How to go about an installation of rear running lights/license plate lights? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I'd like to wire up some rear running lights, as well as a license plate light (or two) in my truck ('74 FJ40) and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what the best way to do this would be?

Originally I was just planning on making a simple circuit that I could attach to my battery (which is in the rear of my truck) w/ "alligator clips" (or something similar) at night... (something like this:
--fuse--Batt.------
|
--LL--RRL-RRL-LL-- )
but the other night I noticed that, at night, rear running lights/brake lights are basically one and the same (most vehicles seem to have a relatively dim rear running light that becomes brighter when the brake is applied)... I then thought that maybe I could just hook up an additional, high resistance cable to my brake lights (a pair of large, round, red LEDs) and add the rear running light 'feature' to my brake lights by hooking up the other end to the battery (via alligator clips, again) but I figure this would probably just end up burning out the lightbulbs in my brake lights due to too much current running through them when the brakes were applied...

Thanks for any solutions (the simpler the better)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom