How much grease..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wayne

Bought by His blood, kept by His power
Threads
I plan on doing the Birfield repack in a few months :-\ and have learned on this forum what the recommended greases are :D, but don't recall how much of each to buy. I plan to use Amsoil greases, and the moly-b (purple-black) only comes in grease gun cartridges containers...... the GP (red) grease does come in a tub. How much of each does it usually take to do the Birfield job ??? Thanks in advance.

thebadfairy :beer:

I had 3 tubs of the purple moly on hand for the birfields, and used almost all. And I figured one grease gun tube per axle for the wheel bearings. Got kinda tight on the wheel bearings, so you might have a third on hand.

I use a grease gun cartridge per side, of PRO-MA moly grease, and this fills the housing completly each side.

Even though the write-ups say 4 pounds, it can't hurt to have extra--you can always use it for other stuff. But if you run out mid-task, you end up on a grease run for naught. Problem is that when you apply the stuff, you're not weighing or measuring it out, so you don't really know if you're administering the correct dose to each side.

If you plan to go with different greases on different applications, then I'd suggest an extra pound/tube of each type. I like to keep it simple, so I used full synth throughout.

Get the equivilant of 5lbs. When you are finishing at 9:00 on a Sunday evening, the last thing you want to do is try and find grease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom