home made snorkels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i'm planning on making a snorkel for my 76 fj40 and one for my 80hj45 (airbox relatively the same position and construction) and was looking for tips, pics, designs, material advice, etc. post away

I've seen some awsome looking full stainless jobs around on both 45s and 75s, using about 4inch round cut and welded at an angle for the joints with pro looking stainless catchers welded on top. They were awsome, but looked like a lot of work to build. The other stainless one i saw was just two straight stainless pipes joined with some thick rubber pipe joiner, and the standard safari catcher. That looked by far the easiest way, it it looked far better than it sounds. No bending or cutting at angles. He just used the rubber pipe joiner for all the bends and through the hole to the air cleaner.

Seen a few pvc jobs too, but they all look terrible.
Sam

i was thinking of going pvc purely for $$$ saved. a friend of dad's may be able to supply mandrel bends, but the stainless material outlay is largish. my biggest confusion is how to attach it to the air cleaner box

use the pvc or other solid material just for the straight sections and where the steel bit of the aircleaner comes down and forward, use the rubber piping, just pipe clamp it on like the plastic extention is on later models. The rubber i'm talking about is thick. Like 5mm or so with ribs. Used in building aircon systems, and general piping on construction sites. Its very easy to work with and very sturdy.

[quote author=archie link=board=1;threadid=5315;start=msg41764#msg41764 date=1063727370]
here's a link to a homemade snorkel, HTH. Keep us up to date on your final outcome.good luck. http://www.alaska.net/~akraven/snorkel.html
[/quote]

That is funny, this is the first thing that came to mind when I saw this post. I love the way this guy used a dryer vent for the top 8)

That is 100% top quality Bootyfab :flipoff2:

How and What are you going to do the Drain Valve(It's so the rain that comes in can get out. ;) When you actually cross the water you can plug it up. :))?

spend a bit extra time doing the snorkel head the same way as the safari to stop rain. And for a drain the best way is to build a baffle inside the air filter housing where the input is, and cut and weld a drain catchment underneith it. The baffle stops any heavy drops that may have made it that far in the airstream from hitting the paper element and soaking it. The water can then drop straight down to the catchment along with any that has puddled in the snorkel body. Its the easiest way if you are going to worry about it at all.

thanks for the link, i was planning on a safari type top to keep the rain out to an extent. i should be able to do this easily, my old man is a plumber, just damn slow at getting around to it. i know 75 series air boxes have a similar idea to s79bj40, with a swirl thing (can't remember the name) and a canister to trap water on the bottom that unscrews, may even look into a 75 series air box, but i didn't think the rain would be that big a deal.

can't decide whether or not to go spendy and get a stainless bugger done, or go the pvc way, just for cheap.

anyone ogt any official name for that rubber stuff. i asked dad and he looked at me blankly, and he's been doing aircon for 25 years

here's a couple shots of my buddy dean's setup.

cool. any idea what the rubber hose stuff was?

also another question, what size pipe should i use, i've heard 4inch to breath properly, 3 inch is ok, and 2 inch was also recommended. when do things start becoming asthmatic?

a stock 2f, and a stock H diesel here, both have similar air cleaners.

i have seen similar rubber pieces at Jags that run. The 90 is about $11. I think the 45s run about $8.

I would think anything above 3" would be overkill.

[quote author=bad_religion_au link=board=1;threadid=5315;start=msg42072#msg42072 date=1063805491]
cool. any idea what the rubber hose stuff was?
[/quote]

it was the preformed radiator hose from a freightliner business class truck

now that's an idea. i didn't think that anything over 3 inch was worth it,

ARB will sell you just the top head of a snorkel for about $50.00 I bought my top only from 4wheel parts. I liked the idea of making my own but hated the idea of having a dryer vent on top.

what size pipe does the arb head fit onto

thanks guys

I don't have any pics yet since the project isn't finished, but I am making my snorkel from 2.25" exhaust pipe and ABS fittings.

The shop custom bent it for me to match the windshield angle and then come up to 90 deg. near the top for a cap. The pipe runs from the front of the fender valance near the hood latch where I drilled a 2.25" hole, down along the fender and up the windshield.

All other fittings were regular black ABS pipe fittings and one PVC mushroom vent cap. The kicker here is that you have to get "connectors" for the 2.25" pipe from the do-it-yourself exhaust pipe display at Pep Boys to make everything "fit". You see, the connectors, since they fit on the OUTSIDE of the 2.25" pipe are now just big enough to snugly fit where 2" ABS pipe goes into elbow fittings and such. This way, all I need is a 2" 'short 90' ABS elbow and a 2" ABS coupler for the fender valance hole, the coupler keeps the short 90 in the hole and a screw from the inside keeps it all in place. A 2.25" exhaust pipe connector at the elbow connects the custom bent 2.25" tube running up to the top where another 2.25" exhaust pipe connector fits into a 2" to 3" ABS adapter. Then to top it all off I put a round "mushroom" vent cap on to keep water out. It would take a LOT to get water up into the cap.

I plan to weld a support from one of the windshield bolts and paint it all satin black to give it a "finished" look. I think it will look good. I'll post pics when I'm done. Maybe I'll get some time and post pics of the parts at least to give you an idea of what is involved.

If you have any questions just holler...

Jody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom