How many of you dropped the diff? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trying to figure out if I should install the diff drop when I throw in my OME springs. I will wheel sans sway bar but commute with it on. What say you guys?

I'm not a fan of them personally. You put a lift on so you can run taller tires and get more clearance under the diff, then you lower the diff and reduce your clearance. Working at cross purposes. A common 3" lift does not make extreme angles on the CV joints.

I put the toytec 2.5" coilover kit on bilstein 5100's and it came with a diff drop. Installed it and then took it off because I couldn't get the skid plate back on. The shaft angles aren't extreme enough to bother with it.

I used it on the toytec 3 inch lift. Was still able to use factory skid with a little encouragement. Probably not worth messing with on a 3 inch kit

How does the CV angle look to you guys... this is with fresh OME lift pre-settle and NO diff drop installed.

85F250A3-FB7D-47E0-A111-9FD0E68E0906.jpeg

Angle looks really good . I heard one tech say that diff drop starves certain bearings from oil. I had it briefly , but took it off after I installed TC long travel . No worries now .

I have been running with a diff drop since 2012. My reason was better CV angles. I am now ready to remove the 1 inch spacers and go back to stock even with a 3 inch +/- lift because I cannot get aftermarket skids to fit with a drop. I bought my skids and I am not willing to take them into work to re-fab them to fit. Drop goes. Angles of joints are not such a problem. Only issue may become the inner cv boots rubbing and causing tears and grease loss. I suppose I could shoot some silicone spray around there to stop the tearing but it has not come to that yet, just something to be aware of.

Lift hieght isnt the issue with cv angles, droop is. If your struts are longer then 575mm at open length a diff drop is required, buy a bash plate built to fit around a diff drop not one spaced down and you lose minimal clearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom