How do my wheels spin?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello. I apologize if my question sounds foolish, but sometimes things just come up that I don't understand and you guys and gals are so knowlegdeable I just have to ask....

When I am driving in 2WD, do both rear wheels have traction? If not, why? I was driving in some mud the other day and car started to slip a little and I accelerated it (got out fine...) and felt that only the rear right wheel was spinning in the mud and the other wheel was not. Did I get the wrong impression?

Second: my very obvious 2nd question is, when I put 4WD, it is really the 4 wheels that have traction?

Thank you and thanks in advance for your comments and expertise.

Serge

serge01 said:
When I am driving in 2WD, do both rear wheels have traction? If not, why? I was driving in some mud the other day and car started to slip a little and I accelerated it (got out fine...) and felt that only the rear right wheel was spinning in the mud and the other wheel was not. Did I get the wrong impression?

Second: my very obvious 2nd question is, when I put 4WD, it is really the 4 wheels that have traction?

Thank you and thanks in advance for your comments and expertise.

Serge

One tire will spin and one will not because you have open diffs. This allows different wheel speeds when turning corners without scuffing tires. So a 4WD isnt truely 4WD unless you have locker to make the axle shafts spin at the same speed. With open diffs there will be situations where the tire with traction will not spin as the power is transfered to the side with no traction. Get lockers (or engage them if you have manual lockers) and all wheels will have power going to them.

Hi Sergio,

Welcome to the REAL world of 4wd.

First off take the time to read this.

Under normal high traction conditions, in 2wd, the wheels are both getting power. When 1 wheel is in low traction (mud) the torque from the driveline takes the path of least resistance. So the wheel in mud will get 100% of the torque. This is in a standard open diff. The only way to get around this is to have a closed or locked diff or a limited slip diff. When locked, both wheels are bound together by a physical link, splitting torque 50/50. In a limited slip, fluid or a series of clutch discs are used to transfer some of the torque (usually around 25-30%) to the wheel with traction.

So you're 2wd under normal conditions and 1wd in low traction.

When you're 80 is in 4wd the same happens to the front. In mud you go from 4wd to 2wd (1 front and 1 rear). This is because the 4wd lever phyically connects (locks) the front and rear drive shafts and splits power 50/50 (fr/rr).

Hope this helps,
Alex

lockers make these rigs unstoppable, almost I bet.

Sure know my next rig i'm, gonna want em!

Eric Winkworth said:
lockers make these rigs unstoppable, almost I bet.

Sure know my next rig i'm, gonna want em!

Go with a Lockright or Aussie. I love my rear Lockright and cant wait to ge ta front locker in :D

i am not a big fan of non=selectable lockers in the front of a LC, a locker in the front can spell dimise of the birfields... a limited slip seems to be more forgiving in the front...
cheers

crushers said:
i am not a big fan of non=selectable lockers in the front of a LC, a locker in the front can spell dimise of the birfields... a limited slip seems to be more forgiving in the front...
cheers

which limited slip do you normally buy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom