Homemade shackles with stock bushings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After researching I found that the stock shackle pins are 15mm. Im making the shackles for my 40 and just replaced all of the bushings with stock ones. The problem I am having is you cant get 15mm bolts. Would 9/16 bolts work fine without premature wear on the bushings? The difference is .028 which is almost 1/32.

Or should I try to find 16mm bolts to be alittle on the tighter side.?

I would go with the tighter fit. Mine were loose fitting and was the cause of my death wobble.
X2 and bushings are not that hard to drill. Just saying....;)

Ed

Did you use poly bushings or did you go with the factory rubber? If you used poly I would drill them to accept 5/8"bolts, if you cannot get 15mm bolts easily. Here is the size comparison, 5/8" = 0.625" = 15.875mm. If you used rubber order the 15mm bolts or have some pins made.
Gavin

I have the factory rubber bushings so drilling them isnt possible. Since 5/8 bolts are alot easier to come by Ill use them. For some reason I thought 16 was smaller than 5/8. Guess I had a brain fart.

A good fastener store should be able to get you the bolts...even if they have to order them. Ive never had any luck drilling bushings. Just use the 9/16 and you'll be fine. grease em!

5/8 is what I did:

IH8MUD Forums - View Single Post - ROTW - Senor Aguas - Nov 3rd

attachment.php

Last edited:
Nice looking iron there. ;)

Really nice work also :twothumbsup:

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom