How to remove non freewheel front drive hubs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to remove the full-time non free wheel hubs from the front of my bj73 and install manual free wheel hubs. I just learned about the cone washers and I will go get a brass drift for them. how do I remove the dust cover on the center of the hub in order to get at the lock washer that holds it on or is there a lock washer that holds on the full time hub? On most hub dust covers you just put a screwdriver on the groove and try them off with the traps tapping with a hammer. This thing does not want to budge is there some trick to it?

I've seen the videos on how to remove the freewheel selectable hubs. I haven't seen anything on the drive hub like I have a picture is at below

IMG_20200205_163655.jpg

put a small flat punch between the cap and the flange and tap it in, thus pushing the cap out. It is just friction fit. I use a small punch or screwdriver, then a larger punch.

As for the cone washers I like to use a HF air chisel. only takes seconds.... just don't mess up your threads.

And maybe a media blasting cabinet. :)

Gentlemen-Thankyou all for your information and help. Dustcover came off simply with the screwdriver and hammer. For some reason a chisel was not doing anything. I'm probably going to keep one of the factory straight drive hubs as a trail spare. Might sell the other if someone is interested...........I've looked a little for a shop manual bot not extensively. I had a haynes manual for my old FJ40 back in the days before internet, but I've been searching most everything online in recent years. Just spent about 20 minutes searching for a repair/shop manual with no luck 89' BJ73. I can find 1990 on, but It won't have info on my 3B engine. If someone has a source/link/good Idea on where to buy or obtain a 89'BJ73 shop manual/repair manual and maybe a owners manual too, let me know.
If anyone is wondering why I replaced the factory drive hubs, with freewheel hubs: Excess noise and wear turning everything in the front in when rolling down the road. As it turns out my front driveshaft slip yoke is loose. It's not worn so bad it thumps, but it is off center/out of balance. This will not matter 4 wheeling at low speed on a limited basis, but it is a bit annoying when driving on the highway and it's spinning. Freewheel locking hubs are cheaper than a new driveshaft and there's really no reason not to install them if you don't mind spending the money on them for my situation.

the 60 series manual here will get you most of your answers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom