HOW DO YOU JUMPSTART A HJ61 24V? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kevin in okinawa

SILVER Star
Threads
I searched, no luck. I assume that the main battery POS gets the + jump cable, but does the - jump cable go to the other battery NEG post (the one that grounds to the body)? I've never had to do this, but I'm shipping the truck soon and it'll be maybe two months before it gets cranked again. I want to be prepared.

Basically
You connect two batteries in series.
One positive post and one negative post are connected with appropriate cable. This leaves a positive post and a negative post from the two batteries available to boostfrom.
+ - connect + -

Screenshot_20200619-095728_Chrome.jpg

As i can recall, i had it jump started on both sides on separate occasions..Both worked. To play safe though due to grounding, get another 24v rig to give you the jump start 😎

Last edited:
Hi All
I have found with mine, if you just connect a 12v source to the left hand (turbo side) battery, then the 24v 12ht starts.
Works well on weak batteries.
Can also charge the RHS battery by connecting jumper leads and letting the other cars alternator charge for 15 minutes if completely dead
Regards
Alex

You need to treat each battery separately. The jump comes from two separate 12 volt battery packs or two separate 12 volt sources ie; 12 volt vehicle and a 12 volt battery pack.

I also rigged my HDJ81 24v starter to start using only 12v as in an emergency.
Not great after -20C but is there just in case and works great if you ever have to bump the engine.

I keep a voltmeter in the truck and just use a Noco jump pack on whichever battery is lowest. Has worked a handful of times so far.

1. Place the vehicles in park
  2. Raise the hoods
  3. Turn the heater on in the vehicle with the dead battery
  4. Make sure the radio, lights, and all other electronic components in the vehicle with the dead battery are turned off
  5. Turn off the radio, headlights, and unplug cell phone chargers on the vehicle that is providing the jump
  6. Turn the engine off on the vehicle that is providing the jump
  7. Check the cables that are connected to the two batteries on the disabled vehicle. If one of the batteries has thicker cables connected to it then this is the battery that you will connect via the jumper cables. If both of the batteries have cables of the same diameter then you may connect the jumper cables to either battery
  8. Connect the jumper cable that has a red clamp to the positive terminal lug on the battery of the disabled vehicle. The positive terminal should have a red cap covering it or you will see a + sign next to the terminal.
  9. Now connect the opposite end of the positive jumper cable to the positive terminal of the vehicle that has a charged battery
  10. Connect one end of the negative cable of the jumper cables to the negative terminal of the car that has the charged battery
  11. Connect the other end of this cable to the negative battery terminal of the dead battery, or you can connect this cable to any metal portion of the vehicle that is unpainted.
  12. Start the engine of the car with the good battery
  13. Start the engine of the vehicle with the dead battery
  14. Allow the batteries to remain connected for ten to fifteen minutes so that the dead battery can receive a proper charge from the hot battery
  15. Turn the engine off on the vehicle that has a hot battery
  16. Do not turn off the engine of the car that just had to get a jump
  17. Disconnect the negative jumper cable end from the car with the dead battery
  18. Disconnect the positive cable ends from the car with the dead battery
  19. Disconnect the positive cable ends from the car with the hot battery
  20. Disconnect the negative cable ends from the car with the hot battery

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom