HOW TO: Extend Wireless Door Receiver on older models (FZJ105R 1998) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is specifically for 1998 FZJ105R series Landcruiser RHD Australian. Not sure if it applies to any other Landcruisers (?)

If you WDR module is like the below picture then this will work. The trick is to extend the WDR connector cable by 60/70cms relocate it to the very middle of the dash panel, behind the stereo with the antenna taped to the upper central most location.

1590997984329.png

STEP 1: Find the Wireless Door Receiver (WDR) you will need to remove the glove box and upper trim to see it. It is on the left upper side and looks like this:
1590998016463.png

STEP 2: Disconnect the wiring connector , pushing the release button while wriggling it gently out. Then unscrew the unit from the mounting bracket (one bolt) and gently caress it out from behind the wiring. You will need a small ratchet for this as there is little room.

STEP 3: Once it is out, pluck the back plastic out surrounding the white female connector with a small flathead screwdriver, then gently pull the PCB out. Clean it with some isopropyl , tooth brush and lint free rag. This takes time as the residue on the board is quite stained. But it does come off eventually.

1590998061563.png
1590998075557.png
1590998087331.png
1590998109428.png

The clean board should look similar to this:
1590998138787.png
1590998147008.png

STEP 4: Heat the glue surrounding the antenna (with a blow dryer) and gently remove the glue surrounding the old antenna. This will give you access to the solder point for the old antenna
1590998181221.png

STEP 5: Remove the old decrepit antenna by heating the solder while pulling it gently. You should be able to see a hole through which you can place a new antenna cut to the same length as the old antenna.

1590998209673.png

Last edited:
STEP 6: Cut a new antenna wire the same length and diameter as the old, then solder this into the antenna position. You can put some new glue in this spot if you wish, however, I left it like that and it was fine.

1590998256273.png
1590998264711.png

STEP 7: With the old board rejuvenated it is now time to modify the connection cable for the WDR Module. Lucky we can completely remove the connector while modifying this, as to avoid soldering to wire connected to the car already (would need to d/c battery terminals, but still could fry something electrical on board). Remove this piece and cut 10x 65cm 3mm (10amp) wire cable to splice into this connector to extend it into behind the centre dash panel. Take a zoom up picture of wire colours first because there are 2 wires that are exactly the same, as to avoid confusion later.

1590998290808.png

Also, choose how you do this carefully, there is not enough room to feed one of those connectors through the centre side. I soldered one end first, then taped the wire ends together and fed it through the side of the centre dash. I then matched wire colours by pulling ends to figure out colours, then soldered the other end after it was fed through. This takes the most time.

STEP 8: After the extension is made correctly, plug it in and see if you can place the antenna central to the dash. Leave the WDR module cover off , it will not fit in behind the dash panel. Tape something protective around the PCB , I used thick electrical tape. Plug it all in and test the remote, find the perfect position for everything, tape the antenna to the top of the centre dash part with the round protrusion. This is the best part for hiding the antenna and getting maximum signal. Placement of the WDR also matters. I found that if I place the WDR on a diagonal angle I got 5-6 more metres out of the remote. It is quite unusual but works well enough if you get it right. You may need to place the centre dash on a couple of times before you get it right. But once its right you have the configuration and can leave it, as I have.

I have left some videos of me finalising the MOD/Install. Once the WDR is in behind the centre dash, and the wire is able to be placed up into the centre of the dash. Play with the angle/position of the WDR module and location of the antenna. In the below video I originally taped the antenna _along_ the length of the hump in the dash - this is not the best place. The best place for the tip of the antenna is dead centre in the hump! Also I have found that if the WDR is slightly crooked on an angle it seems to work even better, which is how I left it.

This is all there is too it now, place the centre dash panel back on and enjoy !

REMEMBER ,UNPLUG EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU SOLDER!!!! OR YOU WILL BREAK STUFF!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom