Horseshoe hills ride possible? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone ever go ride around in the horseshoe hills area east of Clarkson? I see some dirt roads, Pole Gulch, Skyline, Cloud House, and some stuff labeled as jeep trails. It looks possible to make a connection through there and come out on Menard Rd. I'm wondering if its actually possible or if at some point it becomes gated? I know a portion of the land is private, I've seen lots for sale, but there is a mix of public in there as well. If it is accessible do you think it would be possible to make it through there now or is it to early in the year still?

It's kinda hard to explain, there's a few people there that don't like other people. It's a lot mellower than it used to be but still interesting. Got some good friends that live there and there's always a good story. The bridge over 16 mile is still out so you can't get to toston

It's kinda hard to explain, there's a few people there that don't like other people. It's a lot mellower than it used to be but still interesting. Got some good friends that live there and there's always a good story. The bridge over 16 mile is still out so you can't get to toston
The route I mapped doesn't go as far up as Toston, see attached image. Are the roads private so that those people have a say in you driving through? If they aren't private then annoying people isn't really my concern.

IMG_2299.PNG

Let’s just say it’s a different world in the hills above clarkston
I had the same thought about that area:cautious:. Then I started to thinking the goal was wanting to do the Maudlow Run which continues north from the turn off at Flathead Pass. I haven't checked yet but I am sure there are still some abandoned vehicles on that road from this spring and last years attempts stuck in the mud.

clemso55, your map shows north to Flathead Pass turn off, west on Pass Creek to Menard and on west up and over the Horseshoe range and coming out at Clarkston and then south back to Logan. It took me a while on a real paper map because of the lack of land marks but I figured it out. I like big paper maps with big print. The map I have was last updated in 1994 and I can't figure out how to use the new ON X OFFROAD app

The only place in question is over the top of the Horseshoe Hills that is private and I do not know if the county gave up the roads to the locals or if they are clear enough yet. I work with a friend who has a compound up there and I will ask for first hand info on Thursday. If you don't hear back from me for a while, I would suggest SAR start looking in that area.

haven't been up there driving around for a couple of years, need to go for a ride again this summer. most of the roads going east in clarkston going up had gates the last time i drove up there. When you get on top of the hill it's mostly private ranch ground with some state land interspersed. Go for a ride and give us a report, it's nice country up there along with some sights not normally seen in the gallatin valley. There are some roads closer to the gun range that go and will link up with dry crk. When it snowy or wet they can be fun.

like Mark was saying, another pretty drive is from Maudlow to ringling, great bar in ringling with good food. from ringling you head back to the west then north and can end up on top of deep creek. not much cell phone reception in that area if that has any meaning and the maudlow-ringling is clay. Then if you have time head towards martinsdale but turn up towards the ghost town of castle then go over the top and end up in checkerboard. From checkerboard you can head north and end up at the middle fork of the judith for that trip. Darn, think i'm planning a road trip for this summer. Maudlow is on the north end of dry creek rd.

One last report for all of you nature lovers, on the east side of canyon ferry heading north from townsend it's kinda like the serengeti. When you go past plymales start watching for elk. Last evening I had to wait for several hundred head to cross the road just a couple miles north of confederate gulch. I saw lots of deer, antelope and elk. At the mouth of avalanche I was watching a dozen mtn. goats pretty low and easy to see even without binocs. I could continue but my fingers are gettin tired, I have my spreader truck in a field off avalanche waiting for the snow to melt.

I had the same thought about that area:cautious:. Then I started to thinking the goal was wanting to do the Maudlow Run which continues north from the turn off at Flathead Pass. I haven't checked yet but I am sure there are still some abandoned vehicles on that road from this spring and last years attempts stuck in the mud.

clemso55, your map shows north to Flathead Pass turn off, west on Pass Creek to Menard and on west up and over the Horseshoe range and coming out at Clarkston and then south back to Logan. It took me a while on a real paper map because of the lack of land marks but I figured it out. I like big paper maps with big print. The map I have was last updated in 1994 and I can't figure out how to use the new ON X OFFROAD app

The only place in question is over the top of the Horseshoe Hills that is private and I do not know if the county gave up the roads to the locals or if they are clear enough yet. I work with a friend who has a compound up there and I will ask for first hand info on Thursday. If you don't hear back from me for a while, I would suggest SAR start looking in that area.
Thanks, would like to hear from someone with firsthand knowledge. I am thinking about checking it out in 2-3 weekends depending what the weather does, this weekend seems like it would be way to wet/snowy.

Thats the GAIA GPS app, I like it for mapping but I don't know that the ownership info is anything close to On X.

The Hills have eyes.
We bury our problems out here.
ive been out to clarkston may times. Used to work for the county. We didn't venture far back there. It gets weird fast. i would love to make the trip out to maudow and ringling if you guys ever run it. Too bad that the land owner closed the old railroad grade because theres some sweet old tunnels through the mountain back there we got to drive in the county trucks

ive been out to clarkston may times. Used to work for the county. We didn't venture far back there. It gets weird fast. i would love to make the trip out to maudow and ringling if you guys ever run it. Too bad that the land owner closed the old railroad grade because theres some sweet old tunnels through the mountain back there we got to drive in the county trucks
I drove Maudlow to Ringling this past weekend. Tried to continue and get to FS991 but a landowner had gated that too, had to backtrack and loop all the way around from Wilsall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom