How does 70 Series performance compare to other Land Cruisers? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

desmocruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
More specifically, I am considering a 70 Series MWB and have not had an opportunity to drive one and am interested in opinions on how a 1HZ 5 speed Power and acceleration compares to other LC’s I have driven/own/owned?

FJ 62 both with auto and an H55 5 speed added,

FJ60 with an H55,

FJ40 with H41 4 speed

Super Charged and normally aspirated 80 Series.

Last edited:
About the same as all above except the 80-series. An 80 is coil spring all around and a completely different class of truck. A Prado is also coil spring so ride is similar but it has a different suspension in the rear that limits wheel travel compared to an 80. In addition Prado don’t have any engines nearly as good as the 1FZ l, 1HZ, 1HD and 1HDFT that were put in 80-series.

Your best comparison to a 70 is the 40/60-series.

Cheers

A MWB 73/74 is a great mix between an FJ40/FJ60.

I can only directly relate to the comfort/ride of the 73/74 vs 40/55/60/80.
The ride is more like an FJ60 in terms of noise level and ride comfort, but the ability to pull the top is sweet just like a 40.

Performance :rofl:

My FJ62 was almost the slowest cruiser I owned. The slowest award goes to my HJ45. That was slow.
The 1HZ should perform better than an FJ40/FJ60 and imo FJ62. Again, I have a 13BT in my 74, so I can't directly compare. however I wouldn't say you are going to smoke any of these. If you turbo and mildly boost that 1HZ, you will have much better performance than any of the F variants.

“Power, acceleration and 1HZ are words that are seldom used in the same sentence. Diesel powered Land Cruisers are “life style” vehicles as in “go slow and enjoy life”. :)

My naturally aspirated 1HZ 80 didn’t accelerate quickly but would easily cruise at 70-75mph on the highway. I would say that it felt much like a 3FE in a 62, except it felt like it was working less hard at all times. A carefully turboed 1HZ will be a world of difference.

Thanks, these are my expectations, I just want to make certain that I can occasionally daily drive without much issue!

Thanks, these are my expectations, I just want to make certain that I can occasionally daily drive without much issue!
I’ve never relied on any of my Land Cruisers as a daily driver. For the first time, that will change later this Fall. 😊

I’ve never relied on any of my Land Cruisers as a daily driver. For the first time, that will change later this Fall. 😊

I like to interchange my 60 and 80, occasionally the 40 as my driver each day they aren’t going to sit at the airport or I need to be somewhere faster or farther than 50 miles or need to haul/tow something large.

I am hopeful the right 70 can fill a spot in that rotation, I have had this 10 year fascination with them, but never driven one, so I am trying to fill in the gaps!

I really appreciate the responses!

I like to interchange my 60 and 80, occasionally the 40 as my driver each day they aren’t going to sit at the airport or I need to be somewhere faster or farther than 50 miles or need to haul/tow something large.

I am hopeful the right 70 can fill a spot in that rotation, I have had this 10 year fascination with them, but never driven one, so I am trying to fill in the gaps!

I flew out of the Tallahassee, FL airport on a weekly basis and was always reluctant to park any of my Cruisers in employee parking. I never liked leaving them out in the weather for extended periods. Now that I’m retired I really don’t need my Tacoma and will rely solely on the 79 Series.

I flew out of the Tallahassee, FL airport on a weekly basis and was always reluctant to park any of my Cruisers in employee parking. I never liked leaving them out in the weather for extended periods. Now that I’m retired I really don’t need my Tacoma and will rely solely on the 79 Series.

Congratulation!!

I have often let my friends and family know that when I am driving a vintage LC every day, it means I have gotten to the point in life that it Means little what time I arrive or what might happen on the way, just enjoying the ride!

Congratulation!!

I have often let my friends and family know that when I am driving a vintage LC every day, it means I have gotten to the point in life that it Means little what time I arrive or what might happen on the way, just enjoying the ride!
I started off driving a 1967 Land Rover Series 2A so my standards for power and acceleration are VERY LOW. :lol:

Last edited:
But I felt really cool. :)
6D2D4D8B-FD9A-45A8-B1F9-DF526F5D9A00.jpeg

I daily drive a BJ74, and really enjoy it. I will say I haven't driven it a lot in a "bigger city" but that is about to change a little bit. For the first year of ownership, it's literally been farmland and no one around. For me, they feel very much like a 60 series in terms of ride feel/quality. Obviously suspension can change all that.
With the 13BT, (4 cylinder turbo) I'm fine with most "normal" people at stoplights and such. I'm not getting honked or yelled at because I'm not flooring it off the line. Most people are too busy checking your Cruiser to worry about cussing at you. I hate the interstates so I just don't even suffer that unless I absolutely have too. The backroads and 65mph are WAY more to my liking.

The biggest issues with daily driving a 70 series isnt taking longer because people think diesels are slow, it's the conversations at stores and gas stations and getting waved over to ask all sorts of questions. If you get a Right hand drive, just get a sticker for the back window that says "no, I don't deliver mail" that will save some questions.

The 40 series is my favorite Land Cruiser, however this BJ74 isn't very far behind it at all, and performance/ride/sound wise and features (turbo diesel, 5 speed, full float, A/C, working heater, sound level) bests the 40 series.

Good luck in the search!

IMG_5023.jpg

A 1HZ left normally aspirated actually can benefit quite a bit from a nice set of headers and high-flow exhaust. Probably some high-flow work at the intake would help too. With an H55, they can move a MWB along just fine. A fellow in our local club has these mods on his HZJ73 and is sounds amazing and goes good; even on 35s. That said, we live near to sea level....

Having driven a BJ70, HZJ75, Supercharged 80 and the HDJ81 across the country I must confess that I've loved them all for their unique quirks and qualities.
For long range and simplicity when off the beaten path and absolute lack of cell coverage you can't beat a one wire diesel.

You will be ok with the 1HZ, its the suspension, handling and 5sp around the suburbs that can get tiring. Its good to have a car as well. You need to think a bit more about steering and braking driving a 7* series .

I've owned 2 FJ40s, a Cummins swapped FJ60, driven many 2F powered FJ60s and 3FE powered 62s, owned an FZJ80, owned and daily drove a HZJ73 and now I own and daily drive a sweet BJ74.

Some have mentioned it above, but the 70 series is really the spiritual successor of the 40 series, which is my first love. I have zero issues recommending one as a daily driver, just have it well sorted and don't expect to set any land speed records. I would say build quality is a notch higher than what we saw with the 60 series, and you can get a nice one with AC and power windows with enough comfort factor to be used daily, but it'll still remind you that you're driving a truck. Some complain about the suspension, but your average OME medium suspension kit will solve those issues. I'm currently on 33s and have zero issues stopping (my HZJ73 was on 32s and felt very similar), it behaves much like a 60 series. I also require a manual transmission, personal preference, I don't mind a stick in traffic, especially in a low geared 4x4 that will lug around during rush hour. I will say an automatic absolutely kills the fun factor, I've driven an automatic HZJ73 and it just isn't quite the same drivability wise. I think a 1HZ is one of the best truck engines ever put in a vehicle. A 5 speed HZJ73 isn't fast, but it's fast enough, it's smooth and returns good fuel economy. My 13BT powered rig is fun and rowdy, and I have factory cable lockers and a manual as consolation prizes, but I really do miss the 1HZ.

One of the reasons I went down the diesel road is that I got tired of horrendous fuel economy. I currently get fuel economy in the low to mid 20s, and I got low 20s with my HZJ73 consistently. That extra 7-10mpg makes a HUGE difference, both on the wallet (even with high fuel prices here in sunny CA) and it really makes planning long distance trips much easier without having to make all of those fuel stops. You'll finish trail rides with 3/4 of a tank, not having to watch the fuel gauge and wondering if your buddy has enough fuel in his jerry can to spare a gallon or two if you find yourself running on fumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom