How to remove interior rear quarter panels (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

chris777

TLCA member #12444
Threads
Website
mannphoto.com
Any tips on how to remove the rear interior quarter panels on my 2018 Land Cruiser? ARB drawers are arriving tomorrow, and i need to prewire the back for my new Dometic fridge. I will be installing a female power port plug in the quarter panel. Dont wont to damage those panels with ignorant brute force!

On my '13: Remove the seat belt anchors (14mm bolts). Remove the 2nd row sill trim - one small (10 mm and large Phillips) bolt with a trim cover over in in the flat step area, the rest is held by clips and pries up. (If you're running wire front to back, you'll also probably also want to remove the front row sill on whichever side you are running it - no fasteners, they just have plastic clips). Remove the hooks in the rearmost side walls (quarter turn), remove the bolt behind them (large Phillips). Pry up and remove he hinged section between the cargo area and tailgate (just plastic clips). Remove the two pushpin fasteners - one on either end that were exposed when you removed that piece (they are in the bottom of the cargo trim). Take out the removable panel (holds a first aid kit on some). I think your 18 has automatic hatch and seat release? If so, I can't help with that part - my '13 had lever handles that needed to come out both sides (trim cover, bolt, undo clips). Then you can start prying the big panels - they are only held on by plastic clips. Just as you start, you will need to unplug electrical connectors - mine had one on the passenger side (temp sensor) and two on the driver side (temp sensor and power plug). The rest of the large panels just pry out by popping it out of the trim clips.

Here are what the clips look like:
3E6CE9EA-3D0C-4ECB-9FF4-9CC8C167790A.jpeg

Trim tools can help a lot with popping the plastic fasteners. I'm not endorsing this brand (I have another brand), but these kinds of tools: Amazon product ASIN B07L6F1D6Z

Last edited:
Just a note: the reassembly can be a little trickier than the disassembly. You’ll want to be super careful all those little clips are aligned with their corresponding holes before you try to pressure the panel back in. Nothing sadder sounding than some of them bouncing down to the floor or elsewhere as you clip the panel back in. Or just getting tweaked sideways bulging the panel out a little:confused:

Good call. I keep a baggie of extra clips, just in case. I need to replenish mine. The upper panels are buggers to line up, and I crushed several on my project last week.

There is a screw about a foot up at the rear hatch hidden by the upper cargo net tie downs. Not the cargo net tie downs in the floor, the plastic clips they hook into at the top. It may be an LX only feature?

It is on the land cruiser too, the hook removes with a quarter turn, and there is a hidden screw.

There are 2 plastic rivets which I was unable to remove without breaking them. Under the tailgate bridge there is a rivet that holds the very end of the 1/4 panel, that one.
I think you can order new rivets, but those 2 seems to be impossible to remove without breaking them.
Mine went back together without them fine.

On my '13: Remove the seat belt anchors (14mm bolts). Remove the 2nd row sill trim - one small (10 mm and large Phillips) bolt with a trim cover over in in the flat step area, the rest is held by clips and pries up. (If you're running wire front to back, you'll also probably also want to remove the front row sill on whichever side you are running it - no fasteners, they just have plastic clips). Remove the hooks in the rearmost side walls (quarter turn), remove the bolt behind them (large Phillips). Pry up and remove he hinged section between the cargo area and tailgate (just plastic clips). Remove the two pushpin fasteners - one on either end that were exposed when you removed that piece (they are in the bottom of the cargo trim). Take out the removable panel (holds a first aid kit on some). I think your 18 has automatic hatch and seat release? If so, I can't help with that part - my '13 had lever handles that needed to come out both sides (trim cover, bolt, undo clips). Then you can start prying the big panels - they are only held on by plastic clips. Just as you start, you will need to unplug electrical connectors - mine had one on the passenger side (temp sensor) and two on the driver side (temp sensor and power plug). The rest of the large panels just pry out by popping it out of the trim clips.

Here are what the clips look like:
View attachment 2351149

Trim tools can help a lot with popping the plastic fasteners. I'm not endorsing this brand (I have another brand), but these kinds of tools: Amazon product ASIN B07L6F1D6Z
Hey Charlie, can you elaborate on how to remove the hinged section between the cargo area and tailgate? I've been prying but am afraid to pry harder. I've got some clips to pop but it is still really held in tight. Afraid to break something.

IMG_6777.jpg

It is only held by plastic trim panel clips.

I have a tool that works great for this job:
Amazon product ASIN B015DC2IE0
You should be able to get it with the tool that you show though.

I just popped it off to take a couple of pics for you:

07DA5CA7-7A6D-4B68-9A93-2868B02B7934.jpeg

D43FAFE8-D050-43C1-8D3B-12E6AB4B59AA.jpeg

7C54DA76-F811-4746-B747-3991584E48CF.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks. Used a carpenters pry bar. I just hate popping off plastic panels when I don’t know or understand how they are clipped in.

1023CB3D-91D5-47AC-AFC2-C53B69ADB7F9.jpeg

Don’t stress - those panels are stupid thick. Construction is stout. Just watch for the electrical connectors on each side after you pry.

Got it all out. Didn’t break anything except one plastic prong thingy by the 3rd seat release lever. Not going to hurt anything. There is a lot of room in the back when you gut it!

747D7F9B-01D6-49D5-B175-8DF2D7000B85.jpeg

Any shots of the panels back sides to highlight fastener locations? Thanks.
After you take out the front bolt, seat belt bolts, and the rear screw behind the net holder, I think there is one push fastener at the back door bottom. The rest are the white or blue typical cups and just pop out . Pull toward center line of vehicle

Any shots of the panels back sides to highlight fastener locations? Thanks.
I’ll take some shots of the panel backsides tomorrow.

After you take out the front bolt, seat belt bolts, and the rear screw behind the net holder, I think there is one push fastener at the back door bottom. The rest are the white or blue typical cups and just pop out . Pull toward center line of vehicle
This is right but I’d also recommend taking the bolts out from behind the little plastic covers in the cup of the 3rd row seat release levers. It’s not absolutely necessary as the panel will pull off and leaves the levers in place but the clips around it are difficult and are much easier to undo after you get the panel loose and can see the clips.

Last edited:
This is right but I’d also recommend taking the bolts out from behind the little plastic covers in the cup of the 3rd row seat release levers. It’s not absolute necessary as the panel will pull off either the levers in please but the clips around it are difficult and are much easier to undo after you get the panel loose and can see the clips.
A lx to tlc difference here. Lx has power 3rd row and is just an unplug. Good catch!

Pics of side panels:

Driver side:
Note the little clips that I'm point to in the photos. Broke one. Install tip: maybe don't do this in the winter...

835E4E15-E8A2-4CD7-BD13-CEB92545D58D.jpeg

297B34B1-C09E-4F1A-A261-D5B2C3BC38B0.jpeg

16F869CC-B6C8-471D-9CBF-2C74AFD62875.jpeg

21B71A5B-A8FF-4C3B-B95D-EB8764F864E1.jpeg

A2F91BCE-5928-4257-9C28-C8ACDD454735.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom