husky vs. craftsman (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So yesterday I got to my closest Sear to finally replace my broken 20 year old 1/4 ratchet.

Knowing they have a lifetime warranty on this type of hand tool, I wasn't worried.

When I talked to the kid behind the register and showed him the ratchet, he proceeded to reach under his register and pull out a cardboard box with loose tools. He found a 1/4 ratchet and handed it to me.

I looked at it and saw that it was all scratched and wasn't the same type(the one I had you could turn from the face of the ratchet in tight situations).

I asked him why I couldn't get a new one and he said "We only give you new ones if you turn in a broken tool from our "Polished" line of hand tools. What the hell is up with that!? The tool I brought in was old, but it was polished and not like the one he gave me.

I'm really starting to think that SEARS sucks and think that it may not last too much longer if they keep up this kind of bull****.

Makes me want to go back and ask for my old tool back and tell them to go shove a pry bar up SEARS corporate's A!

So yesterday I got to my closest Sear to finally replace my broken 20 year old 1/4 ratchet.

Knowing they have a lifetime warranty on this type of hand tool, I wasn't worried.

When I talked to the kid behind the register and showed him the ratchet, he proceeded to reach under his register and pull out a cardboard box with loose tools. He found a 1/4 ratchet and handed it to me.

I looked at it and saw that it was all scratched and wasn't the same type(the one I had you could turn from the face of the ratchet in tight situations).

I asked him why I couldn't get a new one and he said "We only give you new ones if you turn in a broken tool from our "Polished" line of hand tools. What the hell is up with that!? The tool I brought in was old, but it was polished and not like the one he gave me.

I'm really starting to think that SEARS sucks and think that it may not last too much longer if they keep up this kind of bull****.

Makes me want to go back and ask for my old tool back and tell them to go shove a pry bar up SEARS corporate's A!

More and more Craftsman hand tools are being made overseas. The wrench sets and sockets you have are much better than the crap they're producing today.

The really old craftsman ratchets were made by Stanley and are bullet proof. They used to sell a rebuild kit for a penny. Now I wish I would have bought a hundred of them.

I'd raise hell and demand to get a new ratchet.

I have not purchased any Craftsman hand tools in about 2 years. Their quality is going downhill and I can do much better buying used Snap-on or Mac tools.

That has always been the policy on returning ratchet wrenches. They rebuild the ratchet wrenches in back and recycle them to customers. You only get new off the shelf for screw drivers, box wrenches, sockets, etc. If they only have abused wrenches in stock I would ask for a rebuild kit and just rebuild your own.

It seems like all the modern ratchet wrenches are made poorly compared with the same tool 20 years ago. I have some 20 year old German made ratchets and a old Craftsman with the crow foot selector that are just starting to show signs of wear. I bought a Husky 3/8 ratchet two years ago and had to swap it out after about a year of use when it became so sloppy it started to skip teeth. It took me getting the manager to the customer service counter to explain to the employee what Lifetime warranty on their hand tools meant. The employee was astounded that I was able to return a broken tool and receive a new replacement. I have stuck with Sears as I never have any issues returning anything at my 4 area stores.

Gave up on Craftsman/husky ratchets. I traded in a 4-5 y/o Craftsman ratchet and broke the rebuilt one they gave me in two weeks. It's still in my toolbox with stripped gears. Snap-on only and I bring my own lube.

More and more Craftsman hand tools are being made overseas. The wrench sets and sockets you have are much better than the crap they're producing today.

The really old craftsman ratchets were made by Stanley and are bullet proof. They used to sell a rebuild kit for a penny. Now I wish I would have bought a hundred of them.

I'd raise hell and demand to get a new ratchet.

I have not purchased any Craftsman hand tools in about 2 years. Their quality is going downhill and I can do much better buying used Snap-on or Mac tools.

Do you know if they still offer those rebuild kits or rebuild servicing?

... When I talked to the kid behind the register and showed him the ratchet, he proceeded to reach under his register and pull out a cardboard box with loose tools. He found a 1/4 ratchet and handed it to me. ...

Referb or referb exchange has been warranty policy for ratchets for a very long time, pretty much forever. All of the big names have kits and repair them, in my years in the tool truck, I installed more kits than I care to remember.

Referb or referb exchange has been warranty policy for ratchets for a very long time, pretty much forever. All of the big names have kits and repair them, in my years in the tool truck, I installed more kits than I care to remember.

Well, I went back to Sears and got my 'ol ratchet back. Haha :flipoff2:

Now, do you have or know of where I could go to repair it?

Thanks!

Well, I went back to Sears and got my 'ol ratchet back. Haha :flipoff2:

Now, do you have or know of where I could go to repair it?

Thanks!

Most often Sears is your best bet. Most stores have/had a guy who repairs ratchets, talking to that person is your first/best bet. Unfortunately some of the older (better) ratchets are long discontinued, kits no longer available.:frown:

They are simple mechanisms, have you taken yours apart? Sometimes it's just sticking, lack of lube, often with continued use, that can cause broken parts. If you can contact a good "ratchet repair guy" they maybe helpful. Some keep parts from old ratchets, so may have a serviceable used part?

Some have had luck getting vintage kits from ebay, etc. Craftsman has a forum with lots of discussion about the "good old tools", sourcing old kits, parts, etc.

Craftsman.com | Craftsman Club | Craftsman Tool Collection

Thanks! I found those forums when searching for rebuild kits. Sears doesn't seem to carry them anymore in the U.S. but get this, they do in Canada. WTH?

So, I looked on Ebay and found some for a different type of Sears ratchet, but some of the internal pieces looked like the ones that are broken in mine.

Can't hurt to try, eh?:meh:

Most often Sears is your best bet. Most stores have/had a guy who repairs ratchets, talking to that

person is your first/best bet. Unfortunately some of the older (better) ratchets are long discontinued, kits no longer available.:frown:

They are simple mechanisms, have you taken yours apart? Sometimes it's just sticking, lack of lube, often with continued use, that can cause broken parts. If you can contact a good "ratchet repair guy" they maybe helpful. Some keep parts from old ratchets, so may have a serviceable used part?

Some have had luck getting vintage kits from ebay, etc. Craftsman has a forum with lots of discussion about the "good old tools", sourcing old kits, parts, etc.

Craftsman.com | Craftsman Club | Craftsman Tool Collection

I have few Proto tools and they are my pride and joy .. actually my favorite at all it's a 3/8 proto industrial ratchet .. have a 1/2 husky ratchet and a torque wrench that do just right for the price that I paid .. have other craftman that do well too ..

Just Proto to me value vs quality ..

I know that I'm coming into this thread really late... But just had to drop my .02. I got most of my tools from my Dad, gotta love that guy. He raced lots of different stuff throughout the years and only used Craftsman tools. Well, I broke one! And wouldn't you know I took it to Sears and the pimple faced kid behind the counter said that I wasn't even alive when that tool was made. So, I asked to see the manager. When he came out, he asked what the problem was so I explained it to him. He looked at the other guy and said, "What seems to be the problem? This is a Craftsman tool! Replace it!" And, he walked away. I think it's just like everthing else in life, timing.

While enjoying convenience of replacing broken craftsman hand tools at Sears, I have to say the quality of Craftsman has gone down in drain, especially for the past couple of years. I recently tried to rebuild a ratchet from the 30's and noticed there was a little play from the worn pawl. Went to sears to ask for a repair kit, I was told they don't have the repair kit for old model. The manager was kindly enough and offered a replacement. But with both new and old one in hand, I could easily tell the new one even with shining chrome finished felt so cheap comparing to the craftsmanship from the good old days...:doh: It is a bummer that even though you can get a replacement for the old tools, I am not sure you actually want to the way the quality goes...

Last edited:
Been there, done that. Twice now I've taken a broken ratchet in to Sears for an exchange - and ended up walking back out with my old one. I couldn't trade my grandfather's beautiful =V= series ratchet for their new offering with it's dull finish and tiny plastic directional lever.

I brought mine back home, took it apart and was lucky to be able to repair it by cleaning it up and making a new spring for it.

My two cents worth: my favorite go-to ratchet is S-K. I've heard people rave about Snap-on for years and years, but could never get used to the shiny, round handle. My hand slips right off, so I much prefer the knurled handle on the S-K.

How do you pro mechanics prefer that smooth, shiny round ratchet handle that Snap-on has?

It really does reduce fatigue if youre wrenching all day. They are nice. They are also not replacement warrenty. You have to find a truck and have it repaired. That's a huge beef I have with Snap On. The truck doesn't come by the shop. I have to take my stuff down the street and have another shop hold on to it until the guy shows up. They might not see him for a month. At least the Sears and Home Depot are right where they were the last time I needed something repaired.

ACE now carries Craftsman and does not repair. They just replace. Still - the ratchets are not worth it. Kmart crap.

Have never had a problem with Craftsman ... unfortunately here in Canada they are harder to find as Sears stores are closing in some locations and those that have tools seem to be carrying a smaller selection compared to what I see in the States

A cartoon years ago (Esquire?) had a well dressed middle aged gent in a business suit and a similar aged women in a fur coat standing attentively at a counter while the salesman was demoing a hand tool (cant remember exactly what) and the caption was along the lines of: a well made tool is a blue chip investment ... silly thing to remember but it has stuck with me for many years.

One of my most used and prized possessions is a snap on ratcheting screw driver ... broken many ratcheting screwdrivers .. but not this one!!

FWIW I also purchased a multi (108+/-) piece set of Stanley labelled sockets etc couple of years ago...so far they have been just fine.

I havent broken a 3/8 or 1/2 ratchet for years but I run into metric (and imperial) 6 and 12 points that dont fit as well as they should occasionally...

(BTW ... for those complaining about service levels at Sears etc in the States ... you are just too damn spoiled!!! Come up to Canada some time! Here you are lucky to even get acknowledged let alone served politely in most big box stores. Last few times I was in Michigan and New York state the store staff couldn't do enough to help out!)

Garage sales, and craigs list can be your Freind, I have tools from just about every mfg and age.. I agree with what was said about the older s&k ratchets have 2 and they are great..

If you hunt and know what stuff is worth used tools are great. You can get some great deals. 20% of new is what I work off of but some stuff I will pay 50% if I want it bad..
Snap-on are worth the money if you make your living doing it. For the rest of us we use what works and we can afford.

What I like

Good ratchets,
Sockets with a warranty so you can use them like you shouldn't..
Swivel sockets, snap on(3/8 plain work great with a air gun and last others come apart )
Screw drivers, what fits your hand well. Learn to regrind the tips..
HF air tools, don't last any better than the $ stuff, buy 2-3 and throw away when bad..

H freight isn't bad on some things. I have a set of there 1/2 impact sockets I bought out of necessity one day. They are thick and nasty and I have literally beat them to death. used them in a press, hammered and used the 650ftlb 3/4 drive gun on over and over never had them crack for the $ worth it..

Good luck

I buy JH Williams, Snap-on, Wiha, Knipex, Wera and Used Craftsman.

Husky is not worth buying, they just don't keep the same line-up. Its like mix and match, I am a tool snob... Can't stand it...

If I need it now, harbor freight I go and pay next to nothing. If I like the tool or start using it more than 2-3 times, I upgrade.

German>USA>Harbor Freight=Craftsman>Husky

I should say husky tool bags are the only tool Husky really beats everyone else at...

How 'bout Lowe's/Kobalt tools?

I realize this thread is several years old, however; I just found out about Lowe's policy on replacing "lost" sockets! Sure, it's a pain in the ass to have it mailed to you but still...! Also, i read an article in The FamilyHandyman magazine about a comparison between several brands of ratchet wrenches, including craftsman, husky, kobalt and a couple others and out of all of them, craftsman wrenches require the most degrees of turning, meaning less wrenching in tight quarters than all the rest because they have the fewest number of "teeth".