HJ60 clutch booster (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Ken, have you considered deleting the booster.....
Jimmy, I meant to reply to this a while ago. Man, time flies. Hope you're all safe and healthy down there. Yeah I don't mind deleting the booster if I need to, and it even runs fine with the booster in place and not working. But since this isn't a daily driver, and I'm still working on other bits of the truck I have the time to see if I can sort this out. I like things being stock, and working properly. But these olds rigs sometimes have other ideas.

I appreciate you keeping an eye out for any good replacements. I've now found out that the earlier rebuilt kit from Toyota is also NLA, so the only other real option aside from a good used unit is that offshore one. Problem there is it start at $138 USD on eBay. By the time I add shipping, USD-CAD exchange, duties, and taxes I'm looking at almost $400. Sneaky how those fees and rates add up.

So, I too, am in a similar boat... In the process of diagnosing a failed clutch master cylinder, I saw quite a bit of leaking migrating through the clutch booster itself- I'm assuming a perforation in the membrane... but haven't opened it up yet. I ordered THIS from Amazon.

It looks like the Amazon equivalent of the item you first posted... either way, I'll let you know how it goes.

Please keep me posted. I haven't spent any more time on my clutch - work is too busy these days. I hope it works well. Even if I have to wait for Covid 19 to be over so I can pick this up in WA state, at least it's an option.

Please keep me posted. I haven't spent any more time on my clutch - work is too busy these days. I hope it works well. Even if I have to wait for Covid 19 to be over so I can pick this up in WA state, at least it's an option.
I just wanted to circle back and let you know that that clutch booster worked like a charm! It fit perfect, the dimensions seemed to be identical to the original and it appears to be working really well... Even more so, that this is the first time, since I have owned the truck that the vacuum assist had worked, I believe stop-and-go would be far less of an annoyance now. 😎 If yours is shot, I highly recommend.

I just wanted to circle back and let you know that that clutch booster worked like a charm! It fit perfect, the dimensions seemed to be identical to the original and it appears to be working really well... Even more so, that this is the first time, since I have owned the truck that the vacuum assist had worked, I believe stop-and-go would be far less of an annoyance now. 😎 If yours is shot, I highly recommend.
Funny I was just thinking about this yesterday, wondering if you had had a chance to install the booster. So thanks for coming back to update this thread, it's a huge help. I just ordered mine! Thankfully this qualifies for shipping to Canada. It's crazy how many businesses don't ship north of the border.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting this installed. I can tell you that as soon as my unit it failed, it was very obvious. The pedal effort without this is not terrible, but what a nice difference it is to have this working.

Thanks again.

So, I just installed my new booster. But it doesn't work properly. The pedal just falls to the floor unless I pump it about 10 times, then it builds resistance and disengages the clutch. @LyndenCruiser79 , did you use that black plastic cover that was on the back side of the booster? I took that off, and reused the one that was on the original booster. I wonder if that might be causing an issue.

If I remove the vacuum line from the booster, it works fine. And now my 4WD is engaged all the time. I think the new booster is not playing nice with the vacuum system.

So, I just installed my new booster. But it doesn't work properly. The pedal just falls to the floor unless I pump it about 10 times, then it builds resistance and disengages the clutch. @LyndenCruiser79 , did you use that black plastic cover that was on the back side of the booster? I took that off, and reused the one that was on the original booster. I wonder if that might be causing an issue.

If I remove the vacuum line from the booster, it works fine. And now my 4WD is engaged all the time. I think the new booster is not playing nice with the vacuum system.
That's interesting, I didn't have any issues like that with mine... You could pull the master cylinder away from the booster and ensure that the push rod is engaging properly. If you separate the master from the booster you will have an opportunity to measure the distance of push rod travel. I had a volunteer measure the distance of the stroke. I had a fair amount of screwing around with the push rod adjustment. There is a write up in the fsm on push rod/pedal adjustment... Let me know if you need it.

With the pedal hitting the floor and having to build pressure... That honestly sounds like a air in the clutch line issue... If the booster/push rod assembly looks legit I would consider doing a clutch bleed... Not the most fun way to spend a Saturday morning but that could be the issue.

As for the black plastic thing...I did use the new one but I'm not sure if using the old one would explain the problems that you are experiencing.

Keep me updated on what you find.

Side note: I had to adjust the pedal engagement adjustment also... Where the u bracket connects to the actual clutch pedal... But my setup is pretty a-typical, the slave cylinder is a Jeep tj slave... This is part of the adapter solution for my h55f to cummins r2.8 bell housing...

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully I'll have a bit more time this weekend to look at this. Funny thing is. the clutch works perfectly fine if I disconnect the vacuum from the booster. Once the vacuum is connected, the pedal goes to the floor and I can't shift into gear. Pump it a bunch of time really quickly (maybe this uses up all the vacuum), then it works. But if it builds vacuum again the pedal goes to the floor.
I've checked the push rod travel before when I installed my brake booster, so I have an idea of how to do this one. Once I've had a chance to check this out I'll report back.

EDIT: I should also mention everything in the system is brand new, and has worked perfectly until I installed this booster.

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully I'll have a bit more time this weekend to look at this. Funny thing is. the clutch works perfectly fine if I disconnect the vacuum from the booster. Once the vacuum is connected, the pedal goes to the floor and I can't shift into gear. Pump it a bunch of time really quickly (maybe this uses up all the vacuum), then it works. But if it builds vacuum again the pedal goes to the floor.
I've checked the push rod travel before when I installed my brake booster, so I have an idea of how to do this one. Once I've had a chance to check this out I'll report back.

EDIT: I should also mention everything in the system is brand new, and has worked perfectly until I installed this booster.
Do you feel suction on that line with your thumb when you pull it off the booster?

Yes, there is suction. I'm heading out to the truck now to take this back off and replace that black plastic cover it came with. Can't imagine that's causing an issue, but I'll report back soon....

It's working! And it always was as far as I can tell. But maybe it's working a bit too well. There is really no resistance to the pedal at all. I feel like it lacks feedback right now, but maybe I'll get used to it. I need to drive it some more. The black cover that came with the unit doesn't fit the aluminum booster spacer, so I left both covers off for testing. I think I'll put the factory one back on before I button this up completely.
And the issue with 4WD being engaged all the time turned out to be a non-issue. Either me, or one of my kids put the transfer in to 4Lo. I didn't notice. That also explains why the clutch seemed to be really "grabby" the first time I tested it out. 4Lo will do that!
Anyway, @LyndenCruiser79 thanks for your replies and help on this. I'm happy to have a working booster again, even if the clutch is lighter than a new Honda Civic.

whats up Mr. George .......... :cool:

1557320401346 - Copy - Copy1.png

It's working! And it always was as far as I can tell. But maybe it's working a bit too well. There is really no resistance to the pedal at all. I feel like it lacks feedback right now, but maybe I'll get used to it. I need to drive it some more. The black cover that came with the unit doesn't fit the aluminum booster spacer, so I left both covers off for testing. I think I'll put the factory one back on before I button this up completely.
And the issue with 4WD being engaged all the time turned out to be a non-issue. Either me, or one of my kids put the transfer in to 4Lo. I didn't notice. That also explains why the clutch seemed to be really "grabby" the first time I tested it out. 4Lo will do that!
Anyway, @LyndenCruiser79 thanks for your replies and help on this. I'm happy to have a working booster again, even if the clutch is lighter than a new Honda Civic.
Awesome! Glad to hear that it's working so well you thought it was broken 🤣. Enjoy that race spec clutch!

I bit the bullet and bought clutch booster off e bay took a while from China but exactly what I needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom