How do you find a quality dog breeder? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You also want a "hunter" and not a show dog line. Hunters tend not to have the hip problems and are, in my experience, brighter.

x2

You might look for any Game Farms in your general area.. Depending on their operation, some of the guides may be into breeding good hunting dogs. My father has had good luck with this route for his last 3 labs.

Hi everyone,
In the future I will be looking for a choc lab puppy, and I want to find the best quality dog available. I would like a dog of "English" stock. So what are some tips of finding a good quality breeder, and avoiding a "puppy mill"? Does anyone know of quality breeders on the east coast? What should I expect to pay for a quality dog? Any and all help would be great.

Thanks,
Zack

You can pay $100 and get a garage lab that is awesome, or you can pay $3000 and get a puppy with all of the bloodlines that turns out to be a turd. Paying big money is no guarantee of anything.

What are you looking for - a companion or a hunter? If it's just a companion you're after, just look in your paper, go check out the parents and ask to see the AKC line. If it has a lot of interbreeding, skip. If they don't have the papers or ask like it's a big deal to track them down and let you see them, skip.

Isn't it black lab, not chocolate lab? Saying chocolate lab reminds me of beaufort's old Jesus avatar.

Isn't it black lab, not chocolate lab? Saying chocolate lab reminds me of beaufort's old Jesus avatar.

chocolate, black, and yellow are the same thing, just colored differently.

Obligatory my dog pics...

I need to get some more recent pics - that last one is from about two years ago.

I don't need nor want an AKC show dog, just really set on the breed and color and want a purebred. I keep tabs on the classifieds and every so often you get a litter of unregistered pups from a good home, good parents, and for a reasonable price. I suppose I research breeders a bit more for education then for potential sales. I have no funds nor need for a $1200 dog.

JJS,
Are you serious? Labs come in 3 very distinctive colors. (yellow, black & chocolate) with a recessive silver gene as well. B/b, E/e, and Beyond

labradorretriever_phadsell.jpg

4colorsFRAME1.jpg

You're kidding, right?

I thought I should at least ask. I'm sure this is a just a flavor of the week thing for zack. Next week will be "What should I look for in a Pekingnese" thread?

JJS,
Are you serious? Labs come in 3 very distinctive colors. (yellow, black & chocolate) with a recessive silver gene as well. B/b, E/e, and Beyond

I don't know much about labs. I thought all the dark ones were considered black labs. I haven't had a dog in a long time, and haven't been in the market. I had a Shepherd and a Basset Hound 10+ years ago.

wob, it was in reference to all the shameless dog pics that '74 UA used to post.

I thought I should at least ask. I'm sure this is a just a flavor of the week thing for zack. Next week will be "What should I look for in a Pekingnese" thread?

NAh, been set on a lab for years. NOT a hunting dog, just a hopefully well behaved family pet. And I like the look of the English stock, short, blockly,and mild manners.

Zack

NAh, been set on a lab for years. NOT a hunting dog, just a hopefully well behaved family pet. And I like the look of the English stock, short, blockly,and mild manners.

Zack

You should probably know that, as a general rule, labs have a huge amount of energy, tend to be hyper as young dogs, need a lot of exercise, require a lot of discipline, and need a lot of human contact in order to be worth a crap.

Just FYI.

Zack

Mine comes from an English stock (via Canada about 4 generations prior). Big block head, stout compact body (around 80 lbs), but gentle and mild mannered he is not. Think bull in a china shop - Labs don't settle down until they are about five or so...

EDIT: What Atticus said. I'm on a pretty good rotation right now. My dogs are about five years apart. When one gets old and dies, I replace it. I always have an older dog to "watch out" for a younger dog. Owning a lab puppy with no other dogs to play with or constant supervision is cheating it. You don't even want to know what the first year and a half of chewing is gonna be like...

You forgot to add that they shed a lot.

Oh, and it could be worse. I have a six year old weim who's still a fxxxing spaz.

Every time i go into Sportmans Wharehouse there are flyers for dogs for sale. Some are the type of things where people can't have a dog for some reason and are trying to sell or give it away. Might be able to get a 1-2 year old that is trained and grown up a little. Also lots of puppies for sale. Might be worth a look if you have one in your area. I think it's a better chance to get a real hunting dog there than from the newspaper.

I'm not too fond of dog breeders after getting burned by a couple. Though it's like anything, there are good ones and bad ones.

You forgot to add that they shed a lot.

Oh, and it could be worse. I have a six year old weim who's still a fxxxing spaz.

Weims very very high energy and rather defiant/hard to train, from what I've read.

They can definitely be a little...stubborn. But smart as a whip.

That one is easy, check for pulse and breathing, if both are absent it is a keeper. Worst damn "dogs" in the history of dogs, stupid, stubborn, almost completely untrainable, shed all over everything, and have all sorts of health problems. As a matter of fact, the main reason people hate the Chinese is because they created the pekingese breed. I have known a couple of pit bulls I would have as a pet, not a single pekingese.

Can't help you on the chocolate, if you were looking for a yellow I know of a good breeder.

Get a mutt, they are the best.

That one is easy, check for pulse and breathing, if both are absent it is a keeper. Worst damn "dogs" in the history of dogs, stupid, stubborn, almost completely untrainable, shed all over everything, and have all sorts of health problems. As a matter of fact, the main reason people hate the Chinese is because they created the pekingese breed. I have known a couple of pit bulls I would have as a pet, not a single pekingese.

Can't help you on the chocolate, if you were looking for a yellow I know of a good breeder.

Get a mutt, they are the best.

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom