how to test paint a area on your rig?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2000UZJ

Where's My Hammer?
Threads
So I would like to spray a large portion of my 100 a different color, the thing is I don't actually want to do it until I see first hand how it will look. I have photo chopped many shots and angles and they all look good. But I can't make the call based on something I see on the screen, I need to see it first hand. What would you guys put over the paint incase I wish to go back? Of course it will be a temp job, but I would like it as nice as possible. I've tried huge pieces of painters tape on the hood etc, but you can see all the edges and looks like crap. Next idea would be a clear bra, but pretty expensive just to see how it looks.

Any ideas?

TIA

The only thing I can think of is a large-ish spare part.

You'd have to ask one of the experts (certainly not me), but I'd think that as long as you didn't mess with the existing clearcoat, the fresh paint should come right off. I'd think you'd have to remove all of the clearcoat in order to paint anyway, so leaving it on should protect whatever part you paint from permanence.

Would definitely ask an expert though.

You'd have to ask one of the experts (certainly not me), but I'd think that as long as you didn't mess with the existing clearcoat, the fresh paint should come right off. I'd think you'd have to remove all of the clearcoat in order to paint anyway, so leaving it on should protect whatever part you paint from permanence.

Do not do this. The paint will not come off easily. Although tt would probably flake over time.

What color did you want to paint it. Similar to any factory colors?

If after a good photo shop and you aren't still ready to take the plunge. Keep it the color it is.

My 100 is silver, and I'm testing with black. So if I mess up it will be bad. I've done several photoshops and still not ready. Looks like it's staying silver, but I still want to know of some good methods.

I think the 3M ClearBra would work. But it's so expensive just to see how it looks

Glad there's an expert around. Sorry for the bad advice--

(Have an Accord that we got repainted on the cheap after a collision, and that's what happened to it. No paint left where it was sprayed over clear, flakes off in dollar-bill size chunks. No more making assumptions about paint/body work.)

No good way to do a "trial" paint job. Closest suggestion I'd give would be to use a vinyl wrap if what you are looking for is to judge how a two-tone job is going to look when finished. And that is going to be expensive too.

No good way to do a "trial" paint job. Closest suggestion I'd give would be to use a vinyl wrap if what you are looking for is to judge how a two-tone job is going to look when finished. And that is going to be expensive too.

I was thinking the same thing but its still not going to be cheap to do the wrap.

If its just back you want there has to be a black 100 series around you could look at. Check the local classifieds to see if someone has one in black forsale. Go look at it.

i'm not repainting the entire truck, i am doing a portion of the lower vehicle. From the middle trim down. Here is an example of what I have in mind, but I can't really tell if I like it... the silver and black bumper and rims look great, but im not sure if I'm doing to much black. I don't want it too look confused.

(I do wheel it, but dang it looks shiny and clean in that pic!)
DSC01863.jpg

Go to a sign company and see if you can buy a strip of the stick on vinyl.

Based on the bumper pick I would do it. Looks Bad@ss and would set your 100 series apart from the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom