Hydraulic winch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh yea. With a solid 5-12 gpm 2000-3000 psi on board hydraulic system, you can let your mind run wild with all sorts of "unimogish" possibilities, including, compressed air, log splitter, generator, plow, as well as a winch that can actually pull.

G'day,
I have been running the OX Hydraulic winch down here in AUS for a while now, used to have it on my Hilux, then change to the 93' 80 series Poverty Pac 1HZ (natural).

Very simple system to put in, havent had any problems with overheating just using the standard pump. The winching is very slow, but will go all day long and you are right that the recovery (high speed spool) is much faster then the Electric. Not that means a lot in the end.

I have only had to use it twice, so seem like a bit of an overkill but it did payoff although slow. The winch is rated at 10,000 lb and it did struggle a bit on the hill of the last one, but this was countered by driving at the same time.

To use the winch it doesnt need to come off idle too much, between 1000 and 1500 rpm just for safety sake.

The only reason I got the Hydraulic over the Electric was the Hilux was too much fussing for the second battery and it looked like I wasnt going to be keeping it for too long... If I had the choice again, probably end up the the same choice.

Only real problem is that people get irritated that its a little slow....

cheers
Merv
93 Poverty Pac
Dar, Aus

hefty_merv said:
G'day,
I have been running the OX Hydraulic winch down here in AUS for a while now, used to have it on my Hilux, then change to the 93' 80 series Poverty Pac 1HZ (natural).

Very simple system to put in, havent had any problems with overheating just using the standard pump. The winching is very slow, but will go all day long and you are right that the recovery (high speed spool) is much faster then the Electric. Not that means a lot in the end.

I have only had to use it twice, so seem like a bit of an overkill but it did payoff although slow. The winch is rated at 10,000 lb and it did struggle a bit on the hill of the last one, but this was countered by driving at the same time.

To use the winch it doesnt need to come off idle too much, between 1000 and 1500 rpm just for safety sake.

The only reason I got the Hydraulic over the Electric was the Hilux was too much fussing for the second battery and it looked like I wasnt going to be keeping it for too long... If I had the choice again, probably end up the the same choice.

Only real problem is that people get irritated that its a little slow....

cheers
Merv
93 Poverty Pac
Dar, Aus

Merv, so considering your last time use of struggle; would you prefer the 12.5k or stick w/ the 10k? I myself am considering the hydraulic over electric, but that's in the future.

Carl

lc1996 said:
Merv, so considering your last time use of struggle; would you prefer the 12.5k or stick w/ the 10k? I myself am considering the hydraulic over electric, but that's in the future.

Carl

I would not install a PTO or hydraulic winch without installing a dry sump oiling system for my trucks motor. The reason why is that both PTO and Hydraulic winches fail to operate when the engine is not running, and if you have tipped over/rolled your engine isn't going to be running.

If you are pulling someone ELSE out PTO or hydraulic are allright choices.

That said, when it comes time for me to mount a winch, it's going to be a Warn ELECTRIC winch on some sort of securable multi-mount.

lc1996 said:

Carl

Yes the 12500 lb would be a better choice for the landcruiser, as if I had to run it thru a block I think I would probably still be there... :)

As for the 4bee flipped over, the only thing I would be worrying about is "Can I get out?" I usually dont go to many places by myself so there's always another 4bee to right me again if it ever happens ---touch wood--- hopefully not.

I'm like Merv, I won't be wheelin seriously by myself. Besides, if my rig isn't running I got more serious problems to worry about than a winch. Most likely it would be for safety/last resort tool to have. Thanks for the input fellas.

Carl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom