Hose Identification Help Needed - 98 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a small, oily leak coming from the hose marked in this picture. The hose looks like it's missing a clamp, too. I'll buy a new clamp and install it, but was wondering about the substance that has been leaky out of this hose for an undetermined amount of time.

I guess it'd be good to know more about the other two hoses that come off of this "T", too.

This area is located behind the engine block, near the driver's side firewall.

Thanks!
LX470 Hose (Large).jpg

Its a water pipe for the front heating system.

Part Detail

Heater Hose.

Looks like it has a clamp on it w/ the Tang turned around away from the camera...

Pman: Thanks for the parts detail. I'm going to replace all 3 hoses and clamps that go into that "T". Seems like an easy enough job.

Bamachem: Great Internet vision. I'm standing 2 feet away from that hose in person and it looked like it was missing. It's a different color shade than the other clamps so that threw me off. Only when I touched it did I feel it was there.

Last Question before I start: I assume the oily substance is anti-freeze. Since I'm going to pull those 3 hoses, will anti-freeze rush out? I don't think so, since the hoses are so high, but I don't know for sure.

Thanks!

I wouldn't replace unless you think that there's a reason to (other than the small leak).

I would get a gear clamp and put it on the leaking hose and forget about it.

If you pull any hose off that Tee, then coolant will flow out, but only what is contained in the hoses themselves plus any passages that they connect to. You can crimp them off with vice-grips and just change the Tee and clamps without loosing much coolant at all if you want to do that as an option.

• Dislike
Reactions: KDL
I would start by pulling and inspecting the connections and hose edges. The hose toward the firewall looks out of position. Maybe a nudge is all you need.

Are you actually loosing noticeable amounts of coolant (measured at the reservoir) ?

Are the hoses soft or cracked at all? You might want to consider swapping them out anyway. Use Gates Green Stripe or something equally high quality, and you should be good for a long time. Also, while you're at it, put proper hose clamps on, not those ones that come from the factory.

Fixed

Finally got in there planning to replace hoses, clamps and the "T" junction pipe. As soon as I got going, the "T" crumbled to bits. It was rotted through. Swapped it out, reclamped, cleaned the area up, repositioned all clamp tangs for easier future access, topped off antifreeze with some Toyota Red and so far, not a drop has leaked.

I'll keep an eye on the area for a while. Thanks everyone for your help, I really appreciate it.
IMG_1159 (Large).jpg
IMG_1173 (Large).jpg
IMG_1170 (Large).jpg

Wow. *note to self - go check the plastic antifreeze fittings under the hood ASAP.

Thanks for the update on what it was.

Tee's are one of the most covered PM items in mud. This is one of the many threads on subject.

19 out of 20, I only replace the plastic tees. I use Toyota parts when I do. If hose are swollen, I'll then replace those. But they (hoses) generally are not. If replacing hoses, great care must be taken to not crush aluminum piping coming from front and rear heater cores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom