HJ60 clutch booster (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

georgebj60

SILVER Star
Threads
Well, my clutch booster was working great, until it wasn't. I could feel it go out half-way down the pedal stroke. The vacuum is good as the brake booster is working fine, and when I removed the vacuum line off the clutch booster I heard a good 'whoosh" of air getting sucked in.

Now in 2020, there is this option available on eBay. But I'm a bit leary of buying one of these. Anyone know if my current unit can be rebuilt? There is a place in Ontario, Canada that specializes in booster rebuilds, but they won't touch this one.

Any other options out there? Anyone in BC have a good used one available?

IMG_20200602_195526.jpg

Hey George I got a booster rebuild kit from either Amayama or Partsouq that solved all my problems. Or you can blank off that hose and have a more manly clutch. I drove my truck for a decade before realizing that the clutch booster didn't work- and now, having repaired it, I think the clutch feels too easy...like a Corolla or something...

The main issue with a leaky clutch booster is that is will bleed vacuum from your brake booster and make IT lose effectiveness...

I replaced my 60 booster with an 80 booster. Bolted right in,
option. It improves braking. I don’t know of anyone in Vancouver rebuilding them.
J Barron would be the contact to advise, I don’t have his contact info though.
EDIT: Sorry, misread it as brake booster. If you are having issues in Sept still, send me a PM.
I don't get back home until Sept 3. I could look through my parts bin for you

Last edited:
Hey George I got a booster rebuild kit from either Amayama or Partsouq that solved all my problems. Or you can blank off that hose and have a more manly clutch. I drove my truck for a decade before realizing that the clutch booster didn't work- and now, having repaired it, I think the clutch feels too easy...like a Corolla or something...

The main issue with a leaky clutch booster is that is will bleed vacuum from your brake booster and make IT lose effectiveness...

A rebuild kit. Didn't know that was available. For sure that's a good start.

After having the booster, I would really like to keep it. One day in traffic, I could see cursing myself up and down for not fixing it now.

This is Megazip. Not sure if the year works but they have one for $158 USD If this is the one, then punch the part number into
Amayama and see what they have in Canadian dollars. usually they are cheaper.

This is Megazip. Not sure if the year works but they have one for $158 USD If this is the one, then punch the part number into
Amayama and see what they have in Canadian dollars. usually they are cheaper.
Yeah, not the right year. Thanks for looking though. The one for my year (87) is NLA according to most sites. I wonder how much difference there could be. Unfortunately, it's a bit pricey to take a chance to find out.

If you emailed Megazip they have tech people who might have the answer.
Best way would be to check part numbers from this year against yours.
I would expect someone, maybe @Onur might know of differences?
sorry this didn’t work. The donor I might have in storage would be 1984

Check part number against BJ74 or HZJ73 same year. Not the first time they’ve retired
one for the other.

Hi George, I just looked at my order form from Amayama. It was 3 years ago, and the part number for the rebuild kit
toyota 0431860030 is coming up as discontinued now. Sorry to get you excited...

Hi George, I just looked at my order form from Amayama. It was 3 years ago, and the part number for the rebuild kit
toyota 0431860030 is coming up as discontinued now. Sorry to get you excited...
Oh well. The nature of these beasts I guess. I appreciate your help.

Actually the rebuild kit for the earlier version is still available, but without knowing what's different it doesn't make a lot of sense to even try it.

I haven't found any other options so far, so maybe that eBay one is the way to go. I might wait a bit longer to see if anyone has a spare locally since I'm not desperate, the truck runs fine without it.

Have you pulled the booster apart to see whats wrong? If its the shaft seal, that piece is still available from Partsouq. Part Number 4462128120

Yeah, I was thinking that what I would do. I can't make it any worse. Was it fairly straightforward to disassemble? No big spring to hit me in the face?

Thanks

EDIT: I just looked at that part. I replaced that already when I put the new master on. Wondering if I can just open it up clean it all, treat the rubber parts with 'rubber renue' (wintergreen) and re-assemble. Waste of time, or worth a go?

It was simple to disassemble. The culprit seal in mine was a seal on the back of the unit where the plastic piston moves through the back plate. The seal isn't even shown on the main partsouq exploded diagram, although you can see it as the larger doughnut on the far right of the assembly for the rebuild kit shown at the bottom of the diagram.

Unfortunately that would be a hard seal to repair, but if the larger rubber diaphragm had a hole in it, you maybe could fix it with seam grip or something...

One thing to watch for- there is that there is a rubber spacer between the shaft inside the unit and the metal pushrod assembly that sticks out the front and pushes on the clutch master. That spacer can fall off during assembly and seem like everything is working, but for some reason the pushrod throw will be less than it should be. The best test is to give the reassembled unit a shake before installation, and see if there's anything bouncing around inside it...

Ok, thanks for the tip. Strange thing though, today I moved the truck from my garage to the alley, and I swear the booster was working again. I'm going to monitor this for a bit before I do the teardown. This is not my daily driver, so I don't drive it a lot. In fact I just finished the diesel swap and now I'm focusing on the interior. I might get a few more day permits over the next few months and see how things go.

Well, just to update this again. The booster is not working. I might have to tear it down and attempt a rebuild, unless any local donors show up. In reality, I won't get to doing this for 6 months or so, so if anyone has a local donor please PM me.

When I change my calipers for 96 V6 4Runner calipers, I also change the booster for a 4Runner one too.

Bolt on. Only difference is the vacuum tube insert pointing downside.

When I change my calipers for 96 V6 4Runner calipers, I also change the booster for a 4Runner one too.

Bolt on. Only difference is the vacuum tube insert pointing downside.
Really? A '96 4Runner has a clutch booster? Or are you talking about a brake booster?

Wooooooh ! That a shame for me ! All the time I was reading your post I had in mind brake booster. Sorry for my pedals dyslexia.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hey Ken, have you considered deleting the booster? My 61 has this and when it failed was a really hard pedal. I had a spare so I swapped it out and now have a normal pedal. We have two 61 clones in the family plus a couple other conversions I’ve done and none have the booster. IMO all these non-booster 12HT’s function as well or better than a truck with the booster. I’ve run both the 12HT (heavier spring pack) and 2F clutch systems in these trucks and really can’t tell a difference. I recognize you’d have to modify the clutch line but it will free up some space as well :). And I get the intent to keep everything factory and will keep an eye out for a replacement part for you. Good luck. Jimmy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom