Hood insulation pad (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.marklowimagery.com
After changing the oil, I forgot to put the filler cap back on and drove a couple of days before realizing what I had done. Needless to say, it sprayed out and saturated the hood pad and it constantly wets the engine and radiator top. Since some of the fasteners particularly the back corners and torn and hanging down, I guess it is time to replace the pad. My question though is it necessary to use the pad or could it be removed? I know that it helps to keep the heat from transferring to the painted outside surface thus protecting the paint somewhat. Is an OEM replacement expensive and with shipping etc. And what have some of you done in this situation? Also what dangers to engine could occur while running without oil filler cap installed?

That's actually a really good price considering I was just going to go with a heat deflector pad like Second Skin and it cost more than that I think

what if you use something like Peel and Seal ?

I have used this for sound proofing, an now I wonder if this is another possible application.

The aluminum layer on it should work as a heat shield

I am need to replace mine... I am interested in options

After changing the oil, I forgot to put the filler cap back on and drove a couple of days before realizing what I had done. Needless to say, it sprayed out and saturated the hood pad and it constantly wets the engine and radiator top. Since some of the fasteners particularly the back corners and torn and hanging down, I guess it is time to replace the pad. My question though is it necessary to use the pad or could it be removed? I know that it helps to keep the heat from transferring to the painted outside surface thus protecting the paint somewhat. Is an OEM replacement expensive and with shipping etc. And what have some of you done in this situation? Also what dangers to engine could occur while running without oil filler cap installed?

Part of my pad has torn and one spot is hanging loose, not enough to be a problem but annoys me every time I see it. My plan is actually to remove it completely and coat the bottom of the hood with Second Skin Firewall. It'll keep the heat from damaging the paint on the hood, and has the added bonus of not collecting water/grease/oil/dirt/etc.

You want to make sure your pad is clean, because if it's not it could catch fire. That'd be bad. So either remove it, or spray it off with a pressure hose real good.

As for damage to the engine, as long as you had oil pressure you're fine. Make sure you have enough oil in there, and don't worry about it.

what if you use something like Peel and Seal ?

I have used this for sound proofing, an now I wonder if this is another possible application.

The aluminum layer on it should work as a heat shield

I am need to replace mine... I am interested in options

DON'T use peel and seal or any other asphalt based product in the engine bay. Engine bay temps can break 150* easily, just on the road. Peel and seal is good to about 120* or so, and that's not when it's hanging upside down.

Butyl products should work (have a higher temp range), but don't skimp here. Anything you put on it could fall onto the engine, either causing mechanical damage or catching fire.

Good point on the temperature ! I can see that thing just melting away

It was my understanding that the hood pad is for engine fires. Engine catches on fire, melts plastic grommets, pad falls on engine and "smothers" fire.

but then again maybe I dreamed it.

It was my understanding that the hood pad is for engine fires. Engine catches on fire, melts plastic grommets, pad falls on engine and "smothers" fire.

Sounds logical. Mine has been off for probably 5 years. Paint looks great, no complaints here.

I really doubt that. For one thing, all or nearly all the grommets would have to melt. For another, in order for them to melt you'd have to have one heck of a fire going.

Even if they melted, and the hood pad dropped, you're only looking at removing a small amount of space. There's a reason that the hood pad is shaped and has indentations in it, there's not that much room between the engine and hood as it is. What might happen is the pad drops and removes enough oxygen from the fire that it goes from a raging inferno to a smolder, but as soon as you pop the hood open you'll expose that smolder to lots of oxygen, and the fire will start ripping again.

There's too much open area around/under/in front of/behind the engine anyway. Even if the hood pad dropped there's plenty of space for oxygen to make its way to the fire.

I believe the hood pad is for a couple reasons. One is that it is actually a sound dampener, without it a lot of engine noise can come through the hood and then through the windshield. Another is for heat protection. No pad wasn't a big deal when autos didn't use a clear coat, but now that they have a clear the heat can damage it quite easily. As we all know just the sun alone can damage it, for most folks you are talking maybe 120* F on a hot day (figuring 90*-100* ambient). The engine bay can easily reach 150* F, which would damage the clear much quicker than the sun alone.

Newer clears are much better than old, but they are still affected by it.

There are some other reasons for it, helps weight the hood and reduce/prevent hood flutter that older vehicles could get. Tends to clean up the "look" when you have the hood open (important for a $50k luxury SUV). That sort of thing.

FWIW my pops is a firefighter of 30 years and has been on many a car fire, I've never heard of the hood pad having an affect on a car fire. From what I've heard, car fires tend to start low anyway, often oil/fuel dripping down onto something hot (often exhaust), or an electrical fire (wire rubbed through and shorting to ground, wiring overheating due to being undersized, etc). It's certainly possible that the pad acting as a fire suppressant is possible, but IMHO it's more likely to actually aid a fire than suppress it. Think about what would happen to the pad if you left the oil cap off and headed down the freeway.....

Mine got ripped out a couple years ago, and everyone at that time said I would bake the paint. So I got an aftermarket one when i ordered my sound deadening - and it's sat in a box in the garage for 2-3+ years. Paint is no worse on the hood than anywhere else on the truck.

You could clean it. Spray it down with some simple green or something then rinse.

You are correct, that is one of the purposes for that pad. It is like a fire blanket... If you have ever pulled one apart it even looks like a fire blanket! However the grommets don't have to melt for it to drop. It's a really cool idea, IMO.

Same crap happened to me. Jiffy Lube forgot my cap, and I didn't realize for 2 days, truck drove fine, lost about 1 1/2 quart - good thing it holds 8...

Engine was saturated with oil, pad is saturated as well. Boy, did I let Jiffy Lube have it.... I now have the clips to pull and clean the pad, but it is pretty fragile, cant scrub, etc. Figure I'll do it when I install my GPX hood vents.

So, I feel your pain, Brutha. But been about 8 months and 112 deg temps in Vegas, and no engine fires (yet).:hmm:

x3 on the fire blanket theory. I've been told that before on different vehicles and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a dream.

I'm not sure it does protect the paint. My paint is looking a bit faded in that area and the pad is still hanging on. Probably has to do with how much UV exposure it has gotten (garaged or not).

I had good success cleaning mine with a citrus cleaner from NAPA and hot water. Comes in a black spray bottle - not the cheap stuff. It doesn't make you sick from the smell or leave a residue like simple green does. If you rinse it a few times. Good luck.

A bit off topic, but has anyone found a good product to mend small knicks/cuts in the fabric overlay of the "fire blanket"?

My Local Toyota dealership (Santa Cruz CA) wants $170 for the underhood insulator pad! Unfortunately, Dan can't ship them as shipping is prohibitively expensive. Anyone found a good alternate source for a suitable replacement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom