HVAC Systems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had the HVAC guy out to add some freon to the AC. Our system is 14 years old and were told that the expected life is 12-15 years. The sales guy came out and quoted us $10K+ on on a new Lenox high efficiency system with a 2 stage A/C. I about choked and told him that was way too much. I estimate the the expected savings to be around $20 a month. He is going to call the supplier and see if he can find any deals on excess inventory items. Should I really be considering a new system? I have Carrier funrnace and A/C unit that was installed in 1998. What should be a reasonable price? My house is about 2,200 sq feet. I think the A/C unit is around 2.5 ton. My contractor grade sytem is 14 years old and I am happy with the way it has worked. Is it really worth ugrading to more deluxe system?

Id say svc the old one and keep it for as long as it works . If that was $20 a month saving just for the time you use the a/c thats only saving you about $100 (5 months running a year)a year or so not worth it yet . As for the price 10K sounds really high . If you are going to replace do it at the end of the season to get a way better price when theres no work. right now its money making time for the HVAC with this being the 1st hot spell

with the very mild winter we just had here in NJ the HVAC guys were begging for work and cutting retarded cheap deals for everything

I paid about $2200 for an end of year run of R22 system about SEER 13.5 and spent $800 for the install.
I say way too much and either look for a better deal or find a guy on CL who has used inventory.

Good luck.....

A 2-stage system is pretty unnecessary for anything less than 5 tons.

For a brand new Lennox heat pump system (I selected a 3 ton for the heck of it, R-410a, 13 SEER) with a backup high efficiency condensing natural gas furnace (90 MBtuh, 95% AFUE) you're looking at approximately $4000 just in equipment after contractor markup. That includes a new thermostat, 2" concentric vent kit, and a low ambient control kit for the heat pump.

No way in hell should you be getting charged $10,000 for this work. All the infrastructure is there, it's a simple remove and replace. A VERY conservative estimate for installation would be around $2,000.

$6,000 total for this job.....so I think you're getting the shaft...

Shouldn't be any higher than 7 grand tops.....and a good price would be around 6.

I got a quote from guy fixing my neighbors A/C. Top of the line Rheem $6500. Bottom model Rheem $4K. He thinks I should put a few more years on my current system.

Shouldn't be any higher than 7 grand tops.....and a good price would be around 6.

I got a quote from guy fixing my neighbors A/C. Top of the line Rheem $6500. Bottom model Rheem $4K. He thinks I should put a few more years on my current system.

I have systems at the college that are 18-19 years old. If you need to check the unit price, shoot me a PM with a model number, I'll check it against my suppliers if you need it. Guy sounds like a square shooter, make sure to get his card.

Our system is 14 years old and were told that the expected life is 12-15 years.

I have been in my house for 19 years. The POs put the A/C in sometime in the eight years they were here before that. Each spring I clean the coils out, oil the fan motor, and look things over. Every few years I have someone service it to make sure the refrigerant is where it should be.

We have a split system and our 20 year old Goodman A/C (10 SEER) just needed 3.5 lbs of R-22 at a cost of $187.50. Since we've only lived here 1.5 years (this is the start of our 2nd summer), our inspection from the purchase said the A/C unit would like die anytime, and our plan is to live here for 20 years minimum, we decided to buy a Bryant 4T heat pump (17 SEER). Installed cost was $7200, but we got a 15% discount since we replaced our NG furnace 6 months ago, which brought it down to $6120, plus they credited the cost of the R22 to the balance.

The tech said we'd see a 75% reduction in natural gas usage over our furnace alone, and approximately a 45% reduction in electrical costs from the A/C unit. Plus, knowing that our A/C shouldn't be going out in Aug when it's 120 here is comforting to know.

They'll be here 6/12 to install it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom