How are your drawer systems holding up over time? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ARB? Dobinsons? Land Shark? ADGU? Ironman? DFG? Etc etc?

How’s the hardware holding up to use and mileage? Rattles, broken bits or bobs? Would you buy the same product today?

Very happy with my ARB drawers, I'm in them several times a day. Installed in Spring 2018 so 5 years of very constant use. I have no experience with any of the other brands, would buy again.

I took mine apart a couple of years ago and added lights, it was a PITA project but it was worth it. A couple of the fragile plastic clips that hold them open are broken now, but it's no big deal to me.

I’ve had the Land Shark drawers for a few years. Hard to beat the price but my tool drawer has been dragging on one of the U bolts that secure it to the floor. At some point, it will wear through. Probably due to all the weight (which I will admit, is a lot to ask for the draw). It takes a lot of effort to open and close that drawer, something I would not as the girlfriend to do. Aside from the dragging, no noises or other real concerns.

I would love to pull the trigger on a setup from Trekboxx, those things are sweet from the little I’ve seen them in person. Currently saving up for a house so a few thousand dollars for drawers is out of the question.

My Goose gear single drawer system is in pristine shape after 30k miles.
No rattles and the clasps and slides work fine.

I’m approaching 20k with my ARB drawers. One of the ARB stickers fell off the first month or so, other than that they have been great. They probably have too much stuff in them but no rattles. I have the slide top model and they get used often with 50-100 pounds at times. They are still operating fine.

Bonus points for their ability to take velcro patches, my kids like to put trip patches on there, we start the collection over each January.

My Land Shark drawers have about 3 years and 40,000mi on them. I added some metal edge protection to the back top edge and carpeted the top and inside of the drawers which I think helps with wear and tear. The drawer latches are pretty light duty and my heavy gear drawer seems to unlatch and latch under heavier acceleration or braking, but not really an issue. They did offer a locking handle/latch that probably would have been a good idea, but I bet I can rig something up if it bothers me.

I don’t regret them at all. If I were in the market again, I’d probably take a really close look at the ADGU setup. I had one of their platforms in my 100, but decided I wanted drawers in the 200. I don’t think they had their drawers on the market at that time.

I put in a set of Titans (ARB copy) in 2016 after a great run from ARBs in my 100 series. I cut the Titans in half and then stacked them vertically so my wife can reach the fridge, being somewhat vertically challenged(1). Not as "finished" as the ARBs but still holding up after 100,000 km of corrugations and dust; no new rattles or discernable wear.

Why?
Have been eyeing these for my LX. Just about to pull the trigger.
Please dissuade me.

• Roller top only on one side
  • Drawers don’t fully extend
  • Drawers don’t lock in extended position
  • Roller top doesn’t lock in extended position
  • The latches for the wing covers are these cheap plastic screw in latches that will break or gum up the first time you use them
  • Wing mounts are wimpy. Mine have come loose several times and you have to take the top and drawer out to tighten them

My homemade drawer system needs pretty consistent care and updating, but the price was right. :)

20230712_191505.jpg

I have had ARB drawers for several years. They have been fine, couple of small very minor squeaks here and there but can be resolved with strategic gear placement and making sure everything stays tight.

Only issue is the tabs break off the main drawer extension locks, preventing the drawers from locking in the open position. This is the one flaw in the ARB drawers as far as I am concerned.

• Roller top only on one side
  • Drawers don’t fully extend
  • Drawers don’t lock in extended position
  • Roller top doesn’t lock in extended position
  • The latches for the wing covers are these cheap plastic screw in latches that will break or gum up the first time you use them
  • Wing mounts are wimpy. Mine have come loose several times and you have to take the top and drawer out to tighten them
So with this in mind, and considering cost as an important factor, what would be a better option? (factoring in the extra cost if a unit does not have a fridge slide).

My Dobinson drawers have been in use for 6 years, almost 90k miles. No rattles or failed hardware. I keep all my recovery gear, hatchet, machete, extra receiver hitch/balls in there. I’m not a huge fan of the plastic screws that retain the side covers but mine have worked fine. It’s easy to get them started with the threads crossed, but you just have to back them off and restart. I bolt my fridge to the slide out side and don’t care that it doesn’t lock in place when extended. I usually try to park in a level spot when getting into the back anyway.

So with this in mind, and considering cost as an important factor, what would be a better option? (factoring in the extra cost if a unit does not have a fridge slide).
There really isn’t another option in this price category. Speaking for myself these flaws are big enough that I’m looking at alternatives.

Thanks.

Here's another question regarding everyone's drawer setup.
I have a Dometic 75L fridge, that has an access height of 17". If I mount this on a drawer system (Dobinsons for example), that is 10" high, then this puts it at 27".
My LX 570 with AHC in the low position puts the rear floor height at 30" or so, which means that the fridge access is at 57", which is at chin height for my wife.

In your experience, is this access height too inconvenient for camping use?
Also considering single drawer and mounted fridge slider for this reason (less storage).

My 200 has a few inches of lift and I have the big ARB elements. At 6' even, I can just peek over the top of the fridge. You can spend a couple hundred on a tilting fridge slide or throw a folding step stool in the back like we did for LCDC.

Short people, rejoice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom