Horn Quit Working....Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The low volume horn quit working about a month ago, and the high pitched horn was working fine. I took them off and swapped them, just to see if it was an actual horn problem, or something else. It didn't work, so I put them back where they belong, now neither of the work. All I knew to do was check the fuse and it is fine. Where would I start the diagnosis?

I took the horns back off, and checked them with 12v battery. They both work that way. I then checked power to fuse and it checks out good. Seems to be issue between fuse box and horn hookups? Not sure how to check the 1 wire pin at horn to see if power is getting there.

Horn relay coil gets grounded when you push the steering wheel pad. That closes the Horn relay contacts which sends +12V to the horns. You can test each branch separately to find where the fault lies.

If horns test good out of the vehicle, but they don’t honk when you push the steering wheel pad, then go back to the relay and test if the wire to the horns from pin 3 is intact: Pull the relay and jumper directly from the battery into pin 3 of the relay socket. Beep beep?

If no beep beep then the wire is broken. If beep beep then test relay coil for switchyness. If no switchy switchey then replace relay. If yes switchey then steering wheel pad ground connection is suspect.

And to make a long story short, the steering wheel ground is most likely the issue. The spiral wire mechanism behind the airbag is a common breaky breaky thingy.
9C71DDA2-EE4F-470F-9069-5BBAC3D3DD5D.jpeg

OK thanks, but my '07 LX doesn't look like that. Finding the fuse was easy though.

Thanks and I stumbled into that as well. My fuse box has some small clips all the way around it on the outside of the box. Looks like you could possibly separate the fuse box in half? I'm wondering if those relays are underneath the fuses?

To answer your question, those relays are not readily apparent.

I'm almost thinking the engine compartment fuse box comes apart as indicated by these clips along the bottom of the box

fuse 1.jpg
fuse2.jpg

I'm almost thinking the engine compartment fuse box comes apart as indicated by these clips along the bottom of the box

View attachment 2957872View attachment 2957873

Why do you want the fuse box to come apart? Try gently push on the tab in your first picture to remove the cover, flip the cover over to see if there is a map on the other side of the cover.

I've already done that, and the horn relay is not in this particular fuse box according to the map you are referencing. There are other relays in there though, just not the horn relay. I am assuming there are other relays underneath there somewhere since the diagrams I have seen specifically say the horn relay R4 is in the engine compartment fuse box. I just can't find it.

I've already done that, and the horn relay is not in this particular fuse box according to the map you are referencing. There are other relays in there though, just not the horn relay. I am assuming there are other relays underneath there somewhere since the diagrams I have seen specifically say the horn relay R4 is in the engine compartment fuse box. I just can't find it.
Oh well, just trying to help. Your previous post sounded like you didn't know how to remove the fuse box cover.

Sorry for the confusion. I checked that fuse first thing. I appreciate it anyway medtro.

So I hooked up my multi meter to the horn, positive to the power slot in harness, negative to horn bracket (ground). When "honking" the horn via steering wheel engagement, I can hear clicking in the fuse box supposedly where the horn relay is. I get nothing over the multi meter when doing this. Even though it seems the relay is clicking, could it still be a faulty relay that is failing to send power to the horn?

Thanks again. It does appear you have to replace the entire junction box/fuse assembly instead of changing out one measly relay switch. What a load of crap....

I also found this online that seems to verify this.

junction box.jpg

I came across this thread. Sorry for the stupid questions but I'm an electrical moron. In reading this guy's remedy, isn't his solution based on a working small horn wire giving power to the new relay? My problem seems to be no power getting to the horn in the first place. Thanks again.

Screenshot_20220322-084322_Samsung Internet.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom