How is my fj60 supposed to start? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm sure this has been covered and I searched but I probably overlooked a thread.

I've had my 85fj for a month and a few days. Only actually spent about 2 weeks with it. I've been away for a month and I get back to it on thursday.

Since I'm not used to carburated engines I want to know for sure if my fj is starting correctly. I'm sure it could use some work though.

The only starts I've had it with, the weather has been moderately cold for the area, around 30F.

1) If engine is cold I get in and pull the choke all the way out.
2) I pump the gas pedal(this gets fuel into the carb right?) and I turn the key. It starts and I put the choke back in almost all the way. It's to the point where I can usually just pump the pedal a few times, maybe 5 or 6 and I turn the key and it turns over, albeit not 100% smooth.
3) I let it run for a minute and take off.

On warm starts I have to pump gas pedal a bit while turning key and it starts that way, sometimes pulling the choke out very slightly.

So does this sound about right to everyone who owns or has owned a carb'd 60?

Thank ya!

Sounds about right. Mine is one pump, pull choke out all the way, turn key, engine starts then push choke in as engine warms, my truck is choke all the way in after about 2-3 minutes, unless below 0f then maybe 7 10 minutes on the coldest day before all the way in.

John

You should leave the choke pulled out until the engine warms up, or at least until the fast idle speed drives you crazy. Like John, I push the choke slowly as I'm driving, but where I live 30F is "really cold" and not too common. The carburetor will allow the choke plate to open up as the engine warms up, so you don't have to worry about the mixture being too rich. With the engine hot, all pulling the choke does is increase the idle speed.

right on guys, thanks! Appreciate the help

Mine will not run smoothly w/ the choke all out, dont believe it is supposed to. I choke, pump 2x, fire and within 5 seconds, set choke to <50%. If it is cold out, i will run with it at 50% for a couple min.
Good luck!

I was told *not* to pump the gas. I pull the choke and it starts in any temperature in 2-4 turns. Pumping the pedal was flooding mine and it was not start at all.

It is almost impossible to flood these engines.... 99% impossible.

Carb'd Cruiser:

You should not need choke except in the winter.

And you should be able to open the choke completely within 30 sec or se except in the coldest subzero conditions.

Pump the pedl 3-5 times BEFORE you turn the key.

As you turn the key slowly and smoothly press the pedal down. If the rig is tuned right it will fire right off. Pumping while you crank is a bit contra-productive and not as efficient as pumping first.

If the engine stumbles and tries to start, but does not. repeat the whole procedure, including pumping the pedal first.

Mark...

...Pump the pedal 3-5 times BEFORE you turn the key...

If the engine stumbles and tries to start, but does not. repeat the whole procedure, including pumping the pedal first.

I do variations of this, with some choke, depending on how cold it's been and how long since I last started it. Curse words are optional. ;)

Do love hearing the choke purr down as it warms up. If I time it right, I'm done getting snow/ice/frost off windows. :D

I pull the choke, pump the pedal 2 or 3 times, turn the key, kick down the choke one notch, get out, go top off my coffee, grab my thermos and lunch box and by that time it's usually idling a little too high so I push it all the way in.....then I'm off to work.

Pull out choke ,pump 3 times and cruiser starts. Mike

Key in , turn key Varooooom

Now who's dreaming..

VT

It is almost impossible to flood these engines.... 99% impossible.

Carb'd Cruiser:

You should not need choke except in the winter.

And you should be able to open the choke completely within 30 sec or se except in the coldest subzero conditions.

Pump the pedl 3-5 times BEFORE you turn the key.

As you turn the key slowly and smoothly press the pedal down. If the rig is tuned right it will fire right off. Pumping while you crank is a bit contra-productive and not as efficient as pumping first.

Mark...

Great info Mark! Thanks.

Fantastic helpful info to everyone that responed, thanks! :)

pull the choke, pump the accelerator 3 times, turn the key, pump the acclerator 5-6 more times, turn the key, pump the accelerator 20-100 times more, turn the key, cuss like a sailor, pop the hood, cuss like a sailor, get the starter fluid out from under the seat, cuss like a sailor while removing the wing nut, drown the #$*% %&^( @#!*& SOB in starter fluid, get back in and turn the key, try and push the accelerator through the floor board and make her scream at 4K+ RPM's. pretty much my routine.

pull the choke, pump the accelerator 3 times, turn the key, pump the acclerator 5-6 more times, turn the key, pump the accelerator 20-100 times more, turn the key, cuss like a sailor, pop the hood, cuss like a sailor, get the starter fluid out from under the seat, cuss like a sailor while removing the wing nut, drown the #$*% %&^( @#!*& SOB in starter fluid, get back in and turn the key, try and push the accelerator through the floor board and make her scream at 4K+ RPM's. pretty much my routine.

:lol:

A few times doing that and it would be a lOT less effort to just fix your s***. ;)

And a lot less frustrating I bet.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom