How much play is too much (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
toysandbox.com
How much play is too much - TCase help

While installing the driveshafts on my rebuilt 3sp tcase, I noticed a couple 16ths of play in both the rear drum and in the front output shaft. It isn't much, but need your input on what is too much? My guess is there should be no play.

The drum is gutted if this might be where some play is coming from.

Last edited:
What kind of play? Rotaional, axial or lateral? Anything other than rotation is not good.

Did you check the preload?

Any lateral play (side to side; up and down) means that there isn't enough preload on the bearings. Assuming that it is properly assembled, you need more or thicker shims.

I took apart from the drum side and put more preload on. Reassembled and perfect. It was a combination of two things. Lack of preload and putting the speedo gear then spacer. Since the splines go wide the speedo gear would only go so far leaving about .25" between the gear and bearing. No wonder once it got under a little load whoop it went loose.

Thanks for the advice.

Did you check the preload?

Any lateral play (side to side; up and down) means that there isn't enough preload on the bearings. Assuming that it is properly assembled, you need more or thicker shims.

Reversing the speedo gear and spacer won't effect the preload, but it will make it hard to get the parking brake drum on. All's well that ends well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom