How to connect to this weird gas line flare fitting? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
I'd like to connect to this gas line (the bigger top one) for an improvised outdoors burner. This was originally connected to a gas control valve. It's weird in that it needs a male flare but a female thread, which I have not seen as standalone fittings so far. This will be low pressure gas, so in a pinch I could cut off the female flare and just put flex tubing on the stub with a hose clamp like is done for outdoors propane lines sometimes, I guess, but that's not very satisfying. This seems to be SS so regular soldering may not be an option, I imagine. Silver soldering or brazing, maybe, but not proficient at that, unfortunately. Maybe reset the end to a flare after replacing the threaded male nut with a female one? I've got flare formers, but not proficient at that either. Oddly, looks like the thread is likely not a standard flare fitting thread either, this one is 18 TPI. Or cut the end off and make ample use of epoxy / silicone to seal a tube on there? Or use a compression fitting (the OD of the straight stub behind the flare is 1/2" within a couple of thous)? To clarify, this will be used outdoors so not as critical as indoors if I were to improvise something.
Or do you know of a fitting that would work?

added: the more I think about this, the more it seems that a compression fitting would be easiest. Cut off the existing flare, put a compression fitting on the 1/2" OD stub, use a 1/2" female compression to NPT fitting and done. If I do that, wouldn't a plastic ferrule be OK for this given the very low pressures? Heck, I could probably use a pneumatic push-to-connect fitting for that (so lucky it is a true 1/2" OD...) if it's not too scratched up. (But questionable possibly, as you really want to use flares for gas, though I would of course test for leaks regularly.)
IMG_4737.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom