How bad/good can it be? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last week, while driving down the highway, my '89 FJ-62 lost oil pressure (failed low) and suddenly began knocking real bad. I pulled off the highway and shut it down. I had it towed home and here is what I've determined thus far:

1) Plenty of oil in the crankcase
2) Will start and probably continue running but knocks fairly loud
3) No leakage

Have not drained the oil yet but will check for metal.

Any ideas? Hopefully, the engine is not shot but if it is, wondering if it would be better to replace with new or rebuilt straight 6. Or, should I throw a 350 in it?

Any suggestions from anyone been down this road before.

My magic 8 ball says... "leaning toward spun connecting rod bearing". You'll need to pull your motor and have the crank (amoungst other things) carefully inspected. Most optimistic view thru rose colored glasses...no major damage ...resurface crank and renew bearings and put it back in. Worst case...well :'(. If it were me, and it all went bad...I'd put in the SBC. :dunno:

i had same problem only i was 200 miles from home and no money... um mine turned out to be a blown #4 piston hole went right thru the middle of it, i rebuilt big mistake should have gone with the 350 would have saved me moeny time and pain.
nate

Sounds veeeerrrry familier. Rod went through the side of the block the next day, but not before it smashed into the cam, breaking it at the second bearing and dropping the whole mess into the oil pan with the lifters and push rods. Nothing bigger than a walnut came out.

Stop while you at least still have a rebuildable core.

Then sell that tractor motor.

Come feel the power of the Dark Side. Let the more pure toil slowly at the feet of the Cruiser Gods for eternity. Seek the easy path to short lived Power. :D

I'm a purist, I'm the first to admit it. I would get it inspected, see what the damage is, and reasses your options. To me part of what makes a cruiser a cruiser is the engine. I just love the sound, feel and the fact that after 189k miles and 30 years, the F keeps right on truckin without a rebuild. But I must admit I have dreamt of a built 383 stroker in a 40 just so I could have a cruiser with more power than my buddies that drive fullsizes.

keep the straight six in it if its dead.

expensive-looking at 1200 or so for a rebuild kit
think have seen low mileage engines on sor for around 1700 or so, not sure.

cruiserparts.net has used engines with a warranty of sorts, around 700 or so.

or can look around and find one cheaper, theres always someone looking to get rid of theres (see above posts)

:D

hope its the best case scenario

forget about the boat anchor it aint worth fixin I have been there done that and finnaly went v8 and I will never look back 1000- 1700 bucks you can do a v8 WHY NOT? more power less weight better axess to parts :slap:

Seems like its time for a big decision... I agree with most so far... GO SBC. Not that I think Chevy makes better engines than Toyota, its just you can buy two Chevy engines for the price of one Toyota and they're not that much less reliable. Especially considering they can last 150k no prob... how much more do you need? On top of all that, more power... best of all worlds! I have a 305 in my FJ40 and couldn't be happier (unless it were a new 350 :D)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom