How noisy are the KM3? Thinking about using these for the 99 LC100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you "need" the mud terrain tire? They are a little louder than the KO2 at highway speed. I don't think they're terribly louder, but they are slightly noticeable. They do tend to get louder as they age. I stick with AT tires like the KO2 because the absolute majority of my driving is on terrain that a mud tire would provide no benefit.

Do you "need" the mud terrain tire? They are a little louder than the KO2 at highway speed. I don't think they're terribly louder, but they are slightly noticeable. They do tend to get louder as they age. I stick with AT tires like the KO2 because the absolute majority of my driving is on terrain that a mud tire would provide no benefit.

The age/miles is what I have heard makes them much louder too.

The complete lack of any siping seems like it would make them rather unsafe in the rain at speed on the highway. That is one of the main reasons that I am apprehensive to go this route. I presently have Toyo ATIIs and they are great on the road and light wheeling. I do find that with the weight of everything on my Cruiser they begin to struggle in real wheeling.

The age/miles is what I have heard makes them much louder too.

The complete lack of any siping seems like it would make them rather unsafe in the rain at speed on the highway. That is one of the main reasons that I am apprehensive to go this route. I presently have Toyo ATIIs and they are great on the road and light wheeling. I do find that with the weight of everything on my Cruiser they begin to struggle in real wheeling.

Yeah, the siping thing (or lack thereof) is a little distressing. I've heard some great things about the Yokohama G003 MT. Also heard a few excellent things about the new Cooper MT offering.....price is CRAZY good for a brand name MT tire (under $190 for 295/70/18)....

Yeah, the siping thing (or lack thereof) is a little distressing. I've heard some great things about the Yokohama G003 MT. Also heard a few excellent things about the new Cooper MT offering.....price is CRAZY good for a brand name MT tire (under $190 for 295/70/18)....

How have these not crossed my radar at all until now??? Price was my big issue with the KM3s as a set of 35s was going to run 350 each. That is tough, but ~200 is much easier. Thanks for the heads up.

How have these not crossed my radar at all until now??? Price was my big issue with the KM3s as a set of 35s was going to run 350 each. That is tough, but ~200 is much easier. Thanks for the heads up.

Not sure how they're flying under the radar. Literally came across them in a Facebook forum. There are only 2 YouTube videos: 1 is from 2019 SEMA by Cooper and another by a vendor. But, the reviews on Amazon are quite promising. Very seriously considering these as they are more then $100 less/tire than the other options I had been considering.

To the OP, for probably $900 installed you could try the Coopers. If you don't like M/Ts, at least they cost quite a bit less to find that out.

Last edited:
I have the KM3s on my cruiser. 275/70 18. They are loud! I’ve only put about 1000 miles on them so far. I don’t daily drive it. I have had Goodyear AT tires on it for the last 100k miles (same size) and there is a huge difference in noise. I still like them though. I can tell a difference in traction off road, for sure. Traction control hasn’t kicked in half as much as it did with the AT tires. But they are loud. No doubt about it.

I have the KM3s on my cruiser. 275/70 18. They are loud! I’ve only put about 1000 miles on them so far. I don’t daily drive it. I have had Goodyear AT tires on it for the last 100k miles (same size) and there is a huge difference in noise. I still like them though. I can tell a difference in traction off road, for sure. Traction control hasn’t kicked in half as much as it did with the AT tires. But they are loud. No doubt about it.

How much added weight are you carrying? I ask to use as a reference to my truck regarding the traction off road.

I still have AHC (did the 2" lift w/SPC A-arms, King springs and spring spacers.) I've tried to keep the weight down as much as possible. I have the ASFIR aluminum skid plates, hidden winch under the stock bumper, roof top tent, LandCruiserPhil's rock rails and dissent rear bumper. The bumper and the winch are the heaviest additions. I guess that's probably about three to 400lbs extra?? Plus all the camping gear and spares and whatnot.

I still have AHC (did the 2" lift w/SPC A-arms, King springs and spring spacers.) I've tried to keep the weight down as much as possible. I have the ASFIR aluminum skid plates, hidden winch under the stock bumper, roof top tent, LandCruiserPhil's rock rails and dissent rear bumper. The bumper and the winch are the heaviest additions. I guess that's probably about three to 400lbs extra?? Plus all the camping gear and spares and whatnot.

Your truck is pretty close to mine. You have quite a bit of extra weight. This is good to hear that M/Ts work well for going off road. I like confirmation that the answer I want is the direction I should head! :D

That is way cheap. But this might be a deal killer for some...

"Specially designed for Evolution M/T 2-ply High-Strength Sidewall provides nearly the same sidewall strength as a standard 3-ply sidewall."

vs The Cooper STT Pro has a 3-ply sidewall.

I run the same tires as @gungriffin above and my experience is similar, they're significantly louder than all of my previous BFGs (MTs and ATs). I love the softer compound and the traction is great on all kinds of terrain (street driving to Moab to the slimy caliche mud of Central TX), but they're definitely loud. If it matters, I think my 100 might be a bit heavier than his (front bumper w/winch, sidebars, rear bumper, steel wheels).
Melonontherocks.jpg

33" KM3 275/70R18-- about 13,000 miles on em since July 2019. .02: Noise is there, but not terrible. Can still have conversations with inside voice.
These will obviously shred any trails offroad. Everything I've thrown at it hunting on rutted farm roads has been small potatoes. I've yet to really find the limit for these tires off road. Mild winter hasn't dumped any snow here in MD.

**Performance on wet roads is something to be aware of, but not like you can't take engineered interstate curves at 70mph. Slick roads, tight turns, yes you will need to be more careful than with K02 or all-weather. If you have too much momentum and try to throttle through a turn -- potential to have your tires spinning power sliding.

Ordered the Falken Wildpeak AT3W's. Have an agressive, almost hybrid tire, type tread, with large amounts of siping in the lugs. Around 220-230 per tire depending on size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom