husky vs. craftsman (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What a great story of personal accountability. Go cry somewhere else.

Back when I started buying tools in 97 or so, I was 'sold' on Husky due to their being American made, and lifetime no questions asked warranty. The store even had a display of broken Craftsman and SnapOn tools.

I've only broken 2 tools, one was an end wrench, the other was a 3/8" drive ratchet, both Husky brand.
When I took them back to the store (05 timeframe) I was told I had to call a number and I would have a new one in a few WEEKS. I told them that's not the tool I bought. They begrudgingly replaced them. I also noticed that none of the Husky tools have USA stamped on them any more... They all say CHINA... But the prices aren't any better than when they had USA stamped on them....

I also have a Kobalt 1/4" drive ratchet handle and after using it for about a year it doesn't positively engage any longer. I will take that back to Lowes and see if they replace it or tell me I have to call some obscure number...

Since the Husky let-down, I have buying the Napa in store brand and Craftsman (Napa is closer to my house than sears). I'd like to get some SnapOn ratchet handles, but I have NEVER seen a SnapOn truck anywhere near my house (same goes for MatCo, Mac, Cornwell and a few others).

Since I am not earning a paycheck with my tools, I feel that Craftsman is good enough.

While snap on and all of those pro brands are certainly very nice, I haven't found a retail outlet (and physical location I can return broken tools to) that is open on the weekend or after 5pm.

Last edited:
Husky angle head die grinder just stripped out the worm gears. Thinking I/R on the next one.

Those frequently lost 12mm sockets, I buy them in pairs regardless of make.:lol:

Last edited:
I agree on the craftsman ratchets sucking, I've broken every one I've ever had. I must say I have quite a few Stanley tools and I don't think I've broken but one or two in the last 15-18yrs. Those were sockets I was using on an impact. They seem just as good as the craftsman stuff in my experience. I do like the variety that craftsman has, much more specialty stuff.

I do have a few random Proto and Blueline tools and they're great. I keep saying I want to start upgrading to that level but it's tough to justify when I can't break what I've got!

I try to mostly use Snap on while in my shop. My Craftsmen have pretty much become the tools in my vehicles, because they do not get used as much. I also will lend out my craftsmen but not my Snap on or Macs.;)