Hood mounted solar panel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.badlandsexpeditions.wordpress.com
I wonder if this 100 Series panel will fit on a 200 Series hood. I sent Cascadia 4X4 an email for the measurements .

LX470_edited_2_800x.png

i saw this kit from lensunsolar,com...

But how would you mount it down? Double sided tape??
i dont want to drill holes into my hood.

Installtion: We suggest install the flexible solar panel by 3M Tape, Sikaflex glue or screw, and add a vinyl wrap between the solar panel and the hood to protect the car paint.

Been interested in a hood solar for a couple years since hearing about an Arizona company from @Mogwai.

One cool aspect of having it mounted on the hood is it offers an easy way to angle it more directly toward the sun by simply raising the hood in camp....

Last edited:
This would really save a lot space on the roof. I thought of mounting a 100 watt ridged panel across my roof top Alu boxes. If I needed a spare part or the walls for my Batwing then I would have to deconstruct whatever mounting system I was using. Seemed like a lot of extra work

There are other companies making flexible solar panels that have full adhesive ready to go on the back side. Xantrex for one. I'm leary of double stick tape lasting very long in the extreme environment of a hood.

I prefer to park in the shade when camping, so I'm a big fan of flexible portable panels and not a fan of panels installed on a vehicle or camper. My Renogy 100W flexible panel running through a MPPT controller supplies all I need for the batteries and with a 40 foot cable I can put the panel anywhere there is sun. It's light and thin and easy to store.

Installtion: We suggest install the flexible solar panel by 3M Tape, Sikaflex glue or screw, and add a vinyl wrap between the solar panel and the hood to protect the car paint.
This can be an alternative to 3M tape.

Amazon product ASIN B072K586ZW
Agree that use of vinyl wrap is very important to avoid moisture related issues with your paint when surface mounting solar panels.

This can be an alternative to 3M tape.

Amazon product ASIN B072K586ZW
Agree that use of vinyl wrap is very important to avoid moisture related issues with your paint when surface mounting solar panels.
You would still have to use tape to tape the magnets to the panel.

You would still have to use tape to tape the magnets to the panel.
I use stainless countersunk machine screws, washers and locking nuts with these (no glue/no tape) to attach a flex panel that has stainless mounting ring holes.

I use stainless countersunk machine screws, washers and locking nuts with these (no glue) to attach a flex panel that has stainless mounting ring holes.

Of course with a panel with mounting grommets. The hood mounted panels don't have any grommets.

Of course with a panel with mounting grommets. The hood mounted panels don't have any grommets.
I assumed one could add that but perhaps not depending on the material. An aside, whatever your attachment method, solar panels can get very hot when mounted directly to sheet metal which leads to early failure. Some recommend placing white corrugated plastic backer (e.g. the type used for signs) between the panel and the surface to provide an air gap.

Solar panels also lose efficiency as they heat up beyond 77F. Not a ton but it does happen and gets worse as it heats up.

Vehicle hoods get very toasty with the various explosions happening under it's surface.

Obviously , then , solar panels are not meant to placed in the sun to prevent overheating.

Obviously , then , solar panels are not meant to placed in the sun to prevent overheating.

Obviously, you need to do more research.

Obviously, you need to do more research.

Just saying solar panels , in order to work, have to be in the sun. Anything in the sun gets hot.
So keeping them cool is not very realistic. I wonder why many solar farms are in the hot Southwest desert ?

Just saying solar panels , in order to work, have to be in the sun. So keeping them cool is not very realistic. I wonder why many solar farms are in the hot Southwest desert ?

Those panels have airflow behind them.
I assume it's one of the reasons most home and RV panels have an air gap behind them to help reduce the heat buildup. Just a guess.
All that said, a flat panel directly on vehicle hood, especially dark colored hood, directly above the engine, seems like a worst-case-scenario for heat buildup.

Those panels have airflow behind them.
I assume it's one of the reasons most home and RV panels have an air gap behind them to help reduce the heat buildup. Just a guess.
All that said, a flat panel directly on vehicle hood, especially dark colored hood, directly above the engine, seems like a worst-case-scenario for heat buildup.

Sure that makes sense but solar panel in the sun, on a stand , in 100 plus degree heat with 100 degree ambient air temps is not going to be cool.

Like saying ice cube trays should not be used in the freezer.

Last edited:
I never understood solar on a car with a perfectly good alternator.

[
I never understood solar on a car with a perfectly good alternator.

Because alternators don’t power a fridge while parked/camping/hiking/fishing.

Last edited:
@TonyP is right, you want airflow under your solar panel if possible. Panels lose efficiency as they heat up. Your metal hood gets hot. Even a small airgap in this case isn't ideal, you really want a few inches at least. Roof rack mounting is better if you have the space.

Panel angle will make a difference in output as well. If they are mounted flat you lose 10-30% of output depending on time of year, location on the globe, etc.

Also shading any part of the panel will really hurt. Even a small amount of shade will drastically reduce output. So on your hood might be OK if the sun is directly above but if it's partially behind the truck and a part of the panel gets shaded by your roof, RTT, etc it'll seriously drop the output.

Panels are in my experience about 50% efficient. So a 100W panels will get you about 50W at peak. Maybe 60W if you're lucky. You'll get much less when the sun is low (~20W). I don't know how much power an ARB fridge draws over the course of the day, but you might be better off getting one or two flexible panels but NOT attaching to your vehicle and instead attaching and repositioning them when you park to camp then putting away when you drive.

Also keep in mind the force of wind doubles every 10 mph, so your panel needs to be mounted TIGHT or else it'll rip off. I have a friend who had a pair of flexible 100W solar panels on his trailer roof. They were taped down using Eternabond. If you've never used that stuff it's like duct tape and 3M VHB on steroids, and it makes a water tight seal. Still the airflow across the roof caused his panel to pop loose on the highway at 75 mph one trip, at which point the panel became a sail and broke away at the MC4 connectors. Not sure how it happened but we think some water got underneath which loosened the tape

Moral: I wouldn't try to mount a flexible panel to your vehicle with any sort of air gap under it. Just sayin'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom