SOLD Hubcap clips for 16" Toyota steel wheels, Gauging interest. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HandForged

Built Not Bought!
Threads
After making enough of these for my project, I don't think there is enough interest to warrant making the tooling to be able to produce them for sale.

Offer withdrawn. thanks

Last edited:
I am interested if the price is right. you should base them off these wheels though since it looks like many are going this route. I do like the wheels that you have shown but I think the ones below are closer to stock with a 7" width.

I am interested if the price is right. you should base them off these wheels though since it looks like many are going this route. I do like the wheels that you have shown but I think the ones below are closer to stock with a 7" width.
the wheels that I am using can be found in 16x7 or 16x8. I just chose the wider, plus they are readily available for 25-50.00 each versus three times that.. it seems to be the most popular for those looking for the 16" wheels.

Yeah the 12 Series are spendy, I just got Summit down to $118 but still seems like a lot.

Where are you finding those wheels, are they stock steel wheels from a Tacoma or Tundra? What is the backspacing?

Yeah the 12 Series are spendy, I just got Summit down to $118 but still seems like a lot.

Where are you finding those wheels, are they stock steel wheels from a Tacoma or Tundra? What is the backspacing?
The 16x7 wheels are from the 2000's Tacoma. I think they are all steel spare wheels. Not sure on the backspacing, I can measure it shortly. I "think" the 16x8's are spares on the Tundra, not completely sure as these came from a salvage yard in Missoula. They had stacks of them. I paid 25.00 each and they are nearly perfect in condition as they had never been on the road. My guess is that most salvage yards that keep imports are going to be the same. If I can keep a supply of them I may offer the wheels with the clips already installed. At least I had thought about that.

I may have to check Whitey's Wrecking here in Spokane but I did not recall that had any last time I checked. I just looked on their site for the 1stgenTundra 16x7 and they note that they are only spares.

I may have to check Whitey's Wrecking here in Spokane but I did not recall that had any last time I checked. I just looked on their site for the 1stgenTundra 16x7 and they note that they are only spares.

those are the ones you want. Still just a steel wheel.

Purchasing a spare off of 4 different vehicles, they are usually pretty rusted up pulling the tire off, they are usually pretty rusted up . . . I would rather just buy them new. Do you have an OEM part number to check the price? toyotapartsdeal.com

I don't but I guess it would be easy to find. I think it matters where you get them. The ones I have are essentially new in condition. No rust on them just dust. Feel free to purchase anywhere you like but I'm not doing the leg work. the only thing that I have seen is that there are two iterations of the 16x7... one with a 3" backspacing and one with a 3.5" backspacing. One has a rib inset and the other is straight into the mounting surface. I can make clips for either. Pics taken there at the yard.

wheel.jpg

wheel1.jpg

Copy that, I wasn't asking you to do any leg work, I was just trying to hep you out. I just purchased the 12 series smoothies.

I like the picture that says "temporary use only", how could that be haha.

Copy that, I wasn't asking you to do any leg work, I was just trying to hep you out. I just purchased the 12 series smoothies.

I like the picture that says "temporary use only", how could that be haha.
I thought it was funny as well, this guy had about 4 stacks of wheels. I saw a few with those stickers on them. I'm guessing they had a donut tire or something? Not sure.

Hi, I would be interested in those clips if the price is right! Looking to outfit at least 4 sets of rims plus the spares. Keep me posted!

I will have some pictures of these today.

Last edited:
Like a bunch of us, I want to run 16" wheels on my cruiser. In measuring the wheels that I have to install the clips for the hubcaps I realized that pieces commercially available would not work. So, being a full time blacksmith and metal worker I am considering manufacturing these clips to work with the New style 16" Tacoma steel wheels and possibly the 17" steel wheels as well. My version of the clip is made with a heavier gauge 15n20 steel. Formed, heat treated and annealed. These are slightly wider than the originals and the bends are not as shallow, while keeping the proper shape, these will not suffer from the work hardening and cracking of a sharper bend. Each clip is shaped individually and have 2 mounting holes instead of the single on the factory versions. This will allow them to be placed into a wheel with more backspacing while keeping the proper height for the hubcap. Two connection points will also stop the clip from moving on the flat inner surface of the wheel. This will allow you to spot weld them in place, bolt them in or use a stainless steel pop rivet to secure them. I can also provide dimensions for drilling the new wheels for the clips if needed. I will be making two or three versions of the clip to be used with the different steel wheels that are available. The first will be for the 16" tacoma steel wheel that is the most popular. The second will be a heavy duty replacement for the OEM clips and the last will be for use with the 17" tacoma steel wheels at some point. I want to keep these as inexpensive as I can but they are labor intensive to make. The pricing will be as follows. 6.00 per clip in raw steel. 7.00 per clip in self etching primer finish and 8.00 per clip in black or grey powder coat. Turn around time will obviously be longer on the powder coated clips as I will need to send those out. The others are finished in house.

View attachment 2187115

View attachment 2189766

View attachment 2189767

View attachment 2189768
Like a bunch of us, I want to run 16" wheels on my cruiser. In measuring the wheels that I have to install the clips for the hubcaps I realized that pieces commercially available would not work. So, being a full time blacksmith and metal worker I am considering manufacturing these clips to work with the New style 16" Tacoma steel wheels and possibly the 17" steel wheels as well. My version of the clip is made with a heavier gauge 15n20 steel. Formed, heat treated and annealed. These are slightly wider than the originals and the bends are not as shallow, while keeping the proper shape, these will not suffer from the work hardening and cracking of a sharper bend. Each clip is shaped individually and have 2 mounting holes instead of the single on the factory versions. This will allow them to be placed into a wheel with more backspacing while keeping the proper height for the hubcap. Two connection points will also stop the clip from moving on the flat inner surface of the wheel. This will allow you to spot weld them in place, bolt them in or use a stainless steel pop rivet to secure them. I can also provide dimensions for drilling the new wheels for the clips if needed. I will be making two or three versions of the clip to be used with the different steel wheels that are available. The first will be for the 16" tacoma steel wheel that is the most popular. The second will be a heavy duty replacement for the OEM clips and the last will be for use with the 17" tacoma steel wheels at some point. I want to keep these as inexpensive as I can but they are labor intensive to make. The pricing will be as follows. 6.00 per clip in raw steel. 7.00 per clip in self etching primer finish and 8.00 per clip in black or grey powder coat. Turn around time will obviously be longer on the powder coated clips as I will need to send those out. The others are finished in house.

View attachment 2187115

View attachment 2189766

View attachment 2189767

View attachment 2189768

I’m in!!!

How much for four wheels?

Curious about a price for a 4 wheel set
Price is in the first post... raw steel they are 6.00 each. so 144.00 for enough to do 4 wheels. I think I have been telling people 150.00 shipped.

Price is in the first post... raw steel they are 6.00 each. so 144.00 for enough to do 4 wheels. I think I have been telling people 150.00 shipped.
Okay got it. Apologies for the quick scan. I'll be in touch if I decide to go this route.

After making enough of these for my project, I don't think there is enough interest to warrant making the tooling to be able to produce them for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom