How do you remove the foot locking pin? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry, no pictures.

How do you remove the foot locking pin on the M416 trailer? This is the pin that locks the foot straight down when the trailer is stand alone or vertical when it is being towed. On one side of the pin I found a square metal plug that screwed out but I have been unable to remove the pin from the other side. Does it screw out or does it have to be rotated a certain number of degrees and then pulled out the remainder of the way? I would like to clean this mechanism up as it is stiff and often binds.

I have been unable to find an enlarged diagram of these parts and I'm sure a picture would be worth 1000 words.

My M100 service manual shows it as one straight piece. That is, the handle and the larger rod that locks the landing leg up or down. The unit is installed as one piece and is straight and after it has been inserted it is bent to act as a handle. There is a threaded set screw to hold the unit in place before the handle is bent and this is most likely what you are seeing at the opposite end from the bent handle. I just referbed my casting and the only way to remove the handle and piston is to bend it back straight or cut it off and slide it out the big end. If you bend it I would suggest lots of heat before the bend because the metal is sort of soft and I'm sure it would crack. I cut mine off and welded it back on after everything was cleaned off. And good luck getting the set screw out. That little basitd is surely rusted in there for eternity. I soaked mine for a week and no budge. Hope this helps

Yes, that does help. I didn't think about bending or cutting it but that should work.

However the handle portion and the locking pin portion seem to be slightly different diameters on my M416. Is this the case on your M100? I am going to go look/measure again. I think the M416 might be a two piece part.

I still would like a diagram if anyone has one. Otherwise I will reattack with locking pliers, heating torch and hammer.

The pin for the handle is 3/8 maybe and the locking pin that goes into the landing leg is closer to 3/4. They are welded together and the weld in inside the casting.

I'm not sure if the 416 is the same as the 100, I just thought I would throw that post at you incase you received no other replies. I will scan my manual tonight if you want and post that for comparison to your 416.

O.k. Check this out. Didn't think to look on Mud for this answer. Both pins look the same for our trailers. You do have one extra part to hold the pin assy in though and I think that is going to be the hardest to remove. After you get that out the rest will come out very easily.

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/pdf/trailer/m416.pdf

Diagram 13-1

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I wish my search skills were as good as my bo-staff skills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom