Hydraulic steering (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

itbrokeagain

SILVER Star
Threads
I’m sure someone has tried it. Will the power steering pump on a 1fzfe run full hydro steering? Does a bracket exist out there to run an external pump? It’s time I think

0911B82B-6047-4EF9-B17C-70A31A5733EC.jpeg

The short answer is no, the stock pump does not flow enough fluid or pressure. I used the following Trail gear setup: 2.7L 3.4L Tacoma Full Hydraulic Steering Kit - https://trail-gear.com/steering/full-hydraulic-kits/full-hydro-steering-kits/2-7l-3-4l-tacoma-full-hydraulic-steering-kit.html for the 3.4 L motor. I made a block off plate for the existing PS pump. Mounted the orbital where the box was. I then took the AC Compressors bracket and made a mount out of 1" SQ tube. This way i was able to use the belt tensioner from the AC compressor. Works great, no issues to date, this is my second season. I can turn 40's with one finger. I will post pictures. You can PM me if you have questions.

I know lots of guys who use saginaw P-pumps on full hydro systems. Waaaay cheaper than Trail Gear and waaaay easier to replace when you burn one up. I prefer the ones that came on mid eighties chevy's w/hydroboost brake systems. They make more pressure at rpm and more flow at idle. Easy to get adapters to run AN lines and fittings . Never seen one on a 1FZ but I'm sure somebody has done it.

The short answer is no, the stock pump does not flow enough fluid or pressure. I used the following Trail gear setup: 2.7L 3.4L Tacoma Full Hydraulic Steering Kit - https://trail-gear.com/steering/full-hydraulic-kits/full-hydro-steering-kits/2-7l-3-4l-tacoma-full-hydraulic-steering-kit.html for the 3.4 L motor. I made a block off plate for the existing PS pump. Mounted the orbital where the box was. I then took the AC Compressors bracket and made a mount out of 1" SQ tube. This way i was able to use the belt tensioner from the AC compressor. Works great, no issues to date, this is my second season. I can turn 40's with one finger. I will post pictures. You can PM me if you have questions.
On the your trail gear pump. Which size pulley did you used?

I just measured the pulley it is 5 1/4". When you order you need to tell them you want the V-belt pulley not the serpentine belt. I got the wrong pulley and had to do a pulley swap.

The short answer is no, the stock pump does not flow enough fluid or pressure.

You or someone you know tried to run full hydro with a 1FZ? Or are you just guessing

When I was doing the research, I contacted Slee and discussed with them how they did it. They told me, it would not flow enough volume or pressure. I don't think very many have done it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom