How much is this BJ70 worth? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bhicks

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I have been considering picking up a 70 series diesel version for a few years now and found one local to me. I'm not going to post the ad here because last time I did that with an 80 that I liked a mud member grabbed it before I had a chance to see it. Here's the specs. It's a 1986 BJ70 2 Door LX 3B Diesel. 5 speed. Has just over 105,000 original miles. Looks to be in great shape. Already got a lot of good info from the seller. Anyone know what it's worth? The diesel 70s I have seen all seem to be in the 15K+ range but this one is at 10k. That seems like a great deal but I'm not actually sure what the 70s are going for. I know the crazy numbers folks are asking but I see the ads posted on the high price tag 70's seem to be up on craigslist for months to even years and never sell.

I guess I jumped the gun on this thread. Just found the 70 series classifieds and went through a ton of for sale ads and fond a pile of actual final sell prices on these. Looks like the asking price of the 70 in question is really good. Assuming it all checks out.

the big thing to look for is amount of rust and if how hard to repair?
Rust is my top concern right now. I got a ton of very detailed info on the 70 from the seller until I started asking about rust. suddenly the responses became extremely vague and short. I just need to get my eyes on it so I know what the deal is.

I bought my BJ70 last September, with 79k kilometers, for $10,000. Zero rust. After having it a year, I can tell you, I got a crazy deal. If yours is rust free and already in the states, $10,000 is a good price. Mine is currently undergoing a turbo, intercooler, locking diff, and exhaust upgrade. I'd recommend turbo at minimum to you.

All the body parts and panels are available to replace. If the 3B is good, then its a good deal.
Try to get a compression test, but with low miles it should be good.
But I wouldn't get too excited until you've seen it and opened it up yourself.
Look inside the the plastic kick panels on the front, and down below the A pillar. They catch slush and salt
there if it's a rust belt truck it will show. Look at the bottom of the B pillar for brown stains, the bottom of the
rockers are sealed and never protected and water and stuff accumulates there.
Post pics if you buy it, and more if you don't.

Hello,

Check for rust bubbles around the windshield. Check the roof gutter as well.

Make sure there is no bondo on the body using a magnet.

Have a look at the rear brakes for leaks. Cylinders this age tend to fail. Since the Cruiser has a redundant brake circuit, the only way to notice is looking for brake fluid leaks.

Hope this helps.

Juan

If you looked at the classifieds here and compared a 70 price with a 73 or 74 you should realise that the 70 hardtop with 3B is about 30% less valuable then a 3B powered BJ73 in similar condition.If any of the other trucks had 13BT or 1HZ engines the price difference is even bigger. BJ70 soft top versions are different snd more valuable because only a few where made in lhd.

Just my 2 cents

Wow. Thanks for all the great info. This will definitely help,

I do agree with joekatana however diesel land cruisers that were for the Canadian market such as the BJ42, BJ60, HJ60, and BJ70 tend to command strong dollar especially when in good shape.

If the body is sound then so is the deal

I am going to side with Joe here.
Canadian BJ70s are well used and no AC and often rotten metal and poor maintenance.
I cant fathom why anyone would want a non turbo BJ60 or HJ60, but there are those folks.

The 73/74 series even RHD is a much better size and wheelbase and often has AC.

The 1HZ powered trucks should command more money still as the popular engine is still in production.

If you want a B powered truck you should drive it onto a LA freeway onramp and see if you can tolerate it before buying. The right lanes will be your only friend.

Before you get your hopes up on the 1HZ my CDN BJ70 was quicker than my NA HZJ77. Now that it's turboed its the fastest cruiser I've owned. More responsive than my previous HJ61 even. But turbo is an investment.

Unless you're going with an HJ61, HDJ81 or HDJ100 the right lane is going to be your friend in any diesel cruiser

What are your intentions with the cruiser? A BJ70 is perfectly suited for some tasks and shouldn't even be considered in the line up for others.

Another thing about CDN market cruisers is they are much roomier as seat positions are different and better suited for colder conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom