How do you like your FJ Cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ive had mine for a little over 5 years. Im sure you know all the pros so i wont rehash those. here is my 5 years worth of minor complaints.

Cons:
Mirrors. big and silly. Wife is too short to see over them
viewing out of rear seats. sort of cave like back there.
tire selection limited without light but what should be unnecessary modification.
rack is nearly useless, nearly
should have come with a tranny cooler
needs more torque when using 295's+ ( i get flamed for this for some reason)

Would i do it again? Hells yes i would. best truck ive ever owned. We play hard with it and have always enjoyed the trail. We have zero thoughts of ever selling.

I've had mine since new and agree with what the others have said ... its my dd and I never get tired of driving it ... the only thing I really don't like about it is the blindspots, but as others have noted you can mitigate some of that ...

I've driven a good amount of miles in an 08 FJC my dad has during family travel. Compared to my prior 80 and my current 100, I cannot stand driving one for more than an hour. I dislike the seating position and a-pillar/dash design. I'm 6'2" and feel like I'm on the ground driving it and don't get me started on the blind spots. I drive a ton of miles for work, oftentimes 4 hour legs, so I couldn't imagine doing it in an FJC for this reason. Backseat is a death wish for any adult back there in a T bone as your head is 2" against body. Car sounds like a Yaris given the lack of sound deadening plus unrefined motor. If I won a new one, I'd trade it in for a 80 with 250k miles and be happier. Not trying to be harsh, but i know people trading a FJC for an older LC and wish they made that decision initially.

unrefined motor

Funny, that Toyota would cram that sketchy 1GR-FE into so many vehicles... o_O

Applications (with VVT-i) in model years:
Applications (with Dual VVT-i) in model years:

... plus unrefined motor...

Never heard anyone use that terminology for the 1GR-FE before. Sure seems like a strong and well-tested engine from everything I've heard.

"Not trying to be harsh, but i know people trading a FJC for an older LC and wish they made that decision initially."

Well, I have an older Land Cruiser and I am certainly glad that I did not trade it for the FJC. Equally, I would never, ever trade the FJC for an older Land Cruiser. They are very different animals…and I respect them both!

The cons are the blind spots, hard to see over the hood for my wife when wheeling and the fact that Toyota doesn't know how to coat a frame. Pro's are Overall it's a great vehicle, good power, very capable, good looking and very dependable. I wish this wasn't the last year for them. Go for it!!

I have an '09 with 160,000 miles. Aside from regular maintenance and one tranny warranty at approx 60,000 miles (if I remember correctly), the FJ runs well. I drive in SoCal traffic, taken road trips as far north as Whistler and I have no complaints. It handles much like a lower vehicle on the street. Capable off road.

I'm 5' 4" and the seat height adjustment serves me well. I adjust the mirrors o eliminate the blind spots. Compared to the troopy, it has no blind spots. The back up camera screen for the '09 is on the rear view mirror, which makes perfect sense for me. The ergonomics are well thought out (controls, cup holders, door pockets).

It is a bit small if you plan to take 4 people on a long road trip or camping. As for me, it's usually my man and me or a buddy and the dogs in the back behind the springtail barrier.

Buy according to your needs.

on my second one

150k on first
now with a new one

cons-vision

pros--size/room/utility/capability

what I want in a vehicle

I am a new owner, but have developed some thoughts:

FJCs are for people who like operating vehicles. Simple, manual controls. Well-engineered mechanicals. Robust materials.

People who view their vehicle as more of an appliance tend to prefer automatic controls for headlights (resulting in idiots driving around in the rain or fog without their headlights on if the ambient light is bright enough), climate control, and the like. Those people will not like the FJC.

More specifically, I like the ride (mine has the Bilstein shocks). The interior is a bit cave-like, but much more roomy for the driver than a 4Runner or even a Land Cruiser (100 series anyway, I haven't tried others). I had mine up on a hoist before purchase and was impressed with the construction. The back seat looks like a bit of a pain to get in and out of (why doesn't the passenger seat jump forward?). Underfloor storage in the cargo area would be nice (there is certainly room there underneath). Fuel economy is good for a tall, blunt, body on frame 4WD vehicle.

The vision is a con - but you can learn to overcome it.

It's made me a safer driver.

Get one with a backup camera. ;)

Edit - It sure as heck doesn't have the visibility of an FJ40 with windows EVERYWHERE!

Mine does have a backup camera, but I'm still learning to trust it.

I owned an '06 TRD edition and here are my two bits on the FJ:

+
Very capable in stock form, especially thanks to the factory rear locker
Very comfortable and overall pleasant driving experience
I personally enjoyed the driving position, triple wiper, and overall feel of the truck both on and off road
Very well-made vehicle inside and out
Good stock sound system
Rear 110V power outlet (optional)
Plenty of power, towed my '83 Mercedes 300D on a car trailer no problem
Practical materials used in the interior

-
Rear clamshell doors are kinda cool at first until you actually have to take passengers, then you realize just how silly and impractical they are.
Fuel mileage nothing to write home about, especially in town. I got about 14 in the city and 19 on the highway (5 speed auto with part time 4WD)
The 6 speed manual is only available in full time 4WD, which is why I got an automatic
Small fuel tank and so so MPG means your range is only like 250 to 300 miles, which is not great
For the size of the FJ there really isn't a whole lot of cargo room. My FJ60 was about the same size (I think) but I swear could fit twice as much stuff
Poor visibility

Now if they'd just make the FJ a bit longer and given it four normal doors, a diesel option, solid front axle, and part time 4WD for the 6-speed, then it'd be the best SUV on the market

This is a pic of my FJ in Jacumba, CA
FJ_Jacumba1.JPG

Do any of you use your FJ for pulling trailers? I am interested in a FJ but want one to use pulling trailers with Atvs and sxs on. I've compared their towing capacity to my old Tundra and it's only a difference of about 500 pounds.
Do they come with towing packages? Transmission cooler, light connection, 2" receiver hitch?
I currently have the 2003 Tundra and it's the best vehicle I've ever owned but I'm knocking on 218,000 miles and looking to add to the fleet and retire the truck or to sell the truck and replace it with the FJ.

There are not a lot of them around here for sale, if they are they seem to be extremely proud of them and the price runs me off. I have champagne taste with a beer budget. LoL

I have a first model year FJC and it did not come with a "tow package", but it was pre-wired for the 4 pin brake/signal lights. I had to buy the 4 pin plug from Toyota and it mounts to the inside of the rear crossmember/bumper. The rear bumper also has a removable plastic insert so that you can bolt on the available hitch receiver. I do not believe that a trans-cooler was ever offered on FJCs.

I pull a lightweight military trailer to haul firewood or my camping gear with no issues, but it's no where near 5000lbs, more like 1000lb loaded.

As for your 2003 Tundra (4.7L engine I believe), it's still a great truck and a solid platform. I wouldn't be too worried about it's mileage.

Thanks for the info!
My sister had one of the FJ's in 2007 and because they had a growing family they got rid of it and got a family size SUV...in talking to my brother in law he really liked it and wished he had kept it... of course along with the old style he used to have he said he could kick himself for ever getting rid of either! Wish they had a way to take the tops off the new ones like they did on the old ones.... if they did that I would sell all my other toys and get in line to get one ASAP!

I have heard and seen mixed things on sunroofs for the FJ. Some people say they don't come with one and I have done searches and only found maybe 3 with sunroofs in my time for shopping for an FJ... does anyone know if this is a special feature and only for custom orders?

My understanding is the sunroofs are dealer install/aftermarket only.

This is good to know... not sure I would trust that... I have had 2 Camry's with sunroofs and have really enjoyed them. Even if I don't have it open I really like the sunlight especially in the winter time when there is so little sunlight.

Thank ya'll for answering my questions.

I have an acquaintance that got a sunroof installed immediately after buying his FJC. It was nice and big (extend back over the rear seats) and was done professionally. It certainly brightens up the interior. He could retract the front pane to open air and it had a shade that rolled forward to cover the whole opening and block sun glare.

I added a transmission cooler to my 07 ... not expensive and not a big job ... a good investment in my opinion ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom