How is ham used for off road comms when its for "reasearch"? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know, what a silly question, its for talking to each other, obviously; but bear with me I really do have a question.
I'm green as grass in radio, don't have my FCC license yet (test is next Sat.) and I've been reading, studying and absorbing as much as I can in the last week. One of the docs I found was Ham Radio Ethics and Operating Procedures Ham Radio Ethics and Operating Procedures, and it states, I'm paraphrasing here, that ham is for brief contacts limited to basically power and clarity of signal reports, the weather and passing of names. So if that's the case, how are 2m radios used for off-road comms, seems like that would tie up frequency bands like crazy.

Like I said, I'm green as grass, I'd rather ask these kinds of silly questions here on a 4x4 forum than on a true ham forum, its more comfortable here.

I believe the IARU wants to regulate something that pretty much self regulates. If you spend any time listening to your local repeaters, you'll find technical discussions, and lots of chatter of every description.

When you say "tie up frequency bands like crazy" I don't think you realize how many frequencies are available.

There is a National Simplex Frequency of 146.52 MHz (2 Meters) and it suggested that contact be made and then another frequency be selected to meet on. I listen to this frequency most of the time when traveling. If you have a group meeting on a different frequency for coordinating operations is fine. Here locally in El Paso, 146.46 and 147.50 are popular. Holding a repeater in use for a line of sight contact is considered poor operating practice. I'm sure in your area there might be a different frequency in use.

Good luck on your test.

Larry in El Paso

thank you, the "group meeting on ... frequency" makes sense. Do you still maintain "tight" comms command, call signs at the end of every transmission and such, or does it get "loose" during trial rides within the group. All of the mobile transceivers I've been looking at have variable power, so I assume everybody turns the power down as low as possible?

I've been looking at the local repeater map, I was amazed at how many there are in SC and specifically around Columbia. Its pretty flat around here, would have thought a 2m would shoot dang near to the horizon, but there is a lot of vegetation too.

I've contacted the local ham club and will be meeting them before the test at thier monthly mtg. I have a bunch of NFG questions for them. Mostly about repeaters and and D-Star and half a dozen other topics.

Last edited:
We have a local ham that puts his call in every transmission, that is a bit much. I try to ID at the beginning of the conversation and at the end. If there is a long conversation, every 10 minutes.

If you have a scanner, you will find most of those repeaters are seldom used. We have a group of repeaters that are linked so the whole city is covered. Stand alone repeaters don't get used much unless it is a group with a special purpose. I have D-Star capabilities but the people on D-Star don't frequent the analog repeaters and simplex much. I expect there will be a few there able to answer your questions. You might want to take a note pad with questions you want answers to.

Larry in El Paso

A pad? I already have a note book started! :) I'm an Engineer, when I research something, I tend to go whole hog.
I've been driving my wife nuts with this "ham thing", apparently I'm reviewing the flash cards in my sleep. LOL

Rusty,
HAM is not for research, but part of what the FCC wants is for radio operators to do research and "advance the science". Probably you will see many of the older generation operators always testing different antenna designs, "playing" with atmospherics, trying different things.... What they do not want you to do is get on a frequency and hog it like you would if you had a commercial radio station and transmit all the time. The point is to take a frequency, do your communication, and get off in case someone else needs it.
But it is also for you to enjoy and try to reach out, so no need to be shy. There are band plans to make sure people don't interfere with others, and in the end the FCC rules boil down to "don't be a deek".

By the way, being down in Columbia, have you connected with any of the LC clubs yet? We have a large gathering coming up in NC (Uwharrie Mountains) every year, big southeast draw. This is the link Events/Trails - Logans Run 2019 - September 19-22nd OFFICIAL THREAD. for the event if you can make it. We use HAM for trail rides and everything else, CB or FRS as backup with a 146.46 as the club frequency. There are repeaters nearby as well, including a DSTAR. As mentioned before, repeaters are hardly used.

LOL, I was wondering when the connection would "click" . CB is coming in this week. Going through the MGB's mechanical's this weekend. The wife and I looking very forward to coming to NC for Logan's Run.

Getting old sucks, once you go pass 50. CB is good for highway, I have a Yaesu FT2D that can receive from 0-999 MHz, and driving to AZ from here it was helpful to hear the truckers and traffic delays. Otherwise, good paperweight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom