how important are lockers? (newbie) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got a 96 TLC. Didn't know the difference between them until I went to this site. I don't plan to crawl, but do plan to explore as far as it will take me. I just got it a week ago, and haven't put any money into it (yet).

Question is, with all the talk about lockers (mine doesn't have 'em), do I need them (not making a rock crawler, but an expedition/long range adventurer), and if I do, would I be better off selling it and finding one with lockers, or is it not that big of a deal to retro-fit the locking axles, ecu, and harness, or better to get aftermarket air lockers?

Help appreciated.

Use the search function, the locker questions has been discussed a BILLION times.

mason said:
Just got a 96 TLC. Didn't know the difference between them until I went to this site. I don't plan to crawl, but do plan to explore as far as it will take me. I just got it a week ago, and haven't put any money into it (yet).

Question is, with all the talk about lockers (mine doesn't have 'em), do I need them (not making a rock crawler, but an expedition/long range adventurer), and if I do, would I be better off selling it and finding one with lockers, or is it not that big of a deal to retro-fit the locking axles, ecu, and harness, or better to get aftermarket air lockers?

Help appreciated.

Certain times you'll need it, if you don't have them a lot of times it's just pushing the gas to get up certain places, get a running start. But I plan to throw in a rear locker when I get a lift and all that crap. Oh and welcome :flipoff2:

If you just bought a non locked vehicle that is available WITH lockers, I think it's safe to say they were not worth it to you. What can be added to this? Kinda like wondering after you did the nasty with some girl whether you should have worn a condom or not? Uh, little late to wonder. But I digress.

Adding lockers to an 80 you've just bought for use in situations that don't require lockers does not make sense to me.

DougM

Ignorance is bliss. If your rig is what you wanted, who cares. Just mod it the way you planned for it. Mine is still stock and still working on saving for tire replacements. When I got interested in buying an LC, did research through the Internet. Fortunately, I found MUD before I made my purchase. No rocks for now but my lockers will be there if I need it. :D Almost forgot, :flipoff2: .

Learn how to wheel w/o them. It will make you a better driver.

Then some day down the road after you are able to keep up with all the locked up guys that have never had open diffs you'll decide to get some and you'll absolutely spank yer friends because you know how to pick a line.

Experience can get youa a lot more places then lockers can. They isn't cheap neither.

I looked for about a month to find one with lockers, I won't use em I'm sure and don't really need em but it doesn't cost anymore so I wanted them. That said, somebody I heard on the board said it best and I'm not 100% with this but close.

"With lockers you'lll get you stuck 20 feet further down the trail then you would have without them"

A lift and new tires will do you a world of good and take you to 90% of the places you wanna go, the lockers will take you to the 5% most likely to mess up your rig and cause body damage.

Tooth Fairy said:
They isn't cheap neither.

Didn't we just have this discussion last week! :)

They aren't cheap, but they are free if you get factory lockers on a used vehicle. Just takes longer to find the one you want to buy.

I don't wheel my cruiser, but have a very steep driveway with a switchback in it.

I bought the lockers when I got mine new, and always thought of it this way, after reading the explanations.

With everything locked, the truck will move if

1. Any single tire has enough traction to move the vehicle

or

2. Any combination of tires together have enough traction to move the vehicle.

Locking the diff's will get the power to the wheels/tires regardless of whether some of them have no traction. But some tires must have enough purchase on the terrain to move the truck. You need at least one with traction, or more than one with enough total traction to move you.

So if you are truely on glare ice or some other low friction surface, even lockers won't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom