How to wire it all up and have it work (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
So, I've built up the system that I originally had, added more, took away some, and want to add more. I'll outline what I have first. Then ask a few questions to those with much more knowledge than I.

Here's what I have:
Odyssey 2150 Main Battery
Odyssey 2150 Auxiliary battery
National Luna Dual Isolator and controller.
3 Renogy solar panels
1 Renogy controller

Here's how it is connected:
1. The Renogy panels are connected to the controller, and controller to auxiliary battery with a 30A fuse.
2. The National Luna Dual Isolator is connected to the main battery positive with 100A fuse at main battery side.
3. The National Luna Dual isolator is connected to the Auxiliary battery positive with a 100A fuse.
4. There is a negative cable from main to auxiliary battery.
5. There is a 1/0 cable running from Auxiliary battery to the rear where I have a blue sea systems fuse panel.

Here's what I want to add:
Shore power to trickle charge, or charge as needed both batteries.
Can I connect shore power / charger to only the Auxiliary battery? Would that charge both?
Do I need to connect shore power / charge to both batteries?
What are the issues, or better said, how do I do this correctly?

Thanks for any input, I appreciate it.

Reactions: RFB
Sounds like the National Luna only checks voltage on the primary battery to determine when to combine the primary and aux battery. >13.1v turns on a count down timer. After 5mins and the voltage is greater than 13.1 it combines the two batteries. Disconnect is when voltage drops below 12.7

So in your case if you wanted to install a shore charger (trickle charger) to charge both batteries it’ll have to be installed on the primary battery. Once the shore charger charges the primary to > 13.1v and for 5 mins the National Luna will engage its solenoid and combine the two batteries.

Moving your solar setup to the primary battery would accomplish the same thing.

Changing to a bidirectional sensing combiner( like the blue sea ACR). Would allow you to connect the charging source ( solar, alternator, mains power) to either battery.

So, I've built up the system that I originally had, added more, took away some, and want to add more. I'll outline what I have first. Then ask a few questions to those with much more knowledge than I.

Here's what I have:
Odyssey 2150 Main Battery
Odyssey 2150 Auxiliary battery
National Luna Dual Isolator and controller.
3 Renogy solar panels
1 Renogy controller

Here's how it is connected:
1. The Renogy panels are connected to the controller, and controller to auxiliary battery with a 30A fuse.
2. The National Luna Dual Isolator is connected to the main battery positive with 100A fuse at main battery side.
3. The National Luna Dual isolator is connected to the Auxiliary battery positive with a 100A fuse.
4. There is a negative cable from main to auxiliary battery.
5. There is a 1/0 cable running from Auxiliary battery to the rear where I have a blue sea systems fuse panel.

Here's what I want to add:
Shore power to trickle charge, or charge as needed both batteries.
Can I connect shore power / charger to only the Auxiliary battery? Would that charge both?
Do I need to connect shore power / charge to both batteries?
What are the issues, or better said, how do I do this correctly?

Thanks for any input, I appreciate it.

One quick suggestion is to add a negative cable from Aux battery to the chassis, you should always gound your negative terminal.

I have dual AGM batteries with the Blue Sea ML-ACR for when the engine is running in my 200. I also have a NOCO 2-bank Genius on-board charger that I top off the batteries once a week. It's like having 2 chargers, they work independently to maintain each battery. The charger is mounted behind the grille on a custom bracket that was a total PITA to make, but it's a great setup. I am about to install the nice NOCO accessory socket so I can plug in the truck without opening the hood. However, I do have to flip the dash switch on the ACR when charging so it keeps the batteries isolated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom