Hood vents (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys.
What are you using for hood vents to dissipate under hood heat after installing a 350 ?

Should not be much of an issue honestly.

What problems are you trying to remedy?

It is stupid hot under the hood of my tbi 350 fj40.5. Engine temp runs in the 210 range in summer.Rams horns might be the culprit.

Last edited:
You should not have any problems cooling a 350 in Colorado.
Cast Iron exhaust manifolds should help keep the temps down..

What radiator are you running?

Griffin dual 1 1/2" tube aluminum with 2700 cfm electric fan.

High flow water pump?

Bigger fan always a good idea too.

Mark...

210 is what some of those tbi motors like. Drop in a cam with more duration and you'll get down to 180 or less.

thermo temp for a tbi is 210 isn't it?

Mark...

I am good with the engine running temps, the truck runs great. I was just wanting to vent the hood more because it seems like it needs it. What made me think of it was the fj45 that BTB built had a ton of louvers cut into the hood and it got me thinking it would be a good idea. Inside the cab I have dynamat, dynaliner, and dynadeck, so it's comfy and quiet.

Most (all?) vented hoods I have seen simply have the vents punched into the hood itself. Check with local body shops maybe to see if they can point you at someone who does custom stuff like this.

Mark...

I am good with the engine running temps, the truck runs great. I was just wanting to vent the hood more because it seems like it needs it. What made me think of it was the fj45 that BTB built had a ton of louvers cut into the hood and it got me thinking it would be a good idea. Inside the cab I have dynamat, dynaliner, and dynadeck, so it's comfy and quiet.

90% of the stuff BTB does is for effect..

those hooded louvers don't actually do all that much, unless you can pressurize the air out of them from the compartment, heat migrating into cold won't produce an efficient result, what would escape may be comparable to what escapes the gaps between a 40's hood and aprons.

The easiest solution would be to upgrade your fan, from there, maybe adding a helper electric fan, and getting a high-flow radiator.

Griffin dual 1 1/2" tube aluminum with 2700 cfm electric fan.

Are you running a shroud? I had issues until I put a shroud on.

I've got a Chevy TBI 350 in my 40 w/ ramhorns and my temps stay around 190-195 (I think I have a 192* thermostat). I have a shroud which makes a big difference.

Nick

The OP is running an electric fan guys. ;)

Hood vents do let a lot of air (and heat) our of a '40 engine bay.

Mark...

The OP is running an electric fan guys. ;)

Hood vents do let a lot of air (and heat) our of a '40 engine bay.

Mark...

Ya', I went from an un shrowded electric fan to a shrowded one (Taurus) and saw big improvements. Electric fans still bennifit from a shroud, right?

Electrics that don't have a shroud built in should get one. I had the same trouble while running a MKVIII fan, the engine was fine as coolant temp went but the underhood temps were very high. When you shut it off you could hear fuel boiling in the carb, while going slow during long climbs the engine would start to bog down etc. I could leave the fan on continously and it solved the problem, but keeping up with the electric demands at idle was another demon to deal with. My final solution was to use a 19" 7 blade clutch fan. Not so much to cool the motor as to cool the engine bay. I'm using a 19x26 !l radiator on a mild 383 with tube fenders and no inner fenders. Made night and day difference.

Helped a friend w/ a '34 Mercedes kit car build. We ran into the problem that with a mechanical fan it ran great on the hwy, but it didn't push enough air through the radiator in town. Couple of electrics, and it ran great in down, but on the hwy couldn't vent enough hot air out of the engine bay - it's issue was the fenders actually kept the air from coming out beause of the air flow around them. Final solution (after wrapping the exhaust manifolds and lower t-stat and a bunch of other stuff that didn't get us where we wanted to be) - was electric fan and a mechanical fan!! The mechanical was the only one with the power to blow the air out of the engine bay at hwy speed. Was quite the little experiment to get to that point.

I actually used a die and put 10 2" holes in each fender well. I think I will order some run cool vents and see how it works. My electric fan does have a shroud, and I have played the thermostat game. I guess we'll see. Thanks for the input guys.

Mike

first of all a manuel fan will out pull any electric on the market and yes it will need a shroud and maybe a pusher in front for added safetly
fj40complete062.jpg
fj40complete072.jpg
fj40complete053.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom