How did this seller get a 97 in the states? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

https://jalopnik.com/the-shady-way-shops-beat-america-s-25-year-car-import-r-1792143525

"Sources with knowledge of these JDM grey market say dealers skirt federal import laws through familiar methods for illegally shipping vehicles into the U.S.

In particular, they say, the companies have vehicles shipped over in parts and reassembled in the states; one source said that, thanks to Canada’s less restrictive import laws—15 years instead of 25—that grey market sellers will have the cars physically driven south, to be left in states with less-restrictive titling laws, like Florida."

So I messaged the guy. He sent me the title, and insurance. All registered in FL. He's an engine builder. I would have to assume he just brought the engine separate.

It would be like buying a race car. You risk losing it all. There is also a chance you could own it forever

It must be low on the priority list. Otherwise they wouldn’t be all over ebay and craigslist. I haven’t spoke to this seller but seems like all the others claim to have no idea of the Import history but stress it has a legal title.

I don’t see the logic in it because they aren’t selling or being bid up very high because it is an illegal import. Maybe it can get retitled in Florida again or transfered to another state when it reaches 25 and buyers will assume it was a legal import.

It must be low on the priority list. Otherwise they wouldn’t be all over ebay and craigslist. I haven’t spoke to this seller but seems like all the others claim to have no idea of the Import history but stress it has a legal title.

I don’t see the logic in it because they aren’t selling or being bid up very high because it is an illegal import. Maybe it can get retitled in Florida again or transfered to another state when it reaches 25 and buyers will assume it was a legal import.
Well it is definitley titled in Florida. So I guess if you want that truck you have to be in Florida to drive it?

You could definitely drive it anywhere and likely get a new title in many states. But if it came here illegally originally it is always at risk of getting confiscated or crushed even after reaching 25 years.

You could definitely drive it anywhere and likely get a new title in many states. But if it came here illegally originally it is always at risk of getting confiscated or crushed even after reaching 25 years.

People always bring up the confiscation or crushing of a vehicle. Way worse is what happens if you get in an accident with a vehicle that was not approved for road use in the USA? Insurance can drop you like a rock and if someone is injured; expect that to come out of your bank account directly. You have to decided what your willing to pay for your toy!

Has this actually happened or speculation? I read a story about the insurance not wanting to pay the repairs and reporting it. I'm curious if insurance companies have the burden to prove it isn't equivalent safety wise to the vehicle listed on the insurance or the insured. I would almost think it would be like modifications.

Buy this one instead.
It is much newer, bigger, more powerful engine, more exotic too.

2009 Nissan Patrol GL 4X4 | eBay

It is a nice truck but extremely overpriced and the 3L engine is not very desirable. Much better to get the TD42T.

You can buy nice Patrols with the 3L engine in Central America for $10-15k all day long. Even late 2000's.

This one was probably driven up here. I saw another Patrol a few years back that was also driven up here, titled in Washington and for sale on Ebay. I asked the seller how they got it here legally and they were clueless to what I was talking about.

Cheers

I get asked on a monthly basis if I can import one our Defenders to the States. I can understand the desire to have one, trust me I drive a 2005 D90 TD5 here in Costa Rica and my buddies from Texas when visiting want to bring one back. There is, was and will be individuals and companies bringing in cars illegally. Whether they get around the 21 or 25 year rules, customs and all the other hoops for me at the end of they day I rather have a car I can enjoy. Already enough stress owning a classic 4x4 with repairs much less added stress it could be taken away at any given moment. And yes, they do search for these illegally imported cars. Ask the group of guys busted awhile back for importing all the illegal Defenders. It affected us who do this legally as customs put a 6 month hold on all LEGAL imported Defenders. So I don’t agree with supporting individuals that do it as it can affect others. My 2 cents!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom