1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many snap ring/c-clip

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by medtro, Dec 24, 2003.

1. medtro

medtro

I had the front axle separated from the birfield, I saw only 1 c-clip on each inners. My FSM show 2 clips per axle (page SA-12). Can somebody please tell me if I should have 1 or 2 clips per axle shaft? Thanks.

2. Beowulf

Beowulf

Medtro,
    There is one c-clip that connects the inner axle to the birfield. There is a circlip on the outside of the stub axle that positions the stub axle in the spindle. Can you post a pic of SA-12 so we can see what image you are referring to? (Don't have the FSM here at the sister-in-laws)
    -B-

3. clownmidget

clownmidget SILVER Star

As Beo said, there is the one that retains the inner to outer shaft and the second one that is further inboard on the inner shaft. Continue reading on the diagram on SA-16 for this.

4. medtro

medtro

Beowulf,

I have circled the 2 snap rings in the picture. I just found 1 of the picture that shows part 43411c with 1 clip only. I do have 2 slots for the clips on the axle though, just 1 clip installed. Thanks.

medtro

5. medtro

medtro

Here is a picture from Beo with 1 clip only.

6. medtro

medtro

[quote author=clownmidget link=board=2;threadid=9191;start=msg80017#msg80017 date=1072289125]
    As Beo said, there is the one that retains the inner to outer shaft and the second one that is further inboard on the inner shaft. Continue reading on the diagram on SA-16 for this.
    [/quote]

I have the the one that retains the inner to outer shaft. I don't have the 2nd one that is further inboard on the inner shaft. Same on both sides. The picture on SA-16 shows the 2nd clip is within the spline region. If I had the 2nd clip it would be at the end of the spline, that is where the slot located. Also, my axle diameter (at the end of the spline) is bigger than the spline diameter, may be that is why I don't have the 2nd clip.

7. medtro

medtro

Anybody has this super axle shaft like mine :)