqued to 49 lb ft. My final torque ended up around 60 lb ft, as I assumed the knuckles needed a little more pre-load for the high steer. According to this thread, I am still way shy of where i need to be.

I cannot say what the correct torque should be, but IIRC, the haynes has the wrong spec listed.

Got a picture of that bad boy?

Atlas43 said:
Also, now that I have mini truck knuckles, should I then be torquing them to mini truck standards, which again is different than cruiser standards....?
What I am getting at is if you talk to 10 guys, you get 9 different answers? So who's right?

Minitrucks have bigger studs - higher torque. 75lb-ft. (I doubt 80 would hurt anything)

Don't trust Haynes for anything

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom