Homemade tire carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So thanks to Wildyoats I decided to build a tire carrier. It looked fairly simple all I had to do was borrow a welder from a buddy and try to weld. Let me know what you guys think and any ideas, by the way its not done yet, gotta make license plate braket and light.

By the way if you were wondering what that little shiny sticker is on it, it was a piece of chrome moly left over from a frinds wrecked dragster.

Cheers:beer:
h.JPG
u.JPG
hhg.JPG

very interesting. I've been wondering as of late what kind of support was under the corner. I see you added allot.

Home made tirecarrier

Just a couple more pics.:beer:

Take an easy on some of the welds:whoops:
u.JPG
yyt.JPG
hjtt.JPG

home made tirecarrier some more

Here are some more
lk.JPG
dg.JPG
-p-.JPG

That's not going to be easy. I would guess your gas was either too low or you forgot to turn it on (or it was windy outside) on a couple of those, no? I only say that because I've done it.:eek:

All in all I like it. It looks like you threw enough spank on the welds, function over form I say!:cheers:

:cool:

I really like the idea and I think the basics are good.
Here comes the BUT.

I not sure on the latch imo not strong enough.
The welds and the reinforcement to the spindle,again not strong enough.
The nice thing is these items are easy to remedy.

Good principal but maybe needs some fine tune.

My .02

ken

That's really nice. I like the look with a stock bumper. Did you have to make any cuts once you took the plastic off? This might be really cool as some kind of bolt on kit.

Thats better welding than I could ever do!

is the bottom of the spindle just welded to a plate?

you might want to add some mid-spindle support there. :eek:

hhhmmmmmmmm?

Nah, if properly welded to thick plate, it's solid. That's how a lot of trailers are built - the spindle is simply welded to a plate and it's good for thousands of pounds.

DougM

Nah, if properly welded to thick plate, it's solid. That's how a lot of trailers are built - the spindle is simply welded to a plate and it's good for thousands of pounds.

DougM

but the load of a wheel and tire are basicly centered over the spindle, not loaded 2-3 ft out.

I think you did an awesome job for a first try.

Put a fat old tire on there, and go try to knock it off in a parking lot close by.
Check for cracks, and keep modifying it.

I think you did an awesome job for a first try.

Put a fat old tire on there, and go try to knock it off in a parking lot close by.
Check for cracks, and keep modifying it.

i totally agree.

just a heavy piece of triangled steel will help it out a ton!

my reciever is rad. its just more of a flag holder now.

if you have good support under the latching end so that the bumper there carries much of the weight of the tire it won't exert anywhere as much leverage and shock stress on the spindle as if it's left floating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom